FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednew to the forum NEED HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to the forum NEED HELP
    Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:43pm
so i have been looking at these 2 brands 

the forest river Rpod 2015 179  ($14,995)

http://rv.campingworld.com/rv/1403078

this is in great shape,  and used ones are very hard to find.  I have only seen 2 in the 1 year or more i have been looking.  Biggest negative is the bathroom inside the shower.  

the starcraft satellite 17rb 2017   ($15,500)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkkNGAMYis  

I like the star craft because of the full bathroom, big storage areas, WIFI upgrade, and not to mention the 2 year warranty. Also it is brand new 

these are the 2 TT i am looking at very hard.  I just dont want to make a bad choice, and regret my purchase.  I really would love some feedback on either of these 2 trailers.  I want to purchase this week if possible.  To me, both seem to be the same exact trailer, except the starcraft is brand new and has a full shower.  why is it so cheap new? not built as well? fall apart quicker than the rpod?  i would be buying a extended warranty with both anyway.  i am pulling with a 2007 titan Nissan so that is no problem either way. is there something i am missing?

input would be awesome thank you!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:34pm
Although I am not real familiar with the Starcraft Satellite I do know it is yet another R-Pod duplicate, wannabe, copy who has now followed others like the MPV, the Winnebago winnedrop, and the Jayco hummingbird, to name a few.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?  Not too sure in this case, yet Forest River has done something right to have so many in recent years make a near duplicate of their 179/180 not only in outward design/appearance but also to nearly duplicate floor plan and amenities.
I know there is no such thing as a perfect trailer yet IMHO i think my 2011  177 comes closeThumbs Up.
On this forum you will get seasoned owners who will talk about the positives as well as the shortcomings of their particular model of R-Pod.  The support from fellow owners is fantastic here as well as the R-Pod facebook page.  Does Starcraft offer a forum like this? Do they have their own Facebook group?  I did note that to join the Starcraft group you have to pay 15 bucks up front; to me that is rather cheesy!  FREE here on this forum.  To me support is a big deal, whether from the dealer or from other owners, but that is only my opinion.  As a golf course superintendent dealer support as well as support from other like minded superintendents will always steer me to make specific choices as related to the equipment I purchase.  You know what you will be in for after parking yourself here in this forum and reading the mountain of feedback both + and -.  Do the same with the competitor and see how they stack up, then make your decision.  Pray for wisdom and patience before pulling the trigger, I lack both so I need to do this daily anyway.  When you reach your decision please come back and let us know what you decided upon and why, so we can all learn.  Thank you.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
MikeE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:50pm
2014 RP-179
Happy Campers
MikeE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 9:01pm
I looked at and researched the Starcraft, hummingbird and R-pod. Started out looking at A-Liners. Saw our first R-pod and said this is where we need to be. Not ready to pull the trigger we looked at the competition. Lots of blinking lights, but hey we just want to go camping again. Ended up purchasing a very slightly used 2014 179. The layout on the 179 fit our camping style. To be honest the support and information on this forum was a big deciding factor. You need to do what is right for you but the Rpod was spot on for my wife and me. We have owned 6 different campers from tent trailers to PU to 27' TT. The 179 is my favorite to date.

Good Luck and do what's right for you!

Sorry for the blank post.
2014 RP-179
Happy Campers
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:14am
Prices very at rpod dealers,We bought our 2015 179 brand new for 15,900 plus taxes so be sure to look around.I don't know where you live but we live in Michigan and are thinking of selling ours for 12,500 and still has 4 years of transferable extended warranty on it. It's in great shape and has been stored inside in winters.Never had any leaks and the only mods done were to upgrade the mattress and install a battery cut out switch.
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:29am
I suggest going to the dealership going in each of the, try out the bed and benchs and get a feel for them and then decide from there.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 9:39am
Have you looked at Blue Book values for a 2015 R-179?  This might let you know whether the price of the used model is too high.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 12:37pm
Whatever you decide get a better deal.  For the quoted price you can buy a new RPOD 180 which has some newer features such as the window in the door.  So if you like the rear bath model,  find a dealership that will sell it to you for $15,500.  Should not be a problem.  Do not be pressured to buy the used 179 if you do not like it (the 179 is actually the bigger seller since most people want the larger kitchen and more storage space).  But we are like you we went with the rear bath 180 model
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
bigjewpapa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:20pm
i was able to find that the rpod 180 2017 model sells in az for $18,464.00.

think i could talk them down about $1,000

basically thats $2000 more for a rpod 2017 compared to the starcraft
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:41pm
What's the weight on the StarCraft? The knock-offs usually end up weighing considerably more than the original.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>