Topic ClosedProtecting Your Pet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protecting Your Pet
    Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 8:59am
The last thing anyone wants is to loose their pet while camping.  But, it does happen.  I think we all know what could become of a lost pet that is turned in to an animal control office.  Also, depending on where the pet is lost it could very well become an animals lunch!Cry

Do yourself and your pet a favor and have a microchip implanted.  To be on the safe side there should be 2 of them.  There are basically 2 types of scanners used today for animals.  The problem is that one type can only read it's own type of chip.  Very few scanners can read both types of chips.  So for the maximum protection get the 125Khz. and 134.2Khz. microchips.  For around $35.00 you can have both implanted.  Money well spent.

All your pets should have a collar on them with up to date rabies tags and a tag with your name, address and phone number.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 3:28pm
In addition to the microchip, my city-issued dog tag with ID number and the vaccination tags provided by my vet with www.getmehome.ca service, I've etched my cell phone number into the back of my dog's tags.

This came in very handy last summer when my dog spooked and bolted while we were hiking in Algonquin.  She was very skittish and traveled about 15 kms while trying to avoid people; through bush and swamps, across a public beach and alongside a very busy highway before park rangers managed to capture her.  They used my cell phone number to contact me and we were then quickly reunited.

One very odd thing about my dog's journey, tho: she was actually making her way back to the campsite where our r-pod was parked.  She had pretty much bee-lined her way there and been caught about 1/2 km from our campsite.  How she knew where to go is beyond me.
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by TerryM

The last thing anyone wants is to loose their pet while camping.  But, it does happen.  I think we all know what could become of a lost pet that is turned in to an animal control office.  Also, depending on where the pet is lost it could very well become an animals lunch!Cry

Do yourself and your pet a favor and have a microchip implanted.  To be on the safe side there should be 2 of them.  There are basically 2 types of scanners used today for animals.  The problem is that one type can only read it's own type of chip.  Very few scanners can read both types of chips.  So for the maximum protection get the 125Khz. and 134.2Khz. microchips.  For around $35.00 you can have both implanted.  Money well spent.

All your pets should have a collar on them with up to date rabies tags and a tag with your name, address and phone number.

Terry
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 4:31pm

Well I am not sure that I posted the last thing correctly.  What I wanted to say, was to make sure to register the microchip for it to be able to be traced back to you.   We have problems with people getting the dogs/cats from the shelter and then not registering the chips and they are much harded to trace back.  Often there is an additional small fee for this. 

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 7:11pm
Good point Brin!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
yizit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 1:02am
You can order dog tags with phone #'s and names.  If you don't like the "jingling" you can also get the type that clamps to the dog collar.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

jjbescher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 10:13am
http://www.doggoneclean.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22

You could also get these to help the keep the tags quiet.  WE have them and they work very well.

I fixed your link.
Terry
'10 R-pod 173T. TV - '03 Honda Pilot
 Post Reply Post Reply