FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedscreen tent vs r-dome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: screen tent vs r-dome
    Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 3:36pm
Hi everyone:

We are wondering if any of you use a screen tent rather than an r-dome?

If so, why?

When we've seen the r-dome at camp sites they look like they'd be really hard to assemble.

This is our second year with our pod (we love it) and we're getting serious. We're taking a trip this summer from Chicago to Boise Idaho. We were thinking of having extra space outside the pod for visitors to overnight in.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Pamandtom
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 4:48pm
I can setup the R-Dome by myself in about 5 minutes, the strap on the bottom made no sense to me the first few times until I realized it wasn't to connect to the ground its to connect to the other side of the rdome and hold the dome shape.

It does a real good job of keeping the bugs out of the trailer.. #1 feature for us.  We stopped at a lake in Kannopolis, Kansas... the kids were so worked up by the sheer number of bugs, that will never happen again.   

I can see why people say its a hassle however, because it kind of is.  Its much less hassle the bugs. I set it up in the winter once, and kept the mud at a distance because we had a dry spot because it snowed.  Same with the rain.

We use it to eat outdoors too because, well, the R-Pods are small.  2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs.. the room is nice.   I like what they did with the 2017's and the awning and I can see why people really like that.  Depends on the bugs for me and if were out for a week vs a couple days. 

Derek
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:18am
We set up the r-dome every trip, even if just for a few days.  The r-dome is the main selling point of the r-pod that convinced my wife to get involved with rv-ing in the first place.  Every time the discussion turns to the possibility of a move to the next size up camper, it is the r-dome, (or lack thereof), that the discussion turns on.  Our r-dome is so well used that it is beginning to get pretty worn on some of the contact spots.  If you have an r-dome and decide to replace it with a screen room, pm me.  We might be able to do some business...
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
pedalho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:10am
I love our r-dome. My husband? Not so much, but he is learning to love it. Getting it started on set up is my job and I've become quite efficient with the set up. We were out on Tybee Island a few weeks ago and I didn't set it up because of the wind.
Carolyn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 7:15am
Hello,
What is the difference btw the r dome and the screen dome? Will pick up my 179 RPod next Sat. (after 'class'). I have 2 beautiful old collies as camping companions. Will be starting out doing shorter trips in and around the Smokies. Yea☺️
Carolyn
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 7:28am
We love our r-dome!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Carolyn

Hello,
What is the difference btw the r dome and the screen dome? Will pick up my 179 RPod next Sat. (after 'class'). I have 2 beautiful old collies as camping companions. Will be starting out doing shorter trips in and around the Smokies. Yea☺️

The R-Dome is what they call the nylon tent thing that attaches to the pod, specially made for the pod.  It has tons of velcro and zippers, so you can make it a solid privacy thing, you can open the privacy panels and have a screen house, or you can take the side and/or front panels off entirely to create, essentially, an awning.

There is no screen dome.  What people are generally talking about when they say screen tent or screen house is a totally separate item, unrelated to r-pods at all.  They don't attach to the pod.  There are a lot of different models/brands.  Coleman makes some instant screen houses, that can be set up in about 2 minutes.  (They say one minute, but I'm not so sure when they start the clock.) 

The R-Dome is, in my opinion, the way to go if you want more integrated space.  It's more trouble to set up, but if you're going to be at one site for 3 days or more (that's my criterion) it's fantastic.  For shorter stays, or various other reasons, we usually carry a pop-up screen house too.  It's quick and easy to set up over a picnic table. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
OtteRpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:32am
We love our R-Dome,it essentially double the square footage of our Pod & Porch.  8x12 is a sizable amount of space, while its being set up I am unloading truck, coolers, and setting up inside.  It works flawlessly.  Luckily when we bought the OtteRPod I requested the Dome be thrown into the deal.  They obliged.  If you're looking at buying a Pod definitely worth asking.  Happy Podding!  We were our early in this season (April 8th) and am looking forward to dozens of trips this summer

B&K in the OtteRPod
OtteRpod
2017 R-Pod 178 Hood River
2011 Honda Ridgeline
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 1:40pm
Computerfixitguy you are fast.  Last year when we got to the ERU in Traverse City, MI my wife conveniently got into conversations with other podders while I set up.  Timed myself, 15 minutes to set up the R-dome.  We use ours if we are staying put for a few days, if only over night or 2 days we normally leave it in storage.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
computerfixitguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 2:05pm
put some silicone lube in the track...way way way faster. change out screws with pan heads....faster still.

Derek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>