R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPahaque Slide Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pahaque Slide Cover
    Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 4:50pm
I recently purchased a Pahaque slide cover for my 178. It
did not come with any instructions and the storage bag they advertise was a large zip lock bag. The video on their website says it installs in seconds, we have different kinds of watches. First the cover is very difficult to put in around the RPod downspouts on you slide. Once installed I saw that the Keder rail material on the cover is about 34" wider than the Keder rail on the Pod. So you have a lot of excess, it is NOT custom made. That excess material weighs heavily on your downspouts. because there is no way to route it under you downspouts. Within a day it has dislocated my downspouts. I removed it and trimmed the keder rail material form the cover, to the point I could tuck the ends of the cover inside the downspouts at each end and not have them overhang and bend the downspouts down. I repaired my downspouts, worked at securing the cover, and am reasonable convinced I can use the cover without further damage to my Pod. Just a heads up In my opinion it is not a good purchase for a $100 bucks unless you are prepared to make it fit.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 9:00pm
Agreed. I had to modify (cut) into my downspouts to get it to go in. It was floppy and unstable in even the slightest breeze. I had to haul a step stool in order to reach to install it. It just wasn't worth it.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 8:30am
My homemade slide-out cover was made to just fit between the two downspouts. It does not have the additional material to fold over the edges like the the PahaQue cover has, but I don't have to worry about it breaking the downspouts. I do carry a folding stepladder to be able to install it and the homemade awning. I would like to get an automatic slide-out cover, and will likely do so eventually. However, my homemade one cost a whole lot less. Pictures are in my mods.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 9:04am
SH,

I used your homemade as a pattern to trim my Pahaque. BLUF is it has to fit between downspouts and not put pressure on them. It is not a ready to use product when it comes from manufacturer. Thanks.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 12:05pm
I flared the feed end of the keder rail. No problem here. Works good. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by mcarter

SH,

I used your homemade as a pattern to trim my Pahaque. BLUF is it has to fit between downspouts and not put pressure on them. It is not a ready to use product when it comes from manufacturer. Thanks.

Glad to be of assistance. Smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:12am
We started out with the Pahaque cover, but installing it each time was a pain. We now have the automatic Slideout Cover made by Carefree of Colorado and couldn't be happier.
Carl Render View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 5:40pm
I know they make 2 different sizes so maybe you got one of the big ones by mistake? The scuppers do get in the way so I just took mine off altogether. Can't see how they're doing any good any 'ol ways. We thought about getting one of those nifty retracting sliding covers but they were $400... And they don't protect from the sides. So it seems you still have to get under it to clean after every trip which kind of defeats the purpose. With my pahaQue I paid a quarter of the price and didn't have to have stuff drilled into my trailer and it has side flaps which the fancy auto-retracting contraption doesn't. No brainer in my book.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 5:49pm
Carl,

Good points. Nope, as you know the cover is based on keder rail size and model of the RPod. I trimmed mine to not interfere with my stock configuration. I didn't want to add something that caused me to remove what my Pod came with. My issue was it didn't attach as advertised. End of the day, I can use it, agree 400 is excessive to fix, but we all have our opinions. Always a brainer here:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply