R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQues Tekshona P3 and brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ques Tekshona P3 and brakes
    Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 12:00pm
I set up my Tekshona P3 to pull the pod and everything seems to be working fairly well with the exception of the braking force.  I read the instructions and watched the videos. Got up to 25 mph and applied trailer brakes only. It is working but not applying that much braking force. The video says to increase the braking until it locks up then back it off. I adjusted it up and retested it until I hit the maximum value. 15 I think it is. Trailer brakes work better but the wheels won't lock up even at the max setting. This concerns me because I still don't know if I am getting enough braking from the trailer in the event that I have to apply hard or max braking. Has anyone seen this or have any insight?Ouch
2017 R-pod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 12:38pm
Don't worry. I was never able to get mine to lock up on dry pavement. Gravel and sand yes; dry pavement no. Be careful not to set it too high. When I couldn't achieve lock up I left mine set to max. Over time I developed a lot of grabbing that was very sensitive to brake temperature, usage, etc. I think it even contributed to failure of a brake seal. I now run with it backed off somewhere in the 8-12 range. Sorry I can't give you an exact number but the trailer is not hooked up now. I can definitely tell the trailer brakes are working but they are not trying to stop the TV by themselves. Applying the brakes manually confirms they are working. Much smoother now and no grabbing. If I need additional braking temporarily I simply punch in one notch on boost. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 4:42pm
I never could get mine to do that either. Don't think max break is right answer. Old timer gave me this tip. Hook the tailer up on a flat surface, put vehicle in drive and let TV in idle pull trailer forward. Start at 6.5 on the P3, apply switch brake, increase until the TV can't pull the tailer forward. Or decrease if you have to. If you're not satisfied. Increase but not to max. Just a suggestion.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 4:45pm
 15 sounds WAY to high. I never got my electric brakes to lock, Over 6 volts it felt the same. At 25 mph, I would coast (giant empty parking lot in back of a commercial building for lease) and aplly the trailer manual brake control all by itself. I would gauge how long it would take to stop just using the trailer brakes. It seems that over 6 volts it didn't brake any harder. So I put it at 5.9 volts. 

I adjusted my P3 until the "pull" of the trailer when braking was almost nil. I left it there (5.9 volts). I tried the boost levels, and either nothing or B1 seemed fine. B2 I could feel the Pod yank when touching the brakes. I ended up setting it to nothing after a year of towing with the P3.

If you firmly step on the tow vehicle brakes, and it feels like the trailer is pushing, you can feel it, like a clunk. Set the voltage higher.  When stepping on my brakes, I almost never feel the Pod pushing or tugging, which I think is perfect.

You also may want to check to see if your electric brakes are adjusted properly, depends on the brand and type on their. Most have a mechanical level pulled by solenoid, which is controlled by the voltage level sent by the controller.

I also know what it feels like when it's not connected, which happened once when I didn't have a good connection and the cable just barely pulled out enough to cause the P3 to register NO CONNECTION while driving. I had no idea until I actually saw that when parking. My tow vehicle was stopping everything for maybe two hours (all highway right lane no traffic) and I didn't know. I learned to look down once in a while to check, and also make damn sure I push the cable in all the way and snap the clasp shut. Once I pushed it back in and started driving again, I could tell the brakes were again doing their thing.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
cjscinta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:11pm
Thanks all for the input. I will adjust it accordingly.
2017 R-pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply