R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOlder 176 entertainment panel mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Older 176 entertainment panel mod
    Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 12:42pm
As older 176 model owners well know, storage space is VERY limited.  I looked at the speaker space in the entertainment panel and realized it presented a great opportunity.

I removed the speakers and cut away the wood panel in the opening   I then lined the Floor, back and side walls with lightweight veneer.  The FM antenna wire I hot glued to the floor.  I moved the netting in the cubby below the refrigerator up to the new space, ordering a new 4x20 netting from Obie.com. (I did this because the existing webbing is taller and better fits the new (old speaker) space). 

https://www.organizedobie.com/categories/259/Barrier-Stretch-Nets

The second mod was to remove the Jensen TV and replace it with a new, HD Samsung 24" (non Smart) TV.  It is almost the same overall dimensions as the Jensen, but much more actual viewing screen.  I mounted it to a strong board with an articulating mount, making sure that it would fold in and out of the space. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088RIV1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mount appears very strong and secures the TV inside the space for travel, but comes out for viewing.  I added a small sound bar to replace the speakers (you can see above on the shelf).  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-0-channel-soundbar-with-digital-amplifier-black/5225704.p?skuId=5225704

The sound bar sits nicely inside the space with the TV and gets power from the 110v outlet.  The sound bar receives audio from the TV via an optical audio cable purchased separately.  The sound bar also receives red and white RCA audio output cables from the Jensen receiver (I drilled a hole in the floor of the TV space to route the cables).  The yellow video output cable from the Jensen receiver replaced the TV out cable that came with the original Jensen TV setup.  This allows me to view DVD movies. 

The old TV cable connects from the outlet directly to the TV for when I can get over-the-air channels.  If I ever get connected to a cable hookup at an RV park, I just move the TV cable up to the satellite connection.
We are really pleased with the added storage, larger TV and new sound.

texman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 1:50pm
nice and well done. Smile
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply