Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traveling in Canada
    Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:19pm

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:22pm
Sorry, I sent the message way too soon!!
We will be traveling from NC to the northwest and on into Canada.  What are the requirements for a travel trailer to enter Canada? We will have NC registration and insurance confirmation. Are there other requirements?
Thanks
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:58pm
From the GoodSam web site:

Driving in Canada
Make sure you have proof of insurance while driving in Canada. Prior to your trip, ask your insurance company for a Non-resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card. This indicates that you are covered with the minimum legal insurance requirements throughout Canada.

You must have proof of ownership for your car and any trailer you are hauling. The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) recommends that US visitors who travel into Canada by borrowed vehicle (from friends or family, etc.) obtain a written letter from the owner, containing the following information:
  • Description of the vehicle: make, model, and year.
  • Vehicle Identification number (VIN).
  • License plate number and state.
  • Dates during which the vehicle is being borrowed.
  • Name of registered owner, address, and contact telephone number.
  • Name of individual(s) who is borrowing the vehicle, address, and telephone number.
  • Statement from the registered owner of the vehicle indicating that the borrower has - permission to borrow the vehicle.
  • Date of agreement.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 2:05pm
Ask your insurance company for a Canadian Insurance card this is provided at no cost. If you are stopped or have an accident you could be delayed until you can produce proof of insurance. This card will prove your insurance is valid in Canada. 

You should be aware that felons and those with a past DUI/OUI will most likely be denied entry into Canada. If this applies to you or anyone traveling with you I would call Canadian Customs/Immigration ahead of time. Canadian customs is great to deal with in my experience much better than U.S. CBP.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 2:14pm
I just thought of something else. If you are traveling with minors to whom you are not the parent or legal guardian you must have notarized permission from BOTH parents or legal guardians to take the children out of the U.S. 

I know these seem like minor things but they can sure throw a wrench into your plans.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 2:40pm
Here is some useful and entertaining information:

When we crossed last year (Thousand Islands border) it was a breeze. We had Henry's (the camping cat) papers in order, but were not even asked. Best to remember the border agents in both directions do take their job very seriously and don't have much of a sense of humor.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 2:45pm
In addition to what has already been mentioned.....remember your passport.  Makes things much easier. Also keep in mind that firearms - specifically handguns- are NOT allowed.  If caught at the Border count on being denied entry.....if you do bring a handgun and manage to get past CBSA with it and if something happens in Canada and you are found in possession you will be arrested.  Handguns of any sort are heavily restricted here.  Not looking to start any arguments - just sayin

I hope you do come north and have a great time here......and with your strong dollar it should be noticeably cheaper.

Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 4:22pm
Guns at the border are definitely a no no. Same with pepper spray and any spring loaded knives. Also anything that the customs agent interprets to be an offensive weapon.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 4:27pm
Actually Leo bear pepper spray in specific sizes is ok. I have crossed many many times and showed my Counter Assault bear spray to the agents and it is approved. You are correct that personal protection size pepper sprays are prohibited. Go figure?
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:22pm
Wow, it never occurred to me that someone would sell "bear spray."  

Seems to me you'd better have a very good aim to hit the bear where it will work.  I looked this stuff up on Amazon and apparently most comes in 9 oz. spray containers that inconsistently shoot at a max of 35 feet.  So, if you miss, and p!ss off the bear, you'd better have your rocket shoes on or some other reliable back up plan, because you're not going to have much of a head start on the angry bear.  

Maybe a better option, and less likely to be discovered by border and game officials, is a soaker squirt gun set up to shoot capsaicin extract.  I did find a 16 million SHU pure crystal capsaicin extract that is soluble in alcohol that you could load into the soaker squirt gun (provided you load it very, very carefully and don't put your fingers in your eyes or other delicate places afterward) that may be more effective against the bear as you have a lot more, the concentration is much higher than is permitted in the commercial sprays,  it's easier to aim, and the stream of the squirt gun exceeds 35 feet.  The principal drawback is that you better not get it on yourself as you shoot, .... only squirt down wind.  Just ask the bear to kindly move to a down wind location before you spray if the wind direction is not favorable. I've heard that Canadian bears are especially well mannered and cooperative in this regard.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>