Topic ClosedRIVER ISLAND STATE PARK, AZ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIVER ISLAND STATE PARK, AZ
    Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:58pm
It's Bike Week on the the river.  The infamous Colorado River Run.  The pilgrims have arrive with the hordes paying homage to the Harley Davidson brand with the sound of "rolling thunder" reverberating along the river, up to Kingman and along old Route 66

I took the river taxi across to Laughlin feeling a little out of place wearing shorts, a shirt not sporting the HD brand, and a British sports car cap (Steve Mc Queen style) in hopes of finding some vintage British bikes...no such luck.

HD, Indian, Victory, Ducati and Honda were offering demo rides.  The only thing worth riding was an African Twin, an knock off of Honda's Dakar endurance racer.  The bike had a nice sense of balance and an efficient work space for an endurance racer but was a little on the fat side weighting in at 520 lbs. wet weight...not fun to try to upright in a sand wash after 4 hrs. of saddle time.

So, I went home feeling the need for a more gentil environment.  Mel McDaniels was crooning on the truck radio.  It was one of those oldies stations.
     Cool breeze on the river, ripples to the shore
     Wash away my troubles to the sea forever more
     Wind and willows whisper, (quiet) is the sound...
     (Oh Lord, I wish is was River Island bound)

I parked the truck, went inside, jumped on the computer and proceeded to book 4 days at River Island State Park for next week.  The park is located on the lower Colorado River along the Parker Strip on the Arizona side.

The camp grounds are unusual as they're below Buckskin Mountain just northwest of Route 95 but secluded from the rest of the world by tall arroyo walls with park access only available from Route 95 or by the river.  There's a beach with white sand, a boat launch ramp.  About 200 feet up river is a small island.

Old man river, I've come to talk with you again

Old and in the way so now it's time to play
 Post Reply Post Reply