R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGarmin 770 RV GPS - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garmin 770 RV GPS - Review
    Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 4:34pm
Received and installed the new Garmin 770 RV GPS with BC30 back up camera in the 2006 Silverado. Pretty much available now, we spent some time on waiting list. Hardest part of install was the wireless back-up camera mounted on the license plate and the power and transmitter mounted in the left hand rear taillight.   The GPS options are sweet. You can set up first vehicle like TV with no TT, then add a second vehicle which is your TV with TT attached, you enter the length, width, height, weight, speed restriction etc. On the route the GPS informs you of conditions impacting your travel, width or height restrictions, bad road, etc. Also has RV stays and RV services programmed in. Even has visit recommendations. Absolutely the most comprehensive GPS I have ever seen, has all the normal bells and whistles, wifi and blutooth compatibility and voice commands. It supplies a lot of info.

A bit over 500 with camera and hook up supplies, but a one day job.

Thanks Mike
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:20am
Oooooh, I see a new piece of tech in my future.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:07am
Wow that sound great.  On my last trip with the Pod.  Maps on my phone took me on a couple of interesting detours.  One of which ended me up in inner harbor of Baltimore.  Being able to enter the height and other restrictions would be a great help when traveling.   Does it list state, federal, BLM camp grounds as well as RV parks?   
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 2:27pm
Cut and pasted this out of owners brochure, I have not used it yet on the road:

RV 770 LMT-S features a directory of RV Parks & Services. This comprehensive listing of RV parks and campgrounds contains nearly 20,000 sites in the U.S. and Canada, including national and state parks and privately owned campgrounds. You can easily search this directory by preferred amenities — such as pet-friendly, on-site laundry, electric hookups — so you can easily find what you want away from home. The directory also includes more than 14,000 RV-specific service locations, including towing, tire shops, truck stops and repairs.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 10:18am
Mike. I was wondering how your Garmin GPS was working after having used it for a while. Particularly how well does the backup camera work as I am trying to get a setup for my truck
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 4:06pm
Wepod,

GPS is the bomb. Complete with info and warnings if your RV would have route issues. Using the BC30 takes some getting used to. Has good wide resolution, fairly food close resolution, I can get close but need spouses help to hit coupler spot on. I'm happy with it. I repainted my coupler silver to differentiate it from rest of trailer hitch, that helped.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 7:20pm
We have been researching GPS software packages as we already have built in navigation on the Jeep and a couple of old Garmin stand alone units.  Therefore we are not about to spend $500 for another unit.  We have found a site called POI-FACTORY.com that has great free and legal packages that can easily be updated to most GPS units (Garmin, Tom Tom etc.). We added POIs for Walmarts, KOAs, all other campgrounds, monuments, rest areas  and the list goes on an on.  So we really only need a GPS that will tell us where the hills are, roads to avoid and what the real time of arrival is based on actual speed not speed limit. Wish we could buy a new map that was RV friendly but Garmin will not sell the 770 RVmap for their older units 
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 2:04pm
As I indicated in my first review post, I bought the 770 to add NAVAID capability to my 2006 Silverado and also because it is camera friendly, so I now have full service navigation and a back-up camera. I have no expectation one would purchase this if they had that capability in a newer model TV. I also have a 2016 TV that has the capabilities and I do not use the 770 in that vehicle. I also have other GPS devices, but they do not afford the capabilities the 770 does in particular to RVing.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 8:32pm
Thanks Mcarter   My ram doesn't have camera or navaid either so both are needed on my truck.   There is a bewildering amount of backup cameras available in the market place just choosing one of them is a chore.  I like that the Garmin has the camera feature integrated and that it could have a second camera installed too.    
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 9:04pm
mcarter, I've been on the look out for the Garmin gps, but north of 49, I haven't been able to find one yet. That being said, I haven't looked around for about a year or so now..... But sure sounds like that is the one I'd like... If I'm able to find one, most likely over $6oo in Canuck bucks....   :(
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>