Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed wisdom on canoes/kayaks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need wisdom on canoes/kayaks
    Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 11:45am
I am thinking off adding a canoe or kayak to the fleet of toys. Big enough for 2-3 folks, no whitewater,, just small lakes mainly, stable so no spills, lightweight,. Mainly for fishing and relaxing. Common size is 16 ft?

Also, does anyone carry one on top of the pod? Is that possible?

Kayaks- seem to be for one person, so I guess you get 2?

Thanks for your help and suggestions
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 2:34pm
On top of your TV, yes. On top of the Pod? No way. How would you mount it so that it would not be in danger of blowing off and becoming a hazard on the highway? There is nothing to which it could be fastened. With a Tundra, a full cab-height cap on the bed and  a roof rack over that would make more sense than drilling holes in the top of the 'Pod. It might improve your towing aerodynamics also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Gregm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 3:52pm
You can get a tandem kayak preferably one that you sit on top. Those are more stable and if you do happen to tip they are much easier to get back into. There is also a modular kayak that is also sit on top that comes in three pieces that fit together you can go from a single kayak to a double. I believe a website that you may want to check out is called paddlers.net . And I have been kayaking for over 40 years both sit in and sit ons flaws as well as good points. There's no way I would try to put one on top of the pod though
Gregm
2014 171
2015 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Gregm

I have been kayaking for over 40 years both sit in and sit ons flaws as well as good points.  

Well, FWIW I've been canoeing for over 50 years. I'm ignorant on kayaks, tho, and I know a lot of people love them.

That said, I think you should get a canoe because it's more flexible - Either one person or 2 persons can paddle one. Sitting is more comfortable and it can carry more, and what you carry is more accessible. I do canoe camping, hunting in duck marshes, general paddling on lakes and fishing in the NC sounds. I believe fishing is a lot easier in a canoe than a kayak, including using spinning rods and throwing cast nets for bait. 16 feet is a good 'all around' size.

A canoe is 'tippy' if you are careless about not staying in the centerline, but not otherwise. I believe a canoe is more affected by wind than a kayak and it's not as good for white water. 

Try them both and make your choice. Don't listen to sales people!

shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 6:57pm
We never camp without a boat. Sometimes it's a canoe, sometimes a tandem kayak. Either one rides on a rack on the pickup. It might even help mileage as Stephen mentions.

Google "divorce boat" and you'll see why you should try a tandem kayak before buying one. They're not for every couple.

We've had the same 16' fiberglass canoe (purchased used) for over 40 years. They're great boats; can do anything and go anywhere with them.

We also have a Hobie Oasis tandem with the two Mirage drives (foot power). Takes a sail too. Check them out - you use leg power and can go all day. Very comfortable seats and it doesn't matter who "pedals" so there's no chance of a divorce.

Buy a boat. Put it on the Tundra.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Gregm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:01pm
Agreed, you should probably rent both to see what you are comfortable with. There are many styles of paddle craft to choose from and without trying them you might end up having something you don't like.
I started canoeing in the early 60's and much prefer a kayak unless I am going to be out more than 3 days. Also, you can put outriggers on your canoe or kayak for stability
Gregm
2014 171
2015 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 3:21am
Let's assume for a moment that you could get either canoes or kayaks safely secured on top of your Pod. (This is a big assumption). Unless you get real lucky & get a waterfront campsite, you are going to have to transport the boats from your campsite to where ever you can find water access. If tied to the top of your Pod is your method of transporting the boats, then you must break camp to get the boats to the water. Your bots should be transported on your TV.
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:14am
thank you all for your help.  At this point, i am leaning towards an aluminum canoe.  The Osagian brand looks like a sturdy, american make product.  Any thoughts on those?  good or bad.  I'm sure aluminum is more noisy in the water than a poly design.  any other brands that you would recommend?

no on hauling on the POD as i thought.  The main reason i asked that was because i have a sliding bed cover on the Tundra (and i like it alot) that make the rack install a challenge to haul the canoe.  Does anyone know of a rack that would work with the bed cover?

Well now i am thinking inflatable. i would rather go rigid, but the price and the room are definitely worth consideration.

Thanks again.  Smile
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 12:04pm
How about something like the V-Rack that I found by doing a search for canoe/kayak rack compatible with tonneau cover? If that won't work, it looks like they have other racks that would be compatible with a tonneau cover.

Edit: Here's something from Oak Orchard Canoe Kayak Experts that I think would work even better. Look for the Style 2 racks.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
MikeE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 10:23pm
We carry a 16' mackinaw square back. It's perfect for when somebody gets tired of paddling. Then we just drop the electric trolling motor and ride. It weighs about 90 lbs. and we strap it on to the TV and go. Perfect for us easy going, sightseeing paddlers and for fishing.
2014 RP-179
Happy Campers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>