This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Towing with 2019 Highlander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with 2019 Highlander
    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Wood River Pod

When it was time to consider a new rig, we wanted to go with a v8 and higher tongue capacity which also provides higher tow capacity.  The Tahoe has 8,100 capacity with transmission tow mode and rear axle ratio better suited.  Also has the integrated break controller.  I've towed the pod once with the Tahoe.  Don't even know it was back there. 
You don't necessarily need a "V8". I would put our 3.5L EcoBoost up against any normally aspirated V8 up to about 6 liters. It has the torque/pulling power of a diesel without the diesel hassles, as well as the performance characteristics of a V8. On the highway, not pulling the R-pod we get mileage in the 21 MPG range. Pulling the pod, we get 12-14 MPG. With the 36 gallon tank, our bladders give out before the tank runs dry.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 12:39pm
GlueGuy, I've lived on both coasts. Used to drive 17 from Santa Cruz to San Jose daily, and I've been over the Sierra many times.  I'll put a trip over the Appalachians up against a trip over the Sierras any day. The coast range is one ridge of around 3000 ft, in parts of the Appalachians there are about 10 of those to go over, so probably more than 20,000 feet of total climb. Takes many many hours.  The Appalachians are in fact "mountains".

In any case, the only way to compare towing fuel efficiency is under flat ground/no wind conditions. There are way too many variables otherwise. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wood River Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 4:07pm
With the Tahoe the v8 downgrades to a v4 on the highway.  On our way back from picking up the car  in Boise, we were hitting 25+ consistenly and hit 30 a few times.  Won't expect that with the pod on.  The one time I pulled the pod I saw lots of 15's.  We are heading to Lake Powell and Monument Valley for spring break this year.  I'll have better data after that trip.
Thanks
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:36pm
I bet you all don't get good mileage crossing Tioga pass @ 9,943' or Sonora Pass @ 9,624'.  Now them's real mountains.  Tongue
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 5:06am
Never driven over Sonora but I've been on CA120 over Tioga Pass many times. Piece of cake.  Starting from Lee Vining its just one 3000 ft climb of about 5 miles.  Pretty much all downhill from there. You'll get crappy fuel economy for that 5 miles but after that it will be pretty normal. Compare that to say US 250 from Elkins WV to Staunton VA. 8-10 2000 ft grades to climb in 100 miles. 

Fuel consumption in the mountains is all about the total vertical climb, not the altitude of the highest point of the route. Figure on about 1 gallon for every 3000 ft elevation change for a TV + Rpod, plus what you'd normally use on level ground. Unfortunately you rarely get any of that energy back going downhill with a conventional drivetrain, because engine or wheel braking will waste the stored energy. 

That's why hybrids and EV's do so well in city driving, the regen braking recovers a lot of the stored energy in the battery.  What we really need is a hybrid tow vehicle with a modest on board battery pack plus a larger plug in battery pack in the trailer. Now that would greatly improve rig fuel consumption in mountain driving plus provide lots of energy storage for boondocking. No generator needed, and if you have electricity at the campsite you could do your day trips and short moves on 100% electric. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 7:49am
Been over both passes in an old VW in the old days.  It was a long slow climb, but yes, you already start out pretty high on the eastern Sierra.  CA 104, Ebbetts Pass, is one of the steeper climbs, though the pass is not as high.  I haven't crossed the pass yet with our Pod, but some day I probably will.  The biggest problems is returning.  Brakes are really tested.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 3:42pm
The only thing worse than the hill climbing power of old VW's was their crappy brakes. The solution for old VW's or for going down a long grade towing an rPod is to assume you have no wheel brakes and only use engine braking.  Even good brakes aren't designed to dissipate all the energy from a 3000 ft descent, they're only designed to handle one or two stops from 60-70 mph. The heat generated from the descent is about 30x what you get in a stop from 60 mph. Your brakes would theoretically be white hot by the time you got to the bottom, but in the real world they would fade way before then.  Dead
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 4:00pm
We had great success towing with a 2012 Highlander SE. We had no problems on steep grades up to about 9%; above that, we lost about 5 mph. It was front wheel drive, so it had problems on soft ground, but paved roads were fine. It was totaled in a hit-and-run accident a couple of months ago, right after we bought its successor (a 2019 Dodge Durango GT Plus AWD). We had planned to keep the Highlander as a second vehicle that could be used for towing in a pinch, but the accident foiled those plans.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 4:38pm
Wow, sorry you lost your Highlander, hopefully no one was injured in the accident.   

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 5:59pm
If you want steep, may I suggest Old Priest Grade on Route 120 into Yosemite. I think it's rated as an 18% grade, with a couple of the more steep parts at 20% grade. Going up is not horrible if you have lots of horsepower and a first-rate cooling system. Going down is not for the faint of heart. We see smoking brakes almost every time we go by it at the bottom (on New Priest Grade). More than a few times we have watched fools sailing through the stop at the bottom because their brakes were shot. It is officially referred to as a "killer road".

Some decades ago, they built New Priest Grade. It's about 4X the distance, but the decent is much more manageable.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>