Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExhaust Fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Fan
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:28pm
We do our cooking outside also, but owning a Motorhome and travel trailer prior to my R-pod. At the coast when it gets cold and windy...a exhaust fan is very much needed. The company needs to come up with a exhaust fan after market to fix their mistake of not having one in the first place.
Hoping on here...someone comes up with how to install a exhaust fan.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Marty

We do our cooking outside also, but owning a Motorhome and travel trailer prior to my R-pod. At the coast when it gets cold and windy...a exhaust fan is very much needed. The company needs to come up with a exhaust fan after market to fix their mistake of not having one in the first place.
Hoping on here...someone comes up with how to install a exhaust fan.

I agree. Windy and wet are the only time I cook inside.   I can cook in the cold. Or should I say above 35.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:55pm
I moved our smoke alarm to the other end of the camper over the bed 179.   We run the bathroom fan on low or open the door.  
Marty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:22am
My Rpod is a 2014 178. The kitchen is in the middle in the pop out and the smoke alarm is over the bed in the back of the trailer. 
rkreeves View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 2:12pm
We just did the same thing on our Maiden Pod Voyage: set the smoke alarm off, first meal.

Like others I think outdoor cooking has to be the answer. The more I think about it the more I realize that most of my cooking is a greasy, splattery mess anyway, and that would just stink up and slime up the Pod permanently. but it would not nearly as bad with an exhaust fan...

The point is well taken: WHY IS THERE NO EXHAUST FAN OVER THE COOKTOP?  Not even as an option? An intellectual failure from the Good Folks at Forest River. IMHO.
2017.5 RPOD 179
2017 Tacoma 6,400# tow limit
McCall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 4:32pm
Ha, just returned from a 5 day trip and I tried the shower cap trick.  It did the job, no beep beep beep at 7:00 am, and I used red to help remind me to remove it after cooking is over with.  I had to "take it in" a bit with a stapler.  I think a doggy bag and a rubber band would do the trick also.

Gary E
McCall, Idaho
2017 RP179

https://www.instagram.com/erttergary/
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 3:16pm
Our detector must be super sensitive. I guess that is great if I have a fire. Wife fixed toast in a toaster and it set it off. I could not see any smoke. Shower cap cover in the works. We cook very little in the camper it was just an easy way to prepare toast.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
VermontPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 10:12pm
My wife and I set our smoke alarm off with the campfire outside our very first trip out with our new Pod. The campfire was 20ft from the corner of the Pod so the wind was blowing just right with the open door and who would have guessed. LOL

And we had several friendly camper neighbors around the campfire who enjoyed the experience. Was the talk of the group all weekend.

Now we will use the shower cap trick !

Thanks for that idea.
2018 Model 179
Kevinscamps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:21pm
Stove range Vent.

This is a mod I have not seen anybody else do yet, but is surprisingly easy and quick to do.  I quickly tired of opening the window and running the fantastic fan while cooking breakfast.  Nothing worse than freezing my butt off while cooking the pancakes!!!

I moved the stove back against the wall and eliminated the dead space behind it, added a range vent that vents into the refrigerator vent space and added some prep space in front of the stove.  It took all of 6 hours from start to finish including making the custom cutting the board.  I will be adding a piece of stainless steel backsplash to protect the wall.   I will probably just glue it to the luan, though in theory I should put in some spacers so it is not touching the wall.

Process:

Drill a hole in the wall with 4.25" hole saw cut in 1/2 piece of plywood, mark hole,
drill hole
slip in 4" louvered dryer vent, cut off extra part that goes through hole
staple plywood to camper from inside
screw vent to plywood.
insulate the refrigerator compartment when you realize it is only seperated from the inside of camper by 3/16" luan!!

Buy Heng industries 20" stainless steel rear vented rv 12V hood.
Modify to vent downwards using HVAC boot, small piece of metal, and some tape.
Use 4" elbow to direct out of the vent.
Take off the puck light and wire to the fan.

Moving the stove is even easier:

Just remove cover, undo 4 holes, remove stove (undoing the gas flare joint makes this easier, though not strickly necessary)

cut new hole by measuring old by drilling four corners and using a jigsaw,
bend the flexible copper pipe a little bit, plunk stove in new hole
screw in stove, test gas if you disconnected with some soapy water.
cover old hole.

All Done!!

notes: If you like to use plug in appliances, move vent a few inches further over from where I placed so you can get at the outlet.

Also I am venting into the refrigerator space, which is NOT going to pass code, but I could not come up with a use case that would cause problems, especially since the vent is louvered.  You could easily vent right through the wall and it would work better with more airflow.  I have had problems with dust getting into my old camper through the vents on rough Utah roads despite the louver, so I decided on the refrigerator compartment.  

https://postimg.cc/f3fJXvfr

https://postimg.cc/gallery/iv7gvnjm/
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:50pm
Kevinscamps idea for 180 is not readily adaptable to the 179 model; no cabinets above the range, and the wall behind is the curved front wall so the hood could not be wall-mounted. 

I've considered all options for the 179 and the only thing that I've been able to come up with is a small exhaust fan mounted in the sidewall, to the left of the stove. It would have to be small (like maybe 4-6" in diameter), 12 volt and designed for thru-the-wall mounting. So far I have not found anything on the web that would work. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>