R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:50pm
You folks keep following my post you will see I am clueless on electrical stuff. Question. I have a small 2K watt generator that has a 120v 20 amp outlet. Can I use my electrical apapter and plus my electrical cord into that outlet. I know the Pod is rated at 30 amps so I could not have a lot of 120v stuff running. S that possible if I need my generator?
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Our pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:47pm
If I remember from earlier postings, it should run your AC only, or about everything else except AC.
Life is good.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:25pm
Yeah. Not an electricical expert but I know my gen only produces 20 vs 30 so certain things would have to be off. Thanks.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:32pm
EDIT: Changed 20 amp to 30 Amp..The Pods have a 30 amp shore power cord. 

All you need is an adapter 30 amp to 120V.  Plug the R-Pod electrical cord into the generator.

It will try and charge you batteries through the Pod converter. If you have a disconnect switch, cut them out with the disconnect. This will allow your generator to put out all it's wattage to running the A/C.

If you don't need A/C, you can leave the batteries "on", and run all the other appliances. The microwave is 1000 watts I think, maybe 1500, never really used mine. Nothing else uses much power at all.

One quirk is that the furnace, although it runs on 12VDC and the converter puts out 13 volts or so, needs a battery installed anyway usually, or the furnace mainboard has a fit, because the converter DC output is ugly. Found this out and it took a couple days to figure out nothing was wrong with my furnace. Installed a battery and the problems went away. Just weird.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:41am
My 2000w barely runs the microwave,would not advise running the AC ,it will
Run the fan on the AC though.You can do damage to your AC if you are not running it off a 30 amp circuit.
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:15am
Consider that most "2000 watt" generators are actually 1600 watt generators with a 2000 watt surge capability. The Generac iX2000 is different. It is 2000 watts with 2200 watt surge capability. It will run the AC if nothing else is running. It would not run the original convection-microwave, but it will run the one that was put in when the first was replaced for being defective. It would be better though to have either two of the "2000 watt" generators run in parallel or a single, larger generator to supply 30 ampere current.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 6:30pm
What is needed to run generators in parallel? Mine can. I remember that when I bought it.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 7:07pm
I bought this 3000w watt pure sine wave digital inverter generator online for $479. I've been really happy with it and it's real quiet. Runs everything at once with no problem and just idles when I'm only charging the pod. Got it from scooter wholesale.com Better than paying for a new generator and a parallel kit... But then again you already have 2000w genny.

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by rawest50

What is needed to run generators in parallel? Mine can. I remember that when I bought it.

Depending on brand, it may be purchasing a second, identical generator and a paralleling kit to connect them. Specifics depend on what generator you already have though. Check your owner's manual. It should give you the full information.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by voisj

I bought this 3000w watt pure sine wave digital inverter generator online for $479. I've been really happy with it and it's real quiet. Runs everything at once with no problem and just idles when I'm only charging the pod. Got it from scooter wholesale.com Better than paying for a new generator and a parallel kit... But then again you already have 2000w genny.

Please check the generator and list the specifications. The web site has two different specifications in the product description. The first set says 2600 rated, 3000 peak. Below that it lists 3000 rated, 3200 peak. I sent a suggestion that they correct the web site to list which set contains the proper specifications.

If I did not already have the Generac iX2000, I would definitely look at the DG-3000 even though its output is about 25 amperes (2600/110). That is still better than the 18 amperes (2000/110) of the Generac. If the DG3000 is truly rated at 3000 watts, then it is still about 27 amperes. That still would be more than enough to run the AC, but I don't know if it would run the AC and microwave simultaneously, especially if the converter is also charging the battery and other things were running.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>