R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLED lights too bright?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED lights too bright?
    Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:20pm
we have a new 179 and find the LED lights way too bright at night. Does anyone know if there are lights that are less bright?
Dirt Road Warrior
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2017 Rpod 179 Hood River
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:30am
One of the first things I did on our 2011  model 177 was to change from incadescent to L.E.D.'s to save on battery drain since we often camp where electricity is not available.  I opted for bulbs in the 2500-2800 Kelvin scale, more yellowish, look quite a bit like incadescent in colour.  Probably your best bet to get the color you want is to go to Menards or Lowes and go to their lighting center, they have a vast array of L.E.D.'s and different light brightness based on the Kelvin scale.  Pick the brightness you desire and then order accordingly from your supplier you find online.  I believe the bulbs on the new pods are somewhere in the 4500 to 5000 Kelvin scale, very blue and extremely bright in colour.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:15am
Some people also put colored filters in the covers for the LED fixtures to tone down the light. My wife and I like the brighter color. We use the higher color temperature bulbs at home, so it is not as jarring to us. We don't care for anything below 3000K and really prefer something in the 4500K to 5000K range except for the yellow porch light which is supposed to draw fewer bugs.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:41pm
When we first got our rPod 179 2 1/2 yrs ago I thought the lights were too bright.  I was going to change out the leds , but couldn't get the cover off.  A few camping trips later, I realized that I hadn't changed the bulbs yet, but they don't seem so bright any more.  Now they are fine.  I wonder if maybe they tone themselves down a bit after use.  Maybe I have just adapted.
Dirt Road Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:47pm
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. We've did the "LED discovery tour" for our house a few years ago but I forgot entirely about the Kelvin numbers. I'll go check it out and then see if I can find replacements that will in the same hole. I also like the filter idea or seeing how we feel about it on our next trip. But - with all of them lit at the same time - you could light up a baseball stadium!
Dirt Road Warrior
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2017 Rpod 179 Hood River
Retiree-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:47am
We tried spotlight film from a friend who does local theater work.
Started with one set of two leds in front end of our 177 and one set of two over the bed.  Left the others.  Now we have an easy choice of softer "mood" light or bright flood if needed, just choose which ones to turn on.  Works great for us 
 Post Reply Post Reply