R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich tow vehicle would you choose?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which tow vehicle would you choose?
    Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 9:46am
Vann, Nice looking setup on your picture.  Please tell me where you were when you took that.  Thanks.  A great view it is.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:53am
I got a '08 4Runner.

Been great combo for us. NJ=>CA=>WA=>ME=>FL and many points between.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:18am
I recently bought a new R-Pod 178 and needed to upgrade my Ford Escape 4 cylinder to a vehicle that would be more appropriate to tow my new trailer. You will obviously get a great range of answers for what you should get. There is probably no one right answer although there certainly are some wrong answers. I think it would be easy to have a knee jerk answer to get a full sized/full frame pick up or SUV. The answer depends on your individual needs and preferences. For me I absolutely did not want to have to add an extra vehicle to my garage designated for towing my R-Pod. I wanted to replace my Ford Escape with something that would be an appropriate "every day" driver that I could use also to tow the small percentage of the time that the R-Pod would be in tow behind me. That...for me...pretty much ruled out almost all vehicles that weren't unibody construction. Long story short I ended up buying a 2009 Toyota Highlander 4x4 with factory tow and a 3.5L V6 engine (only 47,000 miles). It has a factory stated trailer tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. We installed a good electric brake control and use a weight distribution hitch.   It gets reasonable fuel mileage, is a joy to drive, and I don't feel like I am driving a big truck that would be totally unneeded 98% of the time I am driving it. 

My wife and I just returned from a trip from our home in southern Oregon to Joshua Tree California. This trip is approximately 800 miles each way and crosses many passes and higher elevations. We hit high wind conditions of 30 mph gust, drove in 90 degree weather, climbed passes that were miles of fairly steep accents and descents, etc. etc. 

I can tell you that with our experience I couldn't be happier with my choice of vehicles. Our Highlander could not have towed more flawlessly. I drive 65mph most of the way, but at times got up to 75 mph and could hardly tell I had a trailer behind me. Also I never felt any negative reactions to the higher winds (I also have a sway bar), went up all the passes without trouble, and all in all couldn't be happier. 

So, a full sized truck, or larger type SUV would do the job. If you do decide to go to a smaller unibody SUV, with factory trailer tow, use a WDH (and probably sway bar thrown in for good measure), has a factory rated trailer tow capacity of 4,500 to 5000lbs, I think this will also be a great choice and you don't necessarily HAVE to go to more of a "truck" if that is not something you necessarily want in everyday driving. For others who want a truck anyway, then obviously that will work splendid also. 

Good luck. It sounds like the vehicles you are considering will work fine. 

John
MontanaRed View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:27am
We tow our 2016 Hood River 182G with a 2012 Toyota Tacoma TDR (V6) with tow package. Living in the west, there are a lot of changes in altitude, to put it mildly. The Tacoma handles well with the tow, but does struggle on long uphill grades. Our usual traveling speed doesn't exceed 65 mph.

Note:  You are in Oregon? Diesels are notorious for not towing well in mountain country. Fine for low altitudes and flatlands. Around here, the folks on the flat will pull their big stock trailers with diesels (duallies), and those on the steeper side of the state rely on big internal combustion horsepower.
2016 R-Pod 182G
2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD w/tow pkg
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by furpod

Of those three, only the F150 ecoboost. But that's just me. I think towing trailers is "truck stuff".  And I think doing truck stuff means using a truck. I have never been of the "what's the least I can get by with" mentality, in any area of my life. 

Times change and we should change with them. 

My 2200 pound 171 tows quite well, even cross-country, with a Jeep Cherokee at 4500 lb towing capacity and a factory tow package. If the trailer weighed 4400 pounds, or maybe even 2900 pounds -  where a lot of R-Pod models are I believe, I'd agree with you and go with a truck-type, but a lot of 'Newbies' are into trailering because of the attractiveness of using their general purpose family vehicle as a tow vehicle and excluding these seems to be arbitrary. 

Note that I am specifically limiting this to the lighter 2200 pound R-Pods, not heavier ones.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:00pm
The way they build trucks these days, one is reminded of riding in a cadillac sedan.  Quiet, smooth and one is looking down at the traffic.  Plus the longer WB helps with stability.  The down side is that you are often relegated to the back row of a big parking lot.  We all could use the exercise anyway.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:20pm

Any that you mention would get you down the road. However, if I were making the choice, I would pick the F150 for the longer wheelbase.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by MontanaRed

Note:  You are in Oregon? Diesels are notorious for not towing well in mountain country. Fine for low altitudes and flatlands. Around here, the folks on the flat will pull their big stock trailers with diesels (duallies), and those on the steeper side of the state rely on big internal combustion horsepower.

I could understand naturally aspirated Diesel engines not working well. I don't know of any current model of Diesel engine suitable for towing that is not turbocharged. They should not struggle in the mountains. Even naturally aspirated gasoline engines struggle in the mountains. The 2L Ecoboost Ford Escape we had until recently had better power at higher elevations than the 4L V6 that is in the Frontier we have now. The difference is the turbocharger. Nissan's specifications say that the engine will lose 4% of its power for every 1,000 ft. in elevation. At 6,000 ft, that loss would be approximately a quarter of the power available at sea level. The turbocharged Escape did not display this power loss. I would expect a turbocharged Diesel to also work well given similar circumstances.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Originally posted by furpod

Of those three, only the F150 ecoboost. But that's just me. I think towing trailers is "truck stuff".  And I think doing truck stuff means using a truck. I have never been of the "what's the least I can get by with" mentality, in any area of my life. 

Times change and we should change with them. 

My 2200 pound 171 tows quite well, even cross-country, with a Jeep Cherokee at 4500 lb towing capacity and a factory tow package. If the trailer weighed 4400 pounds, or maybe even 2900 pounds -  where a lot of R-Pod models are I believe, I'd agree with you and go with a truck-type, but a lot of 'Newbies' are into trailering because of the attractiveness of using their general purpose family vehicle as a tow vehicle and excluding these seems to be arbitrary. 

Note that I am specifically limiting this to the lighter 2200 pound R-Pods, not heavier ones.

Times may change.. but truck stuff still needs a truck in my book.

As much truck as might be needed. Wink

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:27am
A little off topic-Jato asked about our signature picture.  that picture was taken at Granby Lake on the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park. 

We had been camping in the RMNP in 2013 for about 3 days when the rains started.  you may remember that it rained forever and the entire park flooded and was isolated from all sides as roads and bridges washed out.  we were trapped there in the campground for 3 additional days until they were finally able to open the high road that went up and over the tallest mountains.  At 4pm, the rangers came to the campground and we were told we had only 1 hour to derig and get to the top before they would close the rosd again because of darkness.

We made the fastest ever teardown and started up the road in the densest fog/clouds I've ever driven in .  the road goes up to about 14,000 feet and is very narrow with few guard rails or lines.  there were rocks/boulders everywhere and it was SCARY!! Once we got to the top it was sunny and bright.  Granby lake was at the bottom and we stayed there, happy, dry and relieved. 

That picture is a very dear reminder of an amazing part of  our
RPod history.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>