R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed178 axle support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 178 axle support
    Posted: 05 May 2019 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Toyanvil

Mine is at 5/16, the frame shop arched it all the way across instead of just the middle to help keep it cambered, that's why it looks like more.

Great! It sure looks like more in the photo, shows how deceiving those can be. That's encouraging because your negative camber was really bad and its fixed by just recambering the tube, no other damage. So hopefully our axle end reinforcing fixes should solve the problem.... 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 6:00am
Originally posted by StephenH

I expect that was a whole lot less expensive than replacing the axle. I should have done that instead of taking it where I bought it. As it is, that place no longer is a dealer for R-Pods. It is now an even longer drive to get to one from here.

When that dealer told you you couldn't put a different or modified axle under there what he meant was that HE as an authorized dealer couldn't do that. YOU as the owner can do anything you want as long as you're not wanting to make a future warranty claim. The way you did it does give you a fresh warranty on your new axle, if that's any consolation to you. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:49am
Originally posted by Toyanvil

I talked to an engineer at Lippert before I bought my RPOD. He was the one who confirmed the overhang problem. He told me they build what FR ask for right or wrong and when FR orders 1000 axles they build them to the spec FR gives no question's asked. After I bought my RPOD I called Dexter to see about having an axle build to repair my RPOD and was told the problem is the overhang and the Dexter axle would have the same problem if the frame was not widened. This is why I built my supports, I thought I would give them a try before changing to leaf spring/air bag axle.

That response from the guy at Lippert is exactly why most companies keep their engineers in the back room and feed them peanuts. LOL

Lippert is the manufacturer who made that axle with that support spacing and its Lippert's label on the axle rating it at 3500 lbs. Not FR's. So Lippert is in the end responsible for fitness for use, they can't claim FR "forced" them to do it. 

I'm speculating but most likely what really happened is that the FR sales account executive at Lippert won the internal argument to accept that order at that price point and that required Lippert's engineering dept to reduce their normal axle load safety factor.  That safety factor is not regulatory as far as I can tell so its whatever they think it needs to be. its not a black and white thing. That kind of thing is very common in manufacturing companies especially ones that service a few large OEM's.  Its the old sales vs. engineering battle and sales usually wins. Duh, the engineers aren't the ones bringing in the cash. Tongue

The safety factor on that axle isn't way off the mark either, looked like around 2.5 to 3x when I checked it, meaning you'd have to have a 2.5 to 3g bump load or around 4000 lbs per wheel to get a failure. That does happen but not commonly.  So while its no consolation to those that have had an axle failure, its not clearly that bad either. The actual failure rate isn't that high or there would be hundreds or thousands of folks reporting axle failures. 

And, axle problems are not by any means limited to rPods. If you do a web search you'll see these kinds of issues and concerns cropping up with many different makes and models of trailers. Weak axles seem to be endemic in the travel trailer industry. 

An interesting project might be to get something like this and stick it to an axle to monitor actual bump loading accelerations. You can get an accelerometer app for smartphones but I'm not going to strap my iphone to my axle.LOL

www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Accelerometer-Triple-Axis-Acceleration-Transducer/dp/B01MRPKDV9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=CjwKCAjwk7rmBRAaEiwAhDGhxHekWdTW6ZDHHkE74oFgWlLnJmUxkNfSmeP6D0hHexgd5C5QhWtC9RoCXaoQAvD_BwE&hvadid=153659459887&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009855&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=1951565213553423548&hvtargid=kwd-15395111&hydadcr=18031_9433042&keywords=accelerometer+sensor&qid=1557052264&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 8:07pm
I expect that was a whole lot less expensive than replacing the axle. I should have done that instead of taking it where I bought it. As it is, that place no longer is a dealer for R-Pods. It is now an even longer drive to get to one from here.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:34pm
Mine is at 5/16, the frame shop arched it all the way across instead of just the middle to help keep it cambered, that's why it looks like more.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:30pm
    Do you think Forest River when they built the R-Pod had engineers approve the frame and axles of the R-Pods? Confused
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:28pm
I talked to an engineer at Lippert before I bought my RPOD. He was the one who confirmed the overhang problem. He told me they build what FR ask for right or wrong and when FR orders 1000 axles they build them to the spec FR gives no question's asked. After I bought my RPOD I called Dexter to see about having an axle build to repair my RPOD and was told the problem is the overhang and the Dexter axle would have the same problem if the frame was not widened. This is why I built my supports, I thought I would give them a try before changing to leaf spring/air bag axle.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 5:43pm
I thought engineers used duct tape for their glasses when the super glue doesn't hold.  Hmmmm?Confused

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Awchief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 2:43pm
Check out the other active thread on axles for a couple of conversations I had with the sales techs at Lippert last fall. Most companies won't let consumers speak directly to their engineering staff, they keep them in the back room and feed them peanuts.”

Thank you, that answers my question. 
Michael
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I slightly object to the implication of the term "real" engineer. I am a real live engineer, worked as one  for 40 years. There are other engineers on this forum as well. We're not all that unusual you know, you could pass us on the street and not recognize us for what we are unless we forgot to remove our pocket protectors. LOL 
... or the surgical tape on the bridge of our glasses. Geek
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>