Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew to camping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to camping
    Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:05am
Hello fellow R Podders. My wife and I are new to the trailer camping thing after tent camping for the last 30 years.

I joined up here to maybe get some advice on our 171. This is the second year we have been using it and we are now finding out some things are not working,, like the furnace, and some things are breaking already.

Does anyone else have issues with their R dome? We have only used it maybe a dozen times and it's already falling apart. Doesn't seem like the quality is there.
Revenge is a dish best served cold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:01am
How old is your 171? Things don't last forever, but there is a lot of variability, depending on environment and usage.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by BBQ King

This is the second year we have been using it and we are now finding out some things are not working,, like the furnace, and some things are breaking already.... Does anyone else have issues with their R dome?

Welcome, you've come to the right  place for information (Not necessarily from me, I'm more of a lurker).

1. R-pods have rather standard travel trailer fixtures. One of our forum members has pointed out that a travel trailer is a house on wheels, shaking and rattling down the roads. Things will go wrong more often than with a land-anchored house and these constantly need work. All that can be said is - Get used to working on it, and call for help from this forum when needed. We also have a 171 and it's had some routine stuff go wrong, nothing bad or unusual except for our magical fridge that intermittently won't work on propane when travelling miles to go to NC but invariably works well when our dealer fires it up back home. A sense of humor helps.

2. Ahh, the R-Dome. Beautiful concept, unusually poor execution, in my opinion. The material is very flimsy, we're starting our 3rd year and I doubt if ours will last 2 more years at the rate it's deteriorating. The material used is just not 'tent-grade'. The 'PahaQue' side tent may be a more successful version, I don't know from experience, but I do know the material used is a lot better (and, no, I don't work for them).
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:58pm
i agree on the R-dome observations. My wife took one look and said "uh uh. That thing will get ripped off the first big wind that comes along.

I'm more intrigued with the awning that is now available.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:37pm
Things do take care and maintenance, but I'm curious too how old your 171 is.  And if you get into specifics you are very likely to get some good help on this forum. 

As for the RDome, I think we're going into our 5th year with ours and it's holding up pretty well.  We've been good about putting it up dry and otherwise trying to treat it right.  It won't last forever, but I'll almost certainly replace it when it goes.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:38pm
Were going into season 7, the dome is holding up very well, all that is wrong it has a few tiny burn holes from the campfire. we average 30 nights a year.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

As for the RDome, I think we're going into our 5th year with ours and it's holding up pretty well. 
TT

Thanks very much for the feedback. 

The R-Dome material is not like that used in hi quality modern tents, too flimsy, and a few weeks ago I put a hole in the bottom of the 'loop' for the front long pole when it caught as I fed it thru, and - no, I'm not unusually strong or rough. So, I'm glad to hear that some others have had good experiences with the r-dome, but in my opinion I still think it's pretty lousy as tents go.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 3:45pm
As for the RDome, I think we're going into our 5th year with ours and it's holding up pretty well. 
TT
[/QUOTE]

Same here as our R-dome has been used a fair amount since 2011.  Holding up pretty well considering some of the storms it has weathered; a couple times we would be sleeping and storms would roll in and totally collapse the dome to the point it looked like the pod had a parachute attached to it.  The rods and Rdome would be slapping against our door so hard it was difficult to open to get outside to take it down to reduce potential damage to the side of our trailer.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 4:57pm
I gave my R-Dome away to a fellow member here in TN.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply