R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

12 to 6 v battery switchout

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 to 6 v battery switchout
    Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 11:32am
EchoGale that all sounds great. Just one thing, when you say "as long as the house batteries last" shouldn't  mean that you're taking them all the way down to full discharge. That will kill even deep cycle batteries pretty quickly. Shoot for more like 50% SOC (state of charge) max unless it's an emergency. That will be somewhere around 12.2V on your multimeter when the batteries have been left open circuited (unloaded and not charging) awhile. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 11:23am
Nice to hear that you got your battery problems fixed.  Have safe travels in the new year.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:38am
Just a final update on all this: the new 6 volt batteries are working properly and they're great!

I've been all over Florida in the last couple of weeks including almost a week of dry camping with very little power discharge. FWIW, since I can only stay out as long as the house batteries last-- or are successfully recharged with my solar panel--I'm very careful about power usage and many of my little things have their own rechargeable/replaceable batteries.

I think with my new batteries I can stay out for weeks.  :)

I think the problem was the water level as I had not understood that my maintenance routine needed to be modified from the old 12v batteries.

Thanks again for the tutoring.  :)
Julie
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by EchoGale

Work got in my way and I didn't get pack to messing wiht the pod batteries as soon as I'd hoped. I followed Offgrid's instructions to be sure the wiring is correct and everything works as it should.
I have been checking the water level and have needed to add water a good bit more than with my old batteries so I think that likely was the problem.
there is an extra wire with both positive and negative connections it's thin. I bought my rpod used and its been there all along and have assumed it was the zamp wiring and I don't use it.  Wouldn't mind alternatve guesses if you have any.
Heading out Sunday for a couple of weeks; thanks again for all the help.

I have an extra pair of wires, too. They go to the tongue jack and don't go through the disconnect switch. The jack has a light on it.

A simple solution is a 25 watt or higher solar panel to maintain the batteries.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by hogone

Probably a goofy battery question but will ask anyway!!  When Im home, I leave the old pod plugged in 24/7.  Should I disconnect occassionally (maybe for a week or two) just to let the batterys drain a little?  jon

No. If your charger/maintainer, aka converter is good, it will switch to float charge voltage and maintain the battery. You need to check the water every month or @.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 12:27pm
+1. Better to leave them disconnected if unused, less risk of a short that way.

And yes, flooded deep cycle golf cart batteries have a higher self discharge rate and consume more water. That is the tradeoff you make for better ability to handle deep cycling compared to SLI (starter, lights, ignition) auto batteries, or dual use marine type batteries.. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 9:15am
Hello Julie,

That is exactly what they are. If you are not using the Zamp connector, you can leave them disconnected.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 7:34am
Work got in my way and I didn't get pack to messing wiht the pod batteries as soon as I'd hoped. I followed Offgrid's instructions to be sure the wiring is correct and everything works as it should.

I have been checking the water level and have needed to add water a good bit more than with my old batteries so I think that likely was the problem.

there is an extra wire with both positive and negative connections it's thin. I bought my rpod used and its been there all along and have assumed it was the zamp wiring and I don't use it.  Wouldn't mind alternatve guesses if you have any.

Heading out Sunday for a couple of weeks; thanks again for all the help.
Julie
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:08am
Will def keep everyone updated.  BTW, I have 2 Duracells; SLIGC115/6V 230AH.  Stay tuned.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 6:55am
Jon, please keep us abreast of your battery situation.  Yes, as Offgrid points out, your batteries have been hurt due to the fact that the plates were exposed (for who knows how long) to air.

As I think about the electric carts we had at one of our 4 golf courses we went through a fair amount of distilled water!  Each 6 volt battery holds just north of 1.5 gallons of liquid.  Multiply that times 6 and you find yourself transporting over 9 gallons.  But that is old school.  Yamaha I believe was the first cart manufacturer to come out with the 48 volt system for golf carts; using six 8 volt batteries.  The 8 volt batteries (Trojan) weigh about 1-2 lbs more than their 6 volt brothers but I think the liquid capacity is about the same. 

Last year our oldest 12v Interstate (it was over 11 years old) was replaced with a Trojan T-1275, which is a 12v golf cart battery putting out 150aH, not light at 85 lbs, but has performed well so far with our nearly 12 year old original Interstate 12 volt.  Each is run separately from the other.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>