Topic Closedparking pad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: parking pad
    Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 8:12am
We plan on parking our 172 here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2ou9rIRYYvbkxHdlEzMHBFckk/view

Please let me describe the picture.  The photographer (me) is standing on a level area upon which the 172 will sit.  The high point at the left fence post is 2 feet above the low point at the top right fence post.  The distance between these posts is 10 feet; the 172 is 8 feet wide.  The level area starts about 6 feet in from the panels supported by the left and top right posts.  We plan on using that Escape to back the 172 down that driveway and through a removable fence panel that will exist between the left and top right posts.  We plan on using a layer of crusher run from the edge of the existing driveway all the way back to the end of the level pad.

Here are my questions:

(1) Do we need to level out that 2 foot lateral (side to side) drop?  If we do not, I am thinking the 172will want to wander down that lateral slope, making it impossible to back the 172 into that space.

(2) Can we back the 172 down the 2 foot slope over its 6 foot run (toward the photographer) to the level area?  Or do we need to level the entire area?  We are loathe to do that because that means we would have a U shaped retaining wall 2 feet above the surrounding yards.

Thanks for any help, and please feel free to comment on anything else about this situation.  Our yard is tight, and this parking area is the only option for us.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 3:57pm

You do not ask EASY questions!   

(1) Do we need to level out that 2 foot lateral (side to side) drop? If we do not, I am thinking the 172will want to wander down that lateral slope, making it impossible to back the 172 into that space.

Since you are placing gravel in the area, it seems to me that you would be OK. I would be more concerned in loose dirt or mud, regarding sliding/wondering. If it were me, I would take dirt from the "high" side and throw it to the "low" side. Then gravel on top.

(2) Can we back the 172 down the 2 foot slope over its 6 foot run (toward the photographer) to the level area? Or do we need to level the entire area? We are loathe to do that because that means we would have a U shaped retaining wall 2 feet above the surrounding yards.

Too tough (for me) to call while sitting at the desk. I would have a driver and a "spotter". The spotter would closely watch (from a safe position) the underside of the trailer for impending problems, as the driver slowly backs up. The transitions from level to slope can cause things to "scrape" underneath.

Gravel is not the best traction surface so, take it slow and easy. If your vehicle has 4WD, I'd use it.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 5:07pm
Bucky,

This looks very similar to what my parking area is, except I don't have a fence. My Pod parks parallel to my building front. The building sits higher than the parking area and it slopes away from the building. The parking area is gravel. I have not had any issues with backing the Pod into the parking area. My issue has been leveling, because I keep the Pod powered 24/7. A Bal-Leveler on the drivers side tire has solved that issue. Agree at minimum you need stone not bare dirt, here in TN we have a lot of clay in the soil. Good luck.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply