R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire rubbing fender . Looking for advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire rubbing fender . Looking for advice
    Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 12:39pm
Ours has the keder rail on the curb side, but there is a piece of trim under the slide out that is about the same width as the keder rail. The fender is mounted just a "skosh" above that trim piece.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 11:34am
My 2015 Non-HRE 179 has the keder rail but it is not continuous, allowing the fenders to be the same height on both sides. So it looks like there are at least three different versions? 

I was under the impression that Tent2pod's 1 inch side to side difference was to the trailer frame not to the fender but can you confirm? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 11:13am
Also depends on whether there is a keder rail or not. Mine does not so the fender is mounted the same on both sides.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 9:25am
Maybe it's the difference between HRE and non-HRE? 
bp
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 9:22am
On my 179, the slide side has the fender mounted flush with the bottom of the trailer.  The other side has the fender mounted flush with the top edge of the kedder rail.  About an inch difference.  
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by furpod

As a note.. Because of having to clear the movement of the slide, the slide side fender is mounted lower than the curb side...
Our RP-179 HRE has both fenders mounted at the same height. With the slide extended there is a minor difference in clearance; maybe about 1/2". That said, there is ~~ 2-1/2" clearance on the slide side and almost 3" on the non-slide side.
bp
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:05am
As a note.. Because of having to clear the movement of the slide, the slide side fender is mounted lower than the curb side...
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 5:13am
Originally posted by lostagain

I'm glad my trailer tends to be on the lighter end of the rPod spectrum so I don't have as much risk of axle problems as those who have the heavier versions.  I don't plan on ever buying another trailer, but if I did, I would certainly consider looking for leaf spring axle construction.

Sorry about the mmmissing "m"....

For a mechanical designer these considerations are important but assuming the designer has done his homework they are pretty much hypothetical for the trailer owner.  Has anyone heard of someone who has bent the frame on their rPod in the way suggested by the stress model in the article?  If not, FR/Lippert have spread the moment load from the torsion axle to the frame out enough that it hasn't been a problem. 

Pretty much everything in engineering involves tradeoffs. Having the low ride height probably won out in their evaluation of the options, and in theory anyway the designers have adressed the drawbacks so they don't become our problems as owners. 

Where we unquestionably do have problems is the axles themselves. Here the designers have pushed the limits a bit too far IMHO. We have the known problem with bent axles which is worsened by the inboard mounting points to the frame. That can be adressed fairly easily by axle reinforcement which a couple of us have done now in different ways. 

Now we have tent2pod's issue which apparently is not a bent axle. So far we're just speculating about what it actually is, so I'm looking forward to a report once tent2pod gets to the bottom of it...

Re axle replacement,  I have one other reason why i would go with a heavier axle if faced with replacement. Better braking. I think the braking action on the 3500 lb axle brake assemblies is marginal for my rig. Even at full voltage output from my brake controller I'm not able to get my trailer wheels to lock up when following the setup procedure specified for my Prodigy P2, and that is with brand new propery burnished brakes. For sure you back off from that point so you don't actually get lockup, but ideally you want to be just short of that point in an emergency stop. 

The eTrailer tech I spoke to said this was pretty common with travel trailers. Anyone else have the same issue? 

The 5200 lb axles have 12x2 inch brakes vs the 3500 lb's 10x2.25. If I did my math right that should result in about 12% more stopping power. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 7:03pm
I'm glad my trailer tends to be on the lighter end of the rPod spectrum so I don't have as much risk of axle problems as those who have the heavier versions.  I don't plan on ever buying another trailer, but if I did, I would certainly consider looking for leaf spring axle construction.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Corrected link offgrid meant to send: https://mechanicalelements.com/trailer-axle-springs-torsion-axle/
Fascinating! I don't think a retrofit is possible for the 179 but it would not surprise me to see this appear sometime on a future line of travel trailers.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>