R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway bar bending mount plate?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway bar bending mount plate?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 5:00pm
Good input, I think on a very hard turn, there is possibility the extension length was maxed out, which could mean the trailer mount is out of tolerance or in what you experienced it was too tight. I know when I set my sway bar, I use my fingers to wiggle the bar up and down, then adjust till it stops wiggling and add 1 turn. That is where I start. If everything else is correct - tongue level or slightly down, etc, I will add tension but never to max. I know I can tighten mine to where it makes noise when extending I can hear in cab of tow vehicle. Too tight.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TylerK9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 5:43pm
Well, you learn something new every day! I didn't realize it was possible to overtighten a friction sway control--so I've been stressing and straining to crank the lever absolutely as far as I can. And I could definitely hear all sorts of creaking and moaning on every tight turn.

Hopefully between the new, sturdier ball mount I have on order and a newfound sensitivity to over-tightening, I can avoid a replay on our next trip! Thanks to everyone who replied.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 5:50pm
TylerK9, live and learn, we all started somewhere. You know that old saying, a lot of good judgement comes from bad decisions:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:00pm
Well now I have read a lot of personal opinions on how to adjust the sway control arm, but no one said what the instructions from the manufacture said. I got mine with the trailer so no instructions,just verbal from previous owner 
          Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:09pm
Well Moe, mine is a CAMCO, it said adjust to stop, but there was no stop I could keep tighten until I couldn't tighten anymore, and then it said use the screw adjust to add to tighten, made no sense. So I went to a RV pro who gave me the slack no slack method and place to start. When it is making noise, it's too tight. Something has to give. They have install instructions and YouTube has videos. etrailer is another good place for install videos. All about research.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:17pm
Here you go Moe.

1. SWAY CONTROL CANNOT BE USED ON TRAILERS WITH SURGE BRAKES. DO NOT USE SWAY
CONTROL ON CLASS I OR II HITCHES. USE ON CLASS III OR IV ONLY.

2. Trailer loading: Proper trailer loading is your first-line defense against dangerous instability and sway.
Heavy items should be placed on the floor in front of the axle. The load should be balanced side-to-side and
secured to prevent shifting. Tongue weight should be about 10-15 percent of gross trailer weight for most
trailers. Too low a percentage of tongue weight can cause sway. Load the trailer heavier in front.

3. The handle is an on/off device. The bolt below is for adjustment only.

4. When towing during slippery conditions such as wet, icy, or snow-covered roads or on loose gravel, turn
on/off handle counterclockwise until all tension is removed from unit. Failure to do so could prevent tow
vehicle and trailer from turning properly.

5. Do not speed up if sway occurs. Sway increases with speed. Do not continue to operate a swaying vehicle.
Check trailer loading, sway control adjustment and all other equipment until the cause of sway has been
determined and corrected.

6. Never paint or lubricate slide bar.

HOOK-UP

a. Lubricate both balls with a small amount of grease, place socket of slide bar over ball and secure with
clip. Loosen handle until the slide bar can be moved. Extend sway control assembly and place
socket over ball on trailer, secure with other clip.

b. Retighten handle until it stops (handle should be in its original level position). The sway control assembly is
preset at the factory with a tension suitable for most light trailers.

c. On some installations, damage to the sway control may occur during extremely sharp turning maneuvers.
This can be checked by slowly backing vehicle into a jackknife position while someone is watching. Do not
allow slide bar to contract completely (bottom out) or bumper to contact sway control. If it looks as thought
contact will be made or the sway control will bottom out then the sway control must be removed before
backing trailer.

ADJUSTMENT

a. Trailer configurations and loading, road and weather conditions, towing speed, tire condition and pressure,
and center of gravity of trailer all affect towing. To get maximum benefits from the sway control assembly, a
series of road tests should be taken with the loaded trailer. During the first road test try the sway control at
the factory preset force. On subsequent trips increase or decrease tension by turning the adjusting bolt in
1/4 turn increments in the direction shown on the label until the desired control is achieved. For large
trailers, it may be necessary to install a second sway control unit.

b. After about 1000 miles of towing, remove the slide bar from the sway control and clean the friction surfaces
with a wire brush. Repeat this cleaning procedure about every 10,000 miles.

Mike Carter
2015 178
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:48pm
Thanks Mcarter first time iv'e seen those inst, will set mine up tomorrow 
            Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150