R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowinng with a full tank?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towinng with a full tank?
    Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 10:06am
We tow using a Fastway EZ-2 WDH and don't notice one way or the other any difference between the water tank being full or empty on our 172.  The tank is right behind the axle.

What we do notice is if the tank is full, or the other tanks for that matter, it slows us down a bit on the steep Sierra Nevada grades.e  Then, again, I set the cruise control for 55 most of the time when we're not climbing, and let every else pass me.  Why hurry?  We're out there to be relaxed.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 11:24am
I just brought my new 176 home to NM from AR where I bought it and I had them almost fill the fresh tank before I left, not knowing where I would be each night.  I have a RAM 1500 Quad cab 4X2 with 5.7 hemi and I did not lack for power, but I did notice a little tail wag at times, so I kept tightening the sway bar to help it.  I do not have a WD hitch and don't need one with this truck as it doesn't even notice the tongue weight, but I didn't realize until I got home that the FW tank was behind the axel.  Such a bad design.  They should never have done that on any of their Pods, and why they did it on some and not on others is beyond me.  They use three 30 gallon tanks, all the same physical size between the frame rails and could have arranged them any way they wanted to, so why choose to put the 300 lbs behind the axel?  I was thinking about taking off the spare tire and mounting a small generator to the trailer hitch, but now I'm rethinking that and thinking about getting rid of the spare tire too.  Besides, all your outside storage is also behind the axel so they are really building problem on top of problem with this setup.

I've had 4 Casitas and really loved them, but the R-pod has a lot more standard features for less money, but I'm starting to see some really bad designing in these.  For instance, I have the forward bunk beds.  There's no windows in the bed area at all (so you can crack a window and turn on the ceiling fan and bring in some cooler air to help you sleep).  No ventilation in the sleeping area at all unless you install a fan yourself or are hooked up to electricity so you can run the A/C all night.  And the three windows my 176 does have are all sliding windows, instead of crank-out windows, so you can't leave them open when it's raining!  REALLY?  Who doesn't want some ventilation when it's hot and rainy?  Bad Bad design.

2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:27pm
Spydie, we had forward bunks in our 172 with no windows.  We bought the trailer used and didn't really want or need the upper bunk so we took it out, leaving the part by the head as a shelf.  Now we have room for a window on one side, but I'm still thinking of using marine portholes like the one I put in my door.  If you want opening windows in the bunk area, these might be a solution.  They don't come with screens, but you can buy porthole screens at a marine supply or on Amazon.  

You could put in portholes on each side though 2 vertically mounted portholes (one for each bunk) may look a little strange.  But when it comes to comfort, aesthetics are overruled by function.  The porthole we put in the door lets in a surprising amount of air and the screen door keeps the bugs out when both are closed.  

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Spydie, we had forward bunks in our 172 with no windows.  We bought the trailer used and didn't really want or need the upper bunk so we took it out, leaving the part by the head as a shelf.  Now we have room for a window on one side, but I'm still thinking of using marine portholes like the one I put in my door.  If you want opening windows in the bunk area, these might be a solution.  They don't come with screens, but you can buy porthole screens at a marine supply or on Amazon.  

You could put in portholes on each side though 2 vertically mounted portholes (one for each bunk) may look a little strange.  But when it comes to comfort, aesthetics are overruled by function.  The porthole we put in the door lets in a surprising amount of air and the screen door keeps the bugs out when both are closed.  

I'd sure like to see a picture of your portals.  Where do you get them?  Do you have a price or a supplier?  Thanks
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 1:21pm
Here is the Amazon http where I got the porthole I put in my door.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJK3VKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If you put in portholes, you need to make sure the flange is deep enough to accommodate the wall thickness.  For the door, the flange was perfect and it has been problem free.  My recollection is that the flange is about 2" but that's something you need to check to be sure as the walls are also 2"" thick so your margin of error is not much.  I was able to confirm the door thickness before cutting by removing part of the lock set.  

If you would like to see the door mounted porthole I put in, p.m. me and we can figure out how I can send you a picture.  I still haven't set up a public website picture account which you need to post pictures here.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Here is the Amazon http where I got the porthole I put in my door.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJK3VKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If you put in portholes, you need to make sure the flange is deep enough to accommodate the wall thickness.  For the door, the flange was perfect and it has been problem free.  My recollection is that the flange is about 2" but that's something you need to check to be sure as the walls are also 2"" thick so your margin of error is not much.  I was able to confirm the door thickness before cutting by removing part of the lock set.  

If you would like to see the door mounted porthole I put in, p.m. me and we can figure out how I can send you a picture.  I still haven't set up a public website picture account which you need to post pictures here.

Thanks for the link.  After looking at it I don't think that's what I want.  I want a crank out window so I can leave it open in the rain (like my Casita and my Pleasure-way Sprinter van RV had).  I'll have to start searching for actual RV windows.  In fact, I'd really like to replace the 3 sliding windows I have with crank-outs also if I can find the exact same size.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 7:19pm
spydie, we leave the porthole open all the time, even when stored at home. It stays where you put it.  But id does open up and to the inside.
Best of luck finding what you want.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 7:52pm
I would think it would rain in just like our sliding side windows do when it rains.  The advantage of the sliding windows is they allow more air flow when you have a nice breeze than the crank-up ones do, but the bad part is, you can't go away and leave them open because if it rains, it pours inside.  For now I'm going to put a 12v plug in the bunk areas so we can run a 12v fan on us when we don't have A/C, but that's not nice cooler outside air like a window would provide.  Haven't located a crank-out like I'm looking for yet, and it may never happen.  Forest River was very Remiss in not putting windows in the bed area.  I think they used to because I saw some older Pods with bunk beds and a window at the head of the bed, but I suppose it was a huge cost savings to not have to put two-four more windows in it.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
Kos View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 9:34pm
How do the last postings deal with towing?  
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:34am
Sorry, Kos, just trying to respond to a new person's questions.  

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>