Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTraveling in Canada

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traveling in Canada
    Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:28pm
The bear spray shoots in a shotgun like pattern and is extremely effective. I've been out in Yellowstone every year for 25 years and I wouldn't go hiking or tracking without bear spray. Even hunters have learned in a real attack you have a better chance with bear spray than a gun. Having said that I fully expect a stearn rebuttal from hunters.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:46pm
What was disturbing to me were the number of 1* reviews where the reviewers consistently complained that 1. they only got one quick squirt off before the can was dead, 2. it didn't squirt as far as promised, 3. it didn't squirt at all, 4. the can was awaked to pull out of the holster and use with one hand, and 5. it didn't really bother the bear [the reviewer claimed it contained a deer "extract."  They also note that it's a 2% capsaicin concentration.  Heck, I put more than that on my eggs in the morning.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:55pm
I have used it and have been accidentally spray with it and I'm a believer.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
bob-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 7:43am
 It's a great year to take a trip to Canada.  The Canadian National Parks are free this year.  (It's Canada's 150th Birthday).  You can order a pass online at the Parks Canada website.  

We made a trip to Victoria earlier this year without the trailer. We will be spending time in Banff and Jasper NPs  later this year with the RPod.  The exchange rate is around $1.00 US to 1.35 Cdn dollars.  Much better than 2013 when we towed the RPod to Alaska.
2015 RPOD 178 HRE (2015- ) 2010 RPOD 171 (2009-2015)
2010 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 8:09am
Thanks for all of t he great information!
We are really looking forward to this trip and are starting to make our more definite plans and reservations. We have no kids and will take no guns or pets,  but we will take our bear spray. We have been carrying it for years( not the same canister! ) 
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Hi-Line View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:58pm
As far as Ronahue's comment about bear spray, no rebuttal from this hunter! I've lived in Montana for 40 years and very few hikers or hunters venture into grizzly country without it. I also worked for Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks for many years and know several bear biologists. They all recommend carrying bear spray. It has saved many people from death or injury. That said, I hope I'm never in a position to find out how well it works!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 4:30pm
Total Agreement Hi-Line.  My wife and I have been to Glacier N.P. and other areas in Montana hiking.  We always carry the "spray" with us when hiking.  I have often thought however IF a grizzly came toward us if the wind would be blowing down "correctly" or in our face, would I be able to hold the can steady, would I be able to wait to shoot until the right distance, ect.  Hopefully it won't come to that yet it is good to be prepard/ready just in case.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12