R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 58>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 5:50am
That works out to 30 amphours per day for a 20C delta T (25 ambient vs 5 in the fridge). Sounds about right.

For a hot conditions 40C delta T (40C vs 0 in the fridge/freezer) that would double to 60 amphours, assuming the COP of the compressor stays the same. But it doesn't. It drops to about 1.5 from 2.0. So now we're at about 80 amphours per day (2/1.5*60). And we're still not opening the fridge door or taki g things in and out.

Reality is almost never what the specs say. It's a lot like the fully loaded trailer weight vs the manufacturer's empty weight specs.

Don't misunderstand me. I really like the Danfoss BD compressor fridges. It's just that their advantage over absorption units (being able to maintain a cold fridge in hot conditions) doesn't come for free. You have to have an energy source for them. If you really pushed a Danfoss BD35 fridge to it's limits and it ran continuously, you'd need about 150 AH/d for it. That's what the African village chief did with his warm beer beer in my vaccine fridge....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 6:54am
Originally posted by offgrid

That works out to 30 amphours per day for a 20C delta T (25 ambient vs 5 in the fridge). Sounds about right.

For a hot conditions 40C delta T (40C vs 0 in the fridge/freezer) that would double to 60 amphours, assuming the COP of the compressor stays the same. But it doesn't. It drops to about 1.5 from 2.0. So now we're at about 80 amphours per day (2/1.5*60). And we're still not opening the fridge door or taki g things in and out.

Reality is almost never what the specs say. It's a lot like the fully loaded trailer weight vs the manufacturer's empty weight specs.

Well, as I state, mine is 2.3 cubic foot and the numbers represent very close to what I see for power consumption. Since I can isolate the frig, I can get accurate readings. I typically set mine at 34°F

I'm about to head out so I re-set the meter and did a chill down just to see what a cool down will use. Typically I cool down on AC then switch over. I'll let you know.

I doubt there's a break in period, yet I do figure better number are coming as Stephen loads his. Believe you'll be very happy with that frig!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:10am
I'm already happy with it. Given that we made the trip with the cooler and experienced similar power draw, I think we will do okay with the CRX-1100. During ARRL Field Day I observed the meter but did not record use then. That was before I added extra insulation, which I expect will really help with the power use. I have an AC-DC clamp-on meter. However, it would not be suitable for observing long term because it would be detecting spot use, not tracking or recording use.

What do you use to isolate the refrigerator's power so you can track just that power use?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:27am
Not sure what was wrong with your previous measurement but you can use the clamp on ammeter.

Let the fridge stabilize, then measure the current. Then use the ammeter to get duty cycle with a stop watch. On time/(on+off time) = duty cycle.

Multiply the duty cycle by the current and then by 24. That is the daily amp hours.

You'll need to capture a couple of cycles to be sure that the duty cycle isn't changing and the fridge has stabilized.

Works fine, done it many times.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:47am
Okay. I understand that method, but it isn't going to happen. I'm not going to sit out there with a stopwatch. I was looking for a solution that could record without me being there baby-sitting it.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 11:51am
Boy are you guys really getting down into the weeds with this Danfoss refrigerator mod. Tongue
I've been trying to follow all the responses and make sense of everything but I think what most people would want to know is what was shown by StephenH on how to install the refrigerator. That and how many watts of solar panels and battery storage you would need to use when boondocking? Simple, no?

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 1:46pm
And I feel that if we are on a trip like we anticipate trying next year (Alaska), we will be driving a lot and stops will be overnight with possible exceptions for stays. In any case, while driving, the DC to DC charger will handle charging the battery and if we stop for a day or two, either the solar or generator will handle the charging. I don't anticipate running out of battery power because of the refrigerator. I went with the LiFePO4 for multiple reasons, not anticipating a refrigerator change. I think I will be okay.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 6:04am
I think the thing that folks are missing is that unlike an absorption fridge which always uses pretty much the same amount of energy a compressor fridge is more like owning a car.

Two people own the same car, but one uses 100 gallons of fuel a month and the other uses 10. Why? The one using 100 gallons drives like a demon, has a long commute, and tows a trailer. The one using 10 gallons is retired, drives like a little old lady, and only uses the car to go to the store a couple times a month. No one would ever say that any two ppl will burn the same amount of fuel just because they own the same car.

Ditto for the compressor fridge. There are way too many variables (ambient temp, internal temp setting, what you're putting in and taking out, how often and how long you leave the door open, etc) to say "if you get xx fridge you can power it with yy solar array and zz batteries.

Sorry that it's not that simple but that is the way with most things in life. It's really the same reason some folks here are perfectly happy with their absorption fridges while other ppl think they're junk.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 9:23am
+1

In any case, I have been looking at 200AH and 300AH LiFePO4 batteries on Amazon. Some of the 200AH batteries are about the same price as I paid for the 100AH ExpertPower battery. Of course, they are unknown brands but some of them have pretty good reviews. I might bypass 200AH and go directly for a 300AH battery if I think I can fit it in.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 6:55am
Sounds like a good plan. If you look at the high end "expedition" rigs they all seem to be going fully electric now, with large Li battery packs, solar arrays, and high capacity alternators.

The other thing you could consider is to keep your existing battery and add another one with a marine style rotary switch (bat 1, batt 2, both and off) so you have full control over your electrical storage system
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 58>