R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease help Newbie with Fuse Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help Newbie with Fuse Panel
    Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 12:39pm
Hi all.  I am the first time owner of ANY KIND OF CAMPER, and it happens to be an adorable 2010 R POD 173.  I did not get any type of manual with it, and only a "hurried" run through of explanations on use.  Most of my learning, sadly then, has come from the internet and hard knocks.

My power system hasn't been acting right since my last trip camping, on March 5-7.  I left the camp ground with my Pod showing fully charged while plugged in, of course. But when I got home, my battery level showed just 3 dots. Within a few days my CO2 detector started going off, and this Grandma assumed that it probably just used 2AA batteries.

I went out and checked fuses first.  I found that the 7.5 Furnace Fuse and the 15v Fuse above it were Switched!  Neither was blown.  I also checked the two 40v fuses.

HERE IS THE BIG PROBLEM from what I can see now.  
The converter BREAKER  is not a strong click, like the others.  I think it is ruined.  What is the fix for that???
XDigger
2010 RPod 173
2000 Chevy 1500 V8
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:24pm
Hey Xdigger15,

Thanks for posting this. Reading your message it sounds like the charger/converter was working when you left the campground?

So you need to check a few things (this assumes you have an AC/DC volt meter of some kind):

1. When you plug in at home, as long as you're just charging the battery, you can use any ordinary 15/20 amp outlet with the appropriate plug adapter. Just make sure the outlet is "alive" (should be in the neighborhood of 110 to 120 VAC (a little over or under that range is probably OK). For example, I just checked one of our outlets, and it's showing 122 VAC, which I consider OK.
2. If the outlet is alive, then you should verify that the 115VAC is getting to the converter. There are test points that you can access on the converter access panel.
3. If the converter is getting 115VAC, then you should check for 12VDC on the output of the converter. Actually, if the converter is functioning, it should be in the 13-14 volt range.
4. If the converter is producing the aforementioned 13 (or so) volts, verify that it is getting to the battery(ies).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:39pm
For the sake of clarity, you're saying that the D/C power was working, but eventually the battery died? I assume the a/c power wasn't working at that time as well? See the pod has two different power systems. One is the battery, and only d/c powered items will work on battery. the a/c side is anything you need to plug into an outlet to use. It sounds like your a/c power stopped working and no longer charged the battery. If you can charge the battery and the d/c stuff works, you'll atleast be one step closer. Hopefully you have an EMS system, and it wasnt killed by voltage spikes. If you don't have one, it sounds bad. Even WITH EMS the converter can die, but it's more likely if you dont have one.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 2:40pm
Xdigger15,

As discussed, do you have basic electrical knowledge and a multimeter? If not you need to get some help. Verify you have a good AC source to trailer, verify your battery is less than 12volts, make sure your Converter CB is on and the 40A fuses are good. Is the converter fan running? If you don't have those things, chances are the converter is bad and needs to be replaced. It's not charging the battery. They go bad. They are not difficult to replace. At this point you need to determine what is not happening. We can discuss options after we figure out why the battery is not charging.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
XDigger15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 3:17pm
HAHA, guys. Thank you so much, for the wonderful replies, and I'm sorry I was away for a little bit.  Company.
As I mentioned before, I am a Grandma, whose mind is a little clouded these days.  So, NO, I wouldn't say that I have a lot of electrical know how.  (I've worked in woodworking, and a little bit of small engine repair over the years, but electricity is something that I have always stayed clear of.) 

I did hook the battery up to a trickle charger, though, and it appeared to go from 0 dots on the panel, to 3 dots on the panel.

Also, when I pulled out the 15A fuse, that was in the 7.5A Furnace spot, the red light next to it came on...  Does that clarify anything?

Right now, nothing in the camper works... Plugged up to house or on Battery.  Nothing.

What is EMS?

XDigger
2010 RPod 173
2000 Chevy 1500 V8
XDigger15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by mcarter

Xdigger15,

As discussed, do you have basic electrical knowledge and a multimeter? If not you need to get some help. Verify you have a good AC source to trailer, verify your battery is less than 12volts, make sure your Converter CB is on and the 40A fuses are good. Is the converter fan running? If you don't have those things, chances are the converter is bad and needs to be replaced. It's not charging the battery. They go bad. They are not difficult to replace. At this point you need to determine what is not happening. We can discuss options after we figure out why the battery is not charging.

Thank you. I do not have a multimeter.
I guess I will try to get more help, but this really frustrates me.  I just bought the camper from a dealer in February.  CryCryCry
XDigger
2010 RPod 173
2000 Chevy 1500 V8
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 3:37pm
Pulling the fuse lit the fault light. We can discuss an EMS after we fixed your current problem. You need to get a Multimeter and also probably ask a friend for some assistance until you familiarize yourself with basic electrical issues. The battery charger should be charging battery which means the converter is not. We just need to figure out why. Campers require you get handy or have a handy friend to assist. No biggee. We'll get thru this.
Mike Carter
2015 178
XDigger15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 3:53pm
Hi GlueGuy. Thanks for trying to help me.
1. How would I be sure I am "Just charging the Battery"?
2. How would I test on the panel, to be sure that the power is getting to        the Converter?
3.  How would I check the input and output of the Converter; and whether the power is getting back to the battery?

I guess I really just need to get help. ConfusedOuch
XDigger
2010 RPod 173
2000 Chevy 1500 V8
XDigger15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:15pm
I have a local Auto Zone that might be able to help me.   I also have a friend who will be my daughter's Father-in-Law at some point.  He is a Master Mechanic, and I can ask him, too.  I'll be back in touch after I have someone help me get the basics.  Thanks.
XDigger
2010 RPod 173
2000 Chevy 1500 V8
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:22pm
Let's do that, get the Master Mechanic involved and get back with us. Not sure Auto Zone will be much help. you just need someone with basic electrical experience to figure out the goes into and out of:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>