FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Needed Distraction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Needed Distraction
    Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:25am
Do you ever wake up @ 5:00 AM and just say, "I need a distraction!!" 

Something that lasts all day long, involves little physical exertion, stimulates your senses and satisfies your most primal instincts? NO, not that!

Smoke 15 pounds of pork butt!! Seven hours in and I'm feeling a lot better about life. Five hours more and I suspect this will be considered a very successful therapy session! Big smile

fishing works too! Wink

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:22pm
Sweet, been a pork butt fan for years, really like the ribs. Cook on SUN and eat for a week.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:46pm

Looking good!

I purchased an Oklahoma Joe's offset smoker a couple of months ago. My results have been "varied" - not due the smoker. But, I'm learning. There is a definite art/science to doing this. It will be very gratifying when I produce something edible!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:09pm
I use a Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smoker similar to this one. Mine has a temperature probe. I got it on close-out at my local Lowe's. I like the thermostatically controlled temperature. I used a propane one before and it was a pain trying to keep a stable temperature. We just had some of the Boston Butt that I had previously smoked and which my wife had frozen in portions to pull out when we got in the mood (vacuum sealed).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:36am
Yeah David, it is a mix of art and science and perseverance the way I do it! I've been using a Smokenator 1000 for years. Works amazingly well. First saw it recommended @ Amazing Ribs. Meathead has some great tips and recipes. I've done his bacon and pastrami - both great! I even have his book.

StephenH, someday I probably will get an electric smoker. They do make a lot of sense, but then I can't waste a whole day and a few beers messing around with the smoker! If I could get away without wife noticing, I would prolly get a Cookshack => http://www.cookshack.com. Recommended by Camper Bob right here in this forum, who has some killer sausage recommendations.

Pulled the butts last night. Was a 12 hour smoke to 205. Finished was about 7.5 pounds. Tried and true recipe (brine and rub) from Alton Brown. I always make lot's to vacuum seal and freeze. Reheats so well. Wish I could package the smell!!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:53am

I have a friend up the street from me that bought a computer controlled pellet smoker. Fill the pellet bin, insert the meat probe and walk away! Definitely cool and definitely $$$$.

Mine was way cheaper. Plus I like the adventure....the uncertainty...the anticipation! Like camping, sometimes the journey is as much fun as the destination.
 Post Reply Post Reply