R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich tow vehicle would you choose?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which tow vehicle would you choose?
    Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 3:59pm
Anybody using a Toyota 4-Runner V6, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited(6cyl) or a Ford F-150 2.7L/3.5L V6 to tow a 182G?

I am looking to buying one of these and would welcome any feedback.

Thanks,

Shawn
Thanks!!

182G-Oregon
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 4:39pm
I don't own any of these. I am using a Nissan Frontier now after using a Ford Escape initially. I would say that the F-150 would be a good choice since these have the Ecoboost (turbocharged) engines. The advantage is that they do not lose power as one goes up in elevation. This is like the Escape's Ecoboost engine. When we were operating at 6,000 ft, we still had power where the current Frontier loses 4%/1000 ft of elevation. The difference becomes obvious so if you will be operating in mountainous terrain, the Ford would be a good choice.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is one where I would recommend you go for the Diesel engine if you can. It will be a much better choice for towing. I don't know about the 4-Runner. If it is turbocharged, it might be a good choice. The best thing is to go to the manufacturer's web sites and search for the towing specifications. That will be helpful as you decide which will best meet your needs.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 5:05pm
Of those three, only the F150 ecoboost. But that's just me. I think towing trailers is "truck stuff".

And I think doing truck stuff means using a truck.

I have never been of the "what's the least I can get by with" mentality, in any area of my life. Maybe it's the Boy Scout. Maybe the Mormon upbringing. Maybe the 20 years combat arms.
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 5:51pm
Maybe it's common sense...
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
182GOR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 5:59pm
Thanks for the info! I am definitely leaning that way because it has far more towing power than the other ones; my wife's not crazy about a truck hence the dilemma...

My basic math skills and understanding lead me to believe that my 182G (w/o AC) is roughly 3600 lbs with water and camping stuff. The Toyota is listed at 5,000, Jeep 6,200 and the Ford is +7,000 depending on the engine flavor and tow package.

Is the rule of thumb to add 20% to the RV weight jut to be safe? I have also seen some comments where people are adding basically a 1,000 to make sure that they are not choosing an underpowered vehicle. All mountains and hills this way so I definitely want to be safe. I have a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer now that is rated for 5,000 but pales in comparison for the torque out of the modern engines (But she looks super cool towing the R-Pod!) and it struggles a bit on mountain roads.
Thanks!!

182G-Oregon
jalong View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:59pm
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with the base V6, pulls just fine, has the tow package, new they cost in the low $30s. I use a Tekonsha P3 brake contoller & Fastway E2 weight/sway hitch. Trailer is a 179.
John & Sue
2016 179 - built in April 2015
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L 13-16mpg with 179 - 21-28mpg without
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:22pm
Get a ½ ton truck.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:01pm
We got the Frontier after we had an accident in December involving ice and wind. I had always steered away from trucks because I thought my wife would not like one. The funny thing is, after we got the Frontier, she said that she didn't object to them. Had I known that, I might have gotten one earlier. One other factor was mileage. Since we don't tow all the time, I wanted something that would be fuel-efficient for the times we are not towing. The Escape met that need. However, the Frontier is more versatile since we can use the bed to store things we don't want inside such as gasoline for the generator and a spare propane tank. We have a hard tonneau cover over the bed, so it stays dry.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by 182GOR

Anybody using a Toyota 4-Runner V6, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited(6cyl) or a Ford F-150 2.7L/3.5L V6 to tow a 182G?

I am looking to buying one of these and would welcome any feedback.

Thanks,

Shawn

Do you want a pickup truck or an SUV? All of them will pull an R-Pod, but the Ecoboost 3.5 would be the best tow vehicle. The 3.0L Ecodiesel Jeep GC would also be very good, up to 7200 pounds.

The new 2017 ecoboost is very impressive with a lot of HP and torque, but the nod for fuel economy goes to the diesel.

it's nice to have choices.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:53am
If you are considering a pick up, I would suggest that you also consider a large SUV.  We use a Ford Expedition EL and it has the same frame, engine, transmission, etc as the Ford F150 in most cases.  A chevy Suburban/Tahoe or GMC yukon is similar.  These vehicles have great advantages in enclosed storage and additional seating over pick ups.  We love our Expedition and would recommend it to anyone towing a tt.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>