R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 9:41am
The light has a mounting bracket that removes from the back. The bracket came with both hook and loop adhesive fasteners and short screws. I chose to use the screws as I did not know if the adhesive would hold adequately or weaken with time. There is a template for the  screws on the instructions page. I figure that the screws should hold with the motion of the trailer. We have hit some significant potholes in our travels that rearranged some of the cabinets for us, so the screws seem like a better option.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Gregm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gregm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 9:47am
I prefer the screws as well. With the Florida heat adhesive does not hold up well inside our Pod. Another thing to add to my to do list.Thanks.
Gregm
2014 171
2015 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 10:36am
Glad to be of assistance.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Weekend Warrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Weekend Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 1:08pm
I'm curious why you go through all the hassles of winterizing and accessing the shut off valves under the bed frame.
If you use an air compressor and blow out all the water lines, there's no need to remove beds and access the valves. Once all the lines are blow free of water just pour half a cup of anti freeze into your drains and your done. Whole process takes 15 minutes.
ParPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ParPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 1:48pm
I'm not sure it's that easy for everybody.  Our Pod is parked for the winter and here the temps over the winter are a long long way south of zero so the units freeze solid.  I fill the system with antifreeze just to be sure, so SH's helpful mods are...well...really helpful.  I plan on copying the bed mod for next fall.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 2:13pm
I hear you weekend warrior.  I went the traditional route of filling everything with antifreeze the first year we owned our 177 back in November 2011.  Took many attempts to rid the cold water line of that nasty antifreeze 'flavor.'  Since then we have used compressed air to blow out the system by hooking into the open line downsteam of the 3 way valve under the sink.  I timed myself closing the 3 bypass valves under the bed, then attaching the compressed air into the plastic line, blowing out hot and cold water lines and toilet twice.  Takes about 3 minutes.  Before that happens don't forget to release the pressure in the hot water tank and then open drain to empty the tank.  Final step, I use 1 pint of rv antifreeze for the 2 sink and 1 shower trap.  We probably don't get as cold as you Manitoba, but will hit -15 F or more during January, normally our coldest month.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Post Options Post Options   Quote Weekend Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by jato

I hear you weekend warrior.  I went the traditional route of filling everything with antifreeze the first year we owned our 177 back in November 2011.  Took many attempts to rid the cold water line of that nasty antifreeze 'flavor.'  Since then we have used compressed air to blow out the system by hooking into the open line downsteam of the 3 way valve under the sink.  I timed myself closing the 3 bypass valves under the bed, then attaching the compressed air into the plastic line, blowing out hot and cold water lines and toilet twice.  Takes about 3 minutes.  Before that happens don't forget to release the pressure in the hot water tank and then open drain to empty the tank.  Final step, I use 1 pint of rv antifreeze for the 2 sink and 1 shower trap.  We probably don't get as cold as you Manitoba, but will hit -15 F or more during January, normally our coldest month.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Weekend Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 2:39pm
Cool, yep makes sense to blow out the lines than to mess with the traditional methods. There's a real neat rpod video on you tube that explains all the steps to totally ridding all the water out of the entire system by using compressed air but I can't recall the link off hand but it works great on these pods.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 5:05pm
What is nice is that with such a small trailer and short runs from the blow out, the blow out procedure takes less than a minute.  I have been doing this since 2012 and never knew about the low point drains until last winter, because they put a ton (not actually) of foam around them so I had to cut most of it away to actually find the drains, when I opened them after blowing out, maybe a couple drops came out of each.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 5:11pm
For those who choose to use RV antifreeze, the mod to access the valves will be useful. For those who choose to use just air,. it will not seem necessary. Air is easier, but I do recall reading some posts of those who used air who still had things freeze and break. RV antifreeze is more reliable, but has the downside of residual taste. After last winter, I sanitized the tank with chlorine bleach and then used a baking soda solution to help remove the odor and taste of chlorine. In the end, I don't recall any residual RV antifreeze taste, so I guess I did something right.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 58>