Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverters and Generators - Event Date: 03 Jun 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Inverters and Generators
    Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:22pm
I have a 2015 R-Pod 178 with a 13,500 btu air conditioner. I also have a Yamaha 2000 inverter that I would like to use to power the a/c. I have read many many posts on many websites about using a Supco Spp6 Super Boost (Hard Start Kit Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) Relay and Start Capacitor SPP Series) to start and run a 13,500 a/c. The posts will tell you three ways to use it. (1) piggyback the SPP6 to the start capacitor, or (2) replace the start capacitor with the SPP6, or (3) connect SPP6 the "run start" capacitor. Well I have tried all three configurations and none of them worked. Yet I have read posts (40%) that say it starts and runs the 13.5 a/c works using a Honda 2000 or Yamaha 2000 inverter and (60%) say that it will not start and run a 13.5 a/c. This is my post that says a Yamaha 2000 inverter will not start and run a 13,500 Dometic A/C.Angry
Ed
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:18pm
It's kind of rare to get one to start and run on a 2000 watt, often it has as much to do with altitude and outside temps as anything else. If you have found a single 2K won't start and run yours, then it's time to buy a second 2K and connect them. That WILL work.

BTW.. you should state a single 2K won't run YOURS, as obviously, many owners can and do. Our pod in fact would.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 9:49pm
One caveat on getting a second generator. The first one and the second one have to both be parallel capable in order to do this. The Generac iX2000 I have is not parallel capable. However, at least at home it will start and run the AC. I don't know how well it would do in hot weather or at any significant altitude though. We are only about 300 ft. above sea level where we live.

I tried installing a hard start capacitor also. As soon as the AC compressor tried to start, it threw the generator into overload. Thumbs Down I removed the hard-start capacitor and was able to run the AC on the generator again. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:18pm
Something else to try is full synthetic oil.  But even if you get it to work at 80F in your driveway at sea level, go to a higher elevation and/or higher temperature and you'll lose so much engine power (and get a higher pressure in the A/C) that it won't work.  I had no problems running my pod's A/C with a Yamaha 2400 but I was always worried I would hit the limit somewhere.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 7:04pm
I bought the SPP6 and I cannot see the obvious way to attach it.   I don't know of those are both Caps up there, but the small black one has 2 extra connectors, so it looks like it goes there, but nothing happens when I put it there.   A/C won't start at all.   So where does it go?
Kim & Derek
2016.5 176t
2015 Jeep Rubicon JKU (trips west)
2008 Town and Country (trips east)
2 kids, 2 dogs
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 7:22pm
Figured it out.  Sometimes brain must engage hands and eyes.  Next is to figure out how to disable the converter so there is enough juice to run the AC from my new Honda.
Kim & Derek
2016.5 176t
2015 Jeep Rubicon JKU (trips west)
2008 Town and Country (trips east)
2 kids, 2 dogs
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 7:25pm
Turn it off with CB or disconnect battery.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply