This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Towing with 2019 Highlander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mbearden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with 2019 Highlander
    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 12:39pm
Does anyone tow with a 2019 Toyota Highlander....I am having trouble finding someone that is willing to install a brake controller and seven wire plug.   It has the 
 factory hitch and 4 wire plug.  The RV dealers seem scared of touching it.
Mike Bearden
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 12:44pm
Which model of Highlander, and is it front wheel drive, or all wheel drive, and what is the vehicle's rated towing capacity? I know there are several people on this list who tow with a Highlander, but I'm pretty sure they all are using the all wheel drive models.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 1:47pm
From this discussion on Etrailer there are apparently some issues with the Toyota electronic safety system with some brake controllers when connected into the Highlander electrical system. The Curt unit which goes between the Highlander trailer connector and the trailer apparently avoids this problem. Etrailer is a great source of information and solutions, you might want to call them to discuss further before proceeding.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-339368.html
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Mbearden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mbearden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 1:57pm
All Wheel Drive...it’s rated at 5000.  XLE  model come with HD alternator  and trans cooler.
Mike Bearden
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Mbearden

All Wheel Drive...it’s rated at 5000.  XLE  model come with HD alternator  and trans cooler.

Those are essentially the same specs as my 2012 Highlander. You can tow an rPod just fine with that vehicle. 

There is one thing I'd watch out for. I'm not sure what rPod you have or are considering but the heavier ones with fresh water tanks forward of the trailer axle can get to a pretty high tongue weight very quickly. If you are planning to camp without hookups, want to travel with a full fresh water tank, and are considering mods like dual batteries and/or propane cylinders you can  very easily exceed 500-550 lbs tongue weight. My 179 is at 550 lbs fully loaded, which is the limit for the 2012 Highlander. Be sure to actually weigh yours so you know what you have before starting to make any mods that add more weight to the tongue. 

You will almost certainly want a weight distribution hitch and sway control, but a wdh does not increase your max tongue weight capacity. You will also want to keep the load in the rear of your Highlander low and as far forward as possible, as load behind the tow vehicle rear axle reduces the tongue weight capacity. If you don't already have one, be sure to get a receiver for the Highlander that's rated for use with a weight distribution hitch.  

None of these loading considerations effect your current question with brake controller installation, that I think is a concern about potential interference with the Toyota electronic safety system. I'd check in with the nice folks at eTrailer on that. 

Welcome to the forum from the OBX. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wood River Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:37am
We just traded our 2010 Highlander Limited in on a Tahoe.  The Highlander towed our 2017 179 HRE fine for three years. 

We've towed it on several big trips from our home base in Idaho.  The first was down to Zions for spring break.  That trip was before the weight distribution hitch.  Then the next spring break we went down to Sedona.  In addition to these two, we've done lots of mini trips around our area.  

By the Sedona trip we had put a E2 600 weight distribution hitch on.   IMHO, the weight distribution hitch is a must on the Highlander.  I followed the wife and son back from a camping weekend in Salmon.  I watch them bounce the entire way from Challis to Stanley on a windy two lane road that followed the Salmon River.  It was about the most nervous/anxious I've ever been.  The next week I bought the E2.  It helped even out the Highlander and took most of the bounce out. 

The v6 had a tough time going into overdrive on the highway when we had some rolling hills.  Cruise control would always downshift.  Better to drive with your foot around 60.  Gas mileage is 10-12 mpg.  Never pass a gas station once you get to half a tank.  We found the the tank dropped from 1/2 to E faster than full to 1/2.  Once we had to unhook the pod and run 40 miles to gas up, come back and get the pod.  I had a nice nap in the trailer.  That was some "I told you so" quality time. 

It would handle passes ok as well.  We have Galena summit to get up into the Sawtooth/Stanley basin.  We would have no problem up and over.  You don't want to know the mpg...

When it was time to consider a new rig, we wanted to go with a v8 and higher tongue capacity which also provides higher tow capacity.  The Tahoe has 8,100 capacity with transmission tow mode and rear axle ratio better suited.  Also has the integrated break controller.  I've towed the pod once with the Tahoe.  Don't even know it was back there. 

All in all the Highlander will tow the pod fine.  Be mindful of tongue weight and how you load the pod.  We traveled with full water tanks when we had no choice  You could feel the difference.  I've been a Toyota buyer for my past three cars (early 90's).  Unfortunately in my opinion Toyota has a hole in their offering.  The Four Runner may tow a pod better with its stiffer suspension, but its still a v6.  And I think the mpgs would be worse.  You have to go up to the Sequoia or Tundra beast to get the v8.  Mpgs really drops and the are big.  Enjoy the highlander/pod and have fun.
Thanks    
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Wood River Pod

Better to drive with your foot around 60.  Gas mileage is 10-12 mpg.  Never pass a gas station once you get to half a tank.  We found the the tank dropped from 1/2 to E faster than full to 1/2.  Once we had to unhook the pod and run 40 miles to gas up, come back and get the pod.  I had a nice nap in the trailer.  That was some "I told you so" quality time.  

Wow, 10-12 mpg. I cruise in my 2012 Highlander at 60-65 towing and get 14-15 on flat ground, don't think I've ever gotten below 12 even in the mountains. And my 179 always has a full fresh water tank outbound. 

I was wondering what the difference was because I thought the drivetrains were identical on those model years. So I looked up the specs. Everything is the same except the diff ratio. On the 2010 its 3.478 for both 2 and 4wd. On the 2012 its still 3.478 for the 2wd but the 4wd is 2.928. Presumably the taller final drive ratio on the 2012 is providing better fuel economy? 

The 2019 has different drivetrain with an 8 speed automatic vs the 2010/2012 which have a 5 speed. So I would guess that would improve towing fuel economy, as well as highway fuel economy not towing. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wood River Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:07am
That is interesting.  I’d get 14 on a flat road with no wind...but it would be short lived.  Mine seemd to downshift at a blink of the eye.  Also, totally depends of how the pod and rig are loaded.  We’d travel with some water in tanks.  We’d also have the TV loaded up with a yeti cooler loaded and gear.  I never weighted my tongue.  I could have been runnIng heavy.  Sounds like the new model with 8 speed will be an improvement over both of ours.  

On the break controller, our dealer installed a Curt.  Worked great with no issues.
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:41am
My taller gearing should make it downshift sooner. So maybe it does downshift but then finds a more efficient sweet spot in the next lower gear?  To be honest I haven't paid much attention, but I will next time I tow. I carry a honda 2kw genny in the Highlander but usually not a cooler. 

In any case, the 8 speeds and the more powerful engine in Mbearden's 2019 should do better. Just watch that tongue weight and it should be fine. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 12:17pm
There is also a significant difference depending on what you call "mountains". East of the Mississippi, it is difficult to find a "mountain" over 4,000 feet. West of the Mississippi, we routinely see 6,000 and 7,000 foot passes, and there are a few that go over 8,000 and 9,000 feet. We live in the coastal "mountains" south of San Francisco, which are in the 3000-4000 foot range, and we refer to them as the hills. The real mountains are when you reach the Sierra.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>