R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle bend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle bend
    Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:04pm
More trials and tribulations of the Carolavan. Half way home to South Carolina from Florida, got squeezed by a semi on a left turn, clipped the curb with the driver side trailer wheel. Result - slightly bent axle. Good Sam roadside assistance found us a trailer repair shop so we took it there. Needs a new axle. So we returned home minus the Carolavan. It will probably be a week before they get it repaired and we'll have to drive the five hours back to get it. Hopefully the learning curve will flatten out for us soon.
2015 R-Pod 179
2016 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

"It's a good thing we are going slowly because we might be going in the wrong direction." Ashliegh Brilliant
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:52pm
Sorry to hear about your bent axle. It is not fun being squeezed by a semi. Hopefully, repairs will go quickly and you can get your Carolavan home without additional incidents. It dows get easier with more experience. part of that is keeping an eye out for situations like you encountered and backing off if needed to avoid getting squeezed..
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:00pm
Carolavan, when you say you were squeezed by a semi while making a left turn, were you able to obtain his insurance info or identify him?  Did he leave the scene?  You may want to give your insurance company a shout to see if you have some coverage for the axle.  Since the trailer was presumably connected to your TV, you may have an uninsured motorist claim if the truck driver disappeared.  If there was not contact, it may get a little complicated, but what the heck, it's worth looking into.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Carolavan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 5:40am
Lost again - I don't think I can blame the semi driver. It was more that I felt like I was in a tight situation and momentarily forgot about the 20 feet of trailer hanging out the back. It was very complicated - GPS was being a little obtuse and I was distracted, so not the trucker's fault. I am a bit concerned that it seems that every time one hits a curb it might ruin a trip and cost a thousand bucks.
2015 R-Pod 179

"It's a good thing we are going slowly because we might be going in the wrong direction." Ashliegh Brilliant
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 3:37pm
Part of it is the speed and angle at which the curb is contacted. I have gone over a couple of them, but it was in parking lots at very low speed. I've also hit some significant potholes in our travels. So far, the axle on ours is still in good shape.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:37am
In the words of a famous person:  "Opps."

You may still want to contact your insurance company.  Though it's not likely your collision coverage may help.  But on the other hand, you may not want the claim in the loss history.  I guess you can find the silver lining in this unhappy situation; you can find a better stronger axle.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Carolavan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 4:59pm
Update - we are still waiting for an axle replacement. Over 3 weeks now. Is this typical? Do I just have be patient and just let the summer slip by while my trailer sits in a shed in Alabama. The repair shop says they are chasing it as hard as they can. Any clues on how I can get this resolved would be appreciated. After waiting over 3 months to get the fridge repaired this R-pod is really testing our patience.
2015 R-Pod 179

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 5:28pm
I would ask where they went for a replacement. Do you know what axle your have? If so you can assist it finding a source. To my knowledge Pods use 2 axles, neither is hard to find. Also many FR travel trailers use the same axle. My axle is marked with a Surveyor stencil. Best to be armed with info.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 5:42pm
If you check around there are frame and axle repair places (metro areas especially) that can bend the axle and set the camber, castor, and toe in for not much money.  Way less than labor and parts to replace.
I bent a horse trailer axle to look like a U and I took it in to be fixed, and the trailer pulls better and the tires wear better now than before I bent it.  
I can't recommend a brand name company, but if you check with your local alignment shop they will know who can fix it.  Or talk to a semi truck repair place.  The dealers sure won't share the info in most cases.  They'd rather lighten up your wallet.
Torsion axles can only be worked on once or twice due to the rubber inside and the tubing getting kinked from what I hear.  Good luck.  
Carolavan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 6:14pm
Apparently it is being made by the Forest River factory supplier, whoever that is. Still no word on when it will be available. I can't exactly take it somewhere else - it has no wheels on it. I guess I am just fortunate that it is only 5 hours from home and not in California or Canada. I am very disillusioned about this whole RV hobby. It is supposed to be fun - instead all I get is frustration and stress - not to mention the rapid and apparently unrestricted outflow of cash. We could stay in some pretty classy hotels for what this is costing us. Grrrrrr. Rant over - for now.
2015 R-Pod 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>