Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTankless propane hot water heaters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tankless propane hot water heaters
    Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 4:14am
I did a lot of research into tankless water heaters and came to the conclusion; not yet. I continue to research and think they are very expensive and not fool proof yet. Expense not only in initial purchase, but much 'fine tuning' and repair needed. Add to that the fact that an RV moves and bounces down the road, varying water pressure, etc. and I just think they need more engineering and reliability to make it worth the investment.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:50am
Seems to me with a limited water supply, a limited gray water tank, and venting requirements, they are not very practical for a small travel trailer unless you're only at full hookup sites.  I suppose you could mount it outside the trailer, but you're inviting a whole host of other problems in doing so.

I've been using one all week at my sister-in-law's and it works great.  I was looking at it the other day and thinking it would sure fit nicely in the trailer since it's about 8" deep, 14" wide, and 18" high but it's really set up for a wall mount hand has to have free space above it to let the hot combustion gases out.  In the limited space of a Pod that's complicated, you have to pass through a gallon or two before the water gets hot, and you have to have continuous flow to keep it hot.  But for taking a nice hot shower it works well.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:30am
I know we've discussed it six ways from Sunday, but can I get a show of hands when the stock WH has run out of hot water for lack of capacity?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:34pm
No Hollywood showers in the Pod.  Only mariner's showers.  Get a little wet, wash the essentials, quickly rinse.  Use about couple gallons of water.  Hair washing takes about half of that (short hair, long is way more complicated).  When I had my Newport 30 I uses one of those portable shower bags that held <5 gal.  It was plenty for two showers, with no mixing in cold.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I know we've discussed it six ways from Sunday, but can I get a show of hands when the stock WH has run out of hot water for lack of capacity?

When on FHU's, we have.. It takes a while, and I am not sure it can be done unless you just leave the water on the whole time. But we don't. Almost always have the WH on both elec and gas..

Heck, we don't usually do that at home. (leave the water running the whole time) We are on a septic tank, I try to keep our water use down a bit when we can.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:17pm
Never ran out, not even close.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I think you might be missing my point. It's more about saving space and weight, not for shower time longevity................
2016 R-Pod 176T
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:39pm
It's hardly worth the effort.  That extra 6 gallons of water in the grand scheme of things isn't going to make that much difference unless you're already loaded to the max.  Simpler to just put in 6 fewer gallons in your fresh water tank.  What's the weight of a tankless heater with all the ancillary piping and heat exchanger?  I suspect, but really don't know, that it is not significantly different from the Suburban heater you have.  

I asked my sister-in-law if she'd mind if I took hers off the wall to weigh it.  She looked at me like I was nuts and started laughing at me saying:  "En tus sueƱos."  So, I dropped the idea. 
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 6:17pm
Motor 7,

I'm on the side of not seeing a benefit to this. Not to dissuade you, but not an item I can see as a priority. Let us know how your idea turns out. Interested, just not excited.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 7:33pm
Changing to tankless on a small RV makes a lot more sense as a weight saving measure than as a way to use up more water taking showers. 

If you stick with Suburban their tankless unit weighs 36 lbs and the 6 gallon one weighs 32 lbs empty. 6 gal water weighs 50 lbs so you'd save 46 lbs with the changeover to tankless. 

If that's worth it or not is going to depend on how critical it is to save that weight on an individual rig. I could see doing it if I had to replace my water heater anyway. it's a personal decision, no right or wrong to it one way or the other. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>