FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlanning our coast to coast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planning our coast to coast
    Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 12:22pm
To All,
We are planning a one month trip to Virginia/DC area to visit my daughter. We are coming from the west coast and we figured who better to help us than Podders that know their home area well, and have been so helpful since we bought the pod (finally got the link thing just now, thanks Stephan!).

I made a map of my estimated routes and I've added some estimated stops and some cities I'm meeting people in. 

What I'm really looking for is help finding the slightly lesser known, cool places to see, and campgrounds on or near this route. Especially from Devil's Den in Arkansas (booked) to Reston, Virginia (booked), and Reston to Union, Kentucky.

We are leaving San Luis Obispo on April 18th and since I've been all over the southwest this trip is a hard drive until east of the Mississippi and then slows down to fewer miles per day and two night stays. 

Thanks, John&Sue
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 12:53pm
We use Roadside America

There is an app. It's great! We found a lot of worthwhile diversions crossing the country.

Among lots of neat things, we found this (a must see) along route 80 in Iowa:

I see along your route, you won't want to miss this!

Cow Chip Capital of Kansas

Russell Springs (pop. 28) proclaims itself as the "Cow Chip Capital of Kansas" for two reasons: one, all the ranches out there; and two, they have a cow-chip throwing contest during their September Old Settler's Day celebration. The town used to be the Logan County seat until the 1960's when it was moved to Oakley. The old courthouse is now the Butterfield Trail Museum (785-751-4242).

Hope that helps!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 11:24pm
fwunder,
 The roadside app looks pretty good. I'll be checking that out. Thanks!

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:09am
I'm duplicating my reply in the other topic area here. I will reply in this area in future posts and delete my subscription to the other posts to keep me on track.

Unfortunately, it looks like you will  not be headed all the way down the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you were, I would recommend Cherokee, NC and the "Unto These Hills" outdoor drama.When we went, we stayed at Cherokee Campground & Craig's Cabins. It was a good location and very enjoyable.

On the other hand, it looks like you will be near both the Creation Museum and the Ark Encounter. We have been to the Creation Museum twice (charter lifetime members), and hope to get to the Ark Encounter when we go to pick up our escaPOD after it is repaired at the factory sometime in late May or early June (we hope). The other stop my wife wants to make is the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY. You won't bee too far from it either if I am reading your intended route correctly.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Old Surfer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:11pm
Have fun on your trip. Drive safely and keep us poders inform. I'll be heading north to Eureka Ca. on Friday for a 10 day surf trip and retirement party..
Rick
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:32pm
Hey rick,
 Did you ever do the drawer mod? I got a wild hair the Saturday and took apart the bed and am playing with a twin bed set up. The mattresses will be 28" wide, which is close to what 2 people each get on the 60" wide queen. And I made the slideout side a little longer, 63", (She's short). I also made the dinette seatback removable so I could get my side to 80". I have an 18" walkway up the middle with a nightstand over the storage area. It will have a drawer under each bed and a drawer in the nightstand. So far it looks feasible and opened up the pod making it way easier to get in and out of bed. I'll let you know how it goes. (may let you buy the old drawer set up If you haven't done it already)
Here's a video,

Have fun Up north! love it up there.
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Old Surfer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:11am
John:
 Boy that looks great. You sure are a craftsman. And I don't thing we are going with the draws under the bed. I thing that some other podders will like to buy your setup. Will talk you later.
Rick
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:44pm
I saw your note on your other thread that you created this new one so I removed the other one.

We live in northern MD and have been to DC many times, and across the US to the west coast and back, so any questions fire away.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:57pm
Thanks Doug,  
I'll have lots of questions as things get closer to tee time. If you saw the map let me know of any must see things on or near the route and especially up near you!
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Post Reply Post Reply