R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSewer Vent - Event Date: 05 Dec 2017 - 06 Dec 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Sewer Vent
    Posted: 14 May 2017 at 11:31am
2017 RP180.  Has anyone replace the existing black sewer vent with a Camco Cyclone Sewer Vent?  Just from initial looking at the factory vent, it is quite larger pipe than the Cyclone.  Any advice greatley appreciated.
Dan
2017 RP-180
Never leave a fallen comrade behind.
Edward_Larkin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:21pm
I know this is a very old post, but I was just considering upgrading my factory mushroom vent to this same Camco Cyclone Sewer Vent on my new 2021 RP-171 and had the same questions/concerns. Did you end up doing this? Or has anyone ever used this vent on an R-POD? It was recommended to my by my father who's a long time RV owner.

I'm specifically looking at this listing.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:01pm
But why do it, are you getting a sewer smell? I don't see the benefit if not?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 8:58pm
It 'rotes' 360 degrees, so it must be good, right?
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Edward_Larkin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 11:16pm
Yea, it's a fair point. Our RP-171 is brand new, so no. I don't have any smell. I guess you can chalk my interest up to enthusiasm at having a new toy (the trailer,) and listening to my father who recommended it. I can only assume he, at one time, had a smell. Though he also has never owned an R-POD. 

We do intend to use the wet bath exclusively at camp sites. So that might push our usage up a bit more than most as I gather most people tend to try and avoid the use of the wet bath when possible. Part of the reason we purchased the trailer is to avoid public restrooms in the time of COVID. But still, we've got no smell to force the use of this vent right now.

Y'all are convincing me that I should probably just cool it and wait until I have a problem before I try and solve it. Smile
2021 RP-171
2017 Kia Sedona
Family of 4

"Let's go have an adventure!"
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 5:27am
We have owned our 177 since March 2011 and have not ever noticed a smell at ground level.  Now when I have been up on the roof washing it there have been a few occasions I have noticed "the smell" but only rarely and that is something I do not typically participate in when traveling.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Edward_Larkin

Y'all are convincing me that I should probably just cool it and wait until I have a problem before I try and solve it. Smile

As my daddy always said, "if it ain't broke don't fix it".Tongue

I have had smells in my wet bath, as have many others. The usual cause is letting the traps dry out from lack of use. That won't be your problem with 4 people using the bathroom. Be sure to wipe the bath down and dry everything out after showering and get any wet towels etc out of there, otherwise it will stay damp all the time and grow mold.

If you do the math on how much positive pressure at the top of a vent stack from the wind it takes to push air past the water in a trap its very unlikely that that could ever happen. Direct Cat 3 hurricane winds still exert less pressure than a one inch water column. Traps are designed with at least 2 inches of water seal.  In my house on the NC Outer Banks I never once got a sewer smell even in the strongest blows. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:18am
+1 on the dry shower trap. Much of the "sewage" smell is actually coming from the gray water tank through a dry trap.

One other thing--don't run the vent fan when you flush. It will pull stinky air from the black water tank since there is a straight shot to the tank and no trap. That is the same as the traps in the sink and shower. The fan will pull stinky air from them if you don't have enough windows open. It will pull from the source with the least resistance.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Edward_Larkin

I have gone weeks with 1/2 full black tank and never get a smell. You might want to wait and see. Now one thing that makes a difference is your septic treatment. All treatments are not created equally. My personal favorite is from thetford, it's called Aqua Kem. It's a thick gooey blue liquid. It costs a little more than some others, but, I think it's well worth it. I tried 3 or 4 different types (with bad results, odors) before settling on this one. Others will recommend other things, but this is what works for me. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 10:37am
Just make sure whatever type of treatment you use does not list formaldehyde as an ingredient. That stuff will mess up the sewage systems by killing off the bacteria needed to break down wastes in sewage systems, whether septic or treatment plant. Biological treatments are better. The Bio-Geo method is one I just recently saw and tried. It got my black tank sensors cleaned off, even without driving around.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>