Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTo Reserve or Not To Reserve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Reserve or Not To Reserve
    Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 4:51pm
We are starting on our adventure of visiting all the national parks in the continental U. S. and I was wondering if it's a good idea to make reservations at campgrounds along the way before we leave or if there are enough of them that we should be able to find a place, assuming we are not too particular. In our pre-rpod days of travel we liked to have the flexibility of taking side trips if we saw something that was of interest to us and I'd rather not give up that flexibility if I don't have to.
M&M
2016 183G
2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 9:01pm
Reservations are usually pretty important at the National Parks, at least if you're going to be there from May to October.  I like the freedom to drive longer or not as long as I thought I might and I don't mind spending the night between destinations at a Walmart or a truck stop.  Plus, if you're talking about one trip to see all of the parks, if you get behind by one day it might be hard to catch up.  I know there are ways to deal with that, but for me, I don't care for traveling reservations.  If you want to stay in Yellowstone or the Smokies in July or August though you better have reservations.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 5:46am
On long trips we usually start calling campgrounds in the afternoon when we have a good idea how much longer we want to drive. We use the Allstays app on an iPad to find campgrounds. For the national parks especially Yellowstone, Glacier, Rocky Mountain or Yosemite we make reservations 6 months in advance.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
mamcaloon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:42am
Thank you for the very helpful responses. That's what I was hoping to hear!
M&M
2016 183G
2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 12:42pm
ronahue and TT are spot on in our experience. When we crossed country, we made reservations at popular national parks six months in advance or as soon as the would take them. We currently have reservations for Schoodic Woods (Acadia) for first week in September. National Parks fill up fast. We did find that weeknight reservations at state or county parks were rarely needed. Of course, this advice changes with seasons.

One tip (if you don't mind losing $10.00) is to go ahead and book as soon as the park allows - just to get a spot. Recreation.gov charges a $10.00 cancellation fee if done within 48 hours of reservation. We don't like doing that, but have had to a few times when our plans changed.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 12:58pm
State park reservations are also pretty important. We have a trip planned for the end of August to Chatfield State Park in Colorado and all of the <= 30-foot spots facing the lake are already reserved.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 7:36pm
Yeah, it really just depends when and where you are I guess. Best to make 'em if you can. Also, you might want to print or download campground maps before you leave. Pulled into Santee State Park, SC after dark a couple of weeks ago (a Monday) with no reservations and no campground map. It wasn't crowded, but took a while with me walking in front of TV with flash lite to find a suitable site. Got lucky!

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Martinmyer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:05am
I think it would be better to reserve first to avoid unnecessary inconvenience, unless you're not really sure with the campgrounds.
 Post Reply Post Reply