Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConsidering R-pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering R-pod
    Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 11:33am
Looking at 180. Also considering Vista Cruiser 17RWD and Casita. Thoughts?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 11:59am
Probably comes down to personal preference on layout/quality/price. Due to it's popularity and market success there are lots of RPOD copies showing up. The only caution is Gulf Stream had some serious bent axle problems with the 19ERDs earlier. The 17s are different and newer so I don't know if the problems are fixed but it would be a consideration. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:09pm
Ditto, should go see them at a dealership go in them, lay on the beds etc. really get a feel for them and make a choice from there.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Wordgirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:34pm
We've done that except for Casita. We are looking for experienced opinions - we are first-timers. 
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Wordgirl

We've done that except for Casita. We are looking for experienced opinions - we are first-timers. 

Well stick around here and you'll get lots of experience and opinions. Some of them even useful. Keep in mind you're probably not buying your last camper. History shows you'll either move to another bigger/better/different RV or totally exit the camper scene. Look at this first one as a learning experience. And yes, education/experience always costs money. Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing  Cool
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Wordgirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:40pm
LOL!
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 4:49pm
I can only address the Casita.  We have friends with a Casita and we looked at the Casita models before we purchased our R Pod.  We love our R Pod-I think it is much better insulated than the Casita, is larger, better built and has better components.  We looked at several used Casitas and found the fiberglass shells looked very dull, dingy and moldy after they had some age.  I think the lack of insulation and ventilation was a main factor in their appearance.  The Casita was lighter , thus a smaller tow vehicle was required. The Casita also was smaller interior which was a negative for us.  I realize that there are several models of Casitas and also several models of R Pods.  I think it depends on how many people will be using the trailer, where you will be camping(campground with hookups versus boondocking), how long you will be camping(weekends or longer) and your camping background.

As other have said, the trailer choice is very personal. Check the Casita owners' sites and see what they say .  Spend time in each unit and you will ultimately feel beter/worse about them and know which is right.

I can tell you that this forum has a lot of very experienced campers that have done just about everything possible to their R Pods as far a s modifications, repairs and upfits.  As a group, we are very friendly with helpful advice.  That is very important for any first time trailer owner.

I love our R Pod and would highly recommend the brand to anyone and would certainly buy another one.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 12:31am
I have said it before, they are the biggest, nicest, and lightest TT for sale.  There are nicer ones, but they weigh another 1000lbs.  I struggled with anything < 3500 lbs.  That being said, if it wasnt for the weight I would gotten something bigger.  Although, my 176 fits everywhere and I watch alot of people hunt for spots.   That is soooooo worth it.

RPod people have always been nice.  What puzzles me the most is the differences on the same model/year wether they are made in Oregon or Ohio.  I drove to Nebraska to get mine because it was bigger than the one from Oregon. So weird.   

Derek
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:34am
The main problem we have with our 179 is finding enough time to use it.
 Post Reply Post Reply