R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTV solution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV solution
    Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 5:59pm
I debated on buying a dish and receiver then remembered I had DIRECTV app, Slingbox, and other apps I can watch on my iPhone. Purchased an iPhone flash to HDMI adapter. Hooked it up to the TV and it worked great. I have unlimited service and DIRECTV app service is free if you have service with them. I know AT&T inverse does. Had it. Slingbox will cost you a hundred or two depending on the setup you buy. You get all your tv services is the big advantage. All I need is LTE service and I am in business.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:45pm
That is interesting. I have tried that and with the Directv app I get sound only and no picture. Other sources say the app does not support this method although others do i.e. Amazon. Can you clarify and am I do something wrong.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:59pm
I have the iPhone 6. Bought the flash to hdmi adapter for the 6. Connected a Hdmi male to male cable to the tv from the adapter. I have the latest 179 with a Jensen TV. Selected source on TV. Picked HDMI. My iPhone screen shows on the TV. Icons and all. Can surf the internet. Selected my Slingbox app and bingo. The DirecTV app does the same.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
dr.becky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 7:04pm
We use an Apple TV with our phones hotspots.  
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:21pm
Flash to HDMI adapter? Do you mean a lightning ( the iPhone charging port) to HDMI adapter. I will try it again and thanks for posting. As to the Apple TV you have to have a 3rd generation or later model which eliminates the cord if you do not have wi fi at the location. Unfortunately I have ATT unlimited data which does not allow hot spots. I would love a solution for all of this.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 7:49am
It's interesting.

There are so many more media option available today than just a year ago. I have or have tried most of them. Ironically, I rarely use them when camping...

As far as available content while traveling, it's now pretty much the same as if you were home. Even down to the local news. How you consume the content depends on your hardware and connectivity. All will consume a lot of data quickly so you will need a wifi connection or a fast unlimited cell data plan. Here's a few of the players I use and how I connect devices.

This is the latest player in the cord cutting sphere and I have to say I'm impressed. I'm in the Philadelphia/New York market so this is a nice fit. I look for this to be a leading player.

Watching on a laptop with Google Chrome or a iPhone or Android or iPad with dedicated YouTube TV app is a simple task with a pretty good first generation interface. The "DVR in the cloud" feature is especially nice for scheduled recording of your favorite programming. You can share the account with six family members. With a little technical skill you can easily trick it to thinking you are in your local market to watch local network stations. It has a nice channel selection (for me) and a fair selection of "on demand" content.  It *does not* allow for downloading or offline content viewing. 

Yes, they are the devil. I do love to hate them. They do, however, have a nice app which I have been using for years. It *does not* provide network (local) programming while traveling and  *does not* allow for downloading or offline content viewing. Pretty much everyone is familiar with Comcast/Xfinity. If you have multiple computers or a laptop or two, it's a great way to get cable in a guest room without renting another fricken box from Comcast.

The behemoth that is Amazon still feels friendly to me. It's probably because they keep dropping off camping gear at my front door! Besides shopping I have been using their video and music service for a number of years. I have to say the video service has been getting better and better - content wise. No live, local or network programming, but they do have a good selection of on demand content and *do* allow for downloading content for offline viewing. I'll admit I have used this feature while camping. Sorta got hooked on the series Fortitude. At home I have the Amazon FireStick to consume the content on the big screen. The Prime Video and Music apps work well on mobile devices.

I'll probably always keep Amazon Prime just so boxes show up every other day. "Alexa, when is my latest order arriving."

Now that Netflix *offers offline downloadable content*, it's a player in the traveling media consumer market. Like Amazon Prime Video it *does not* offer live, local or network programming but the do have an impressive content library. The Crown, The Fall and Bloodline were/are a few of our favorites.

Not really a content provider other than rentals (yet), third generation or later boxes do offer peer-to-peer "airplay" capability and a very good interface for programming selection when connected to the internet. Much of the programming will depend on your Cable Subscription to watch and it offers a very limited live or network station selection (again, depending on your cable subscription). I do use the Apple TV often for Airplaying (casting) photos, watching Netflix or HBO Go and just because I got so much other Apple gear.

There are other options like Kodi (formerly XBMC), Sling TV or one of my favorites - rooftop antenna hooked to WiFi tuner accessible via VPN and an iPhone app - but this is a good segue into how to get the content to a bigger screen.

The easiest method, I think, is a cord. Pretty funny since I'm talking so much about cord cutting. Nevertheless, finding a HDMI adapter for your device is probably the simplest and most reliable method. I use a HDMI cord with my MacBook Pro, a bluetooth mouse to keep it headless and a remote app on my phone to control it. That's one way.

If you are in the Apple TV ecosphere another method would be using your third generation or later ATV hooked to your TV and using it directly (with a WiFi internet connection) or using it peer-to-peer to stream content from one of your other Airplay capable devices. BTW, I have noted that both TV and ATV require very little amperage and will run easily off a small inverter if you are not hooked up.

So, the Apple TV (later versions) will work peer-to-peer without a WiFi network or Internet connection, but what if you want to create your own local Pod network and maybe use your FireStick or Chromecast Video adaptor? You can use your mobile device as a "hotspot" and connect all your devices to it. You can setup a wireless Ad Hoc network using your Mac. Or, the easiest method would be a small travel router like The TP-Link N300

Coming full circle back to Google, the Chromecast is great alternative to casting content (really, handing off). Unlike Apple Airplay, when you "cast" content to the Chromecast, it essentially takes over the heavy burden of streaming the content. It, therefore, relies on an always-on internet connection. You didn't think Google was going to let you get away that easy, did you!? I'll say it again, though, the new Google YouTube TV and Chromecast is a compelling and competitive solution. "OK Google, watch ABC on TV"

I've babbled on long enough and, hopefully, given you a few ideas to consider. I do have a little professional background in this stuff and have been fortunate to play with a lot of technology.

Remember, though, this is rainy day stuff! Get out! Take a hike! Ride a bike! Enjoy the sunset or sunrise! You are camping!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:05am
Yes. It is called a flash to hdmi. Then you use a hdmi cable to connect to the tv.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:07am
Absolutely agree with you last statement.

In the fall I have to have my college football.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:46am
Sorry for calling the adapter a flash. It is call Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter for the Select iPhone, iPad. My iPhone is a 6. Paid $38.98 and ordered on Amazon.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:41am
I installed an Apple TV in our 179 that's set to connect to the hotspot on my phone when it's activated. Since it's cordless, I can place the phone in the camper wherever it gets the best cell signal; this past weekend, that location was in the right rear corner of the camper, opposite end from the tv.

I got in on the DIRECTV Now promotion that gives me 100 channels for $35 a month and since I'm on AT&T Wireless, streaming doesn't use any of my data allotment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>