R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrake Controller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Controller
    Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:36am
P2s and P3s both have accelerometers. There are vertical mount specs as mentioned and it is recommended that it be horizontally level. I have owned both and they are relatively inexpensive. I still have one vehicle with a P3 installed. Differences between the two not very clear, however the P3 info says it works with electric and hydraulic brakes. Peace of mind I recommend you replace the "sticky" one.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:38am
Info from etrailer. The P2 # 90885 will be easier to learn on and use than the P3, # 90195 initially. The P3 has several features the P2 doesn't including the ability to change the LED screen color, change the language, and the biggest difference is the diagnostics. Instead of flashing a code you would have to look at the P3 has clear messages telling you what the problem is.
Mike Carter
2015 178
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 9:40am
   I called manufacturer and was told the P-2 does not have a pendulum it has as been said by our very smart members that it has a accelerometer. Was told not to replace it and that if it happens again to unplug to let the electronics in the controller reset. It has never happened before in the past and if it only happens once every 10 years I am happy. I will just need to be careful to pay attention to the lights on display. If it happens again within a few months I will buy a new one.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 1:30pm
+1 to mcarter, despite what Tekonsha says defending their unit I would replace the P2 with a new one. Having to constantly worry and watch that your existing one doesn't smoke your brakes again isn't worth the replacement cost. Worse yet, it might distract you at a critical moment and end up causing an accident. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 1:47pm
+1 to Offgrid, I wouldn't have a suspect controller.
Mike Carter
2015 178

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 2:55pm
  I agree with you and am considering it should be replaced but I am thinking what the factory representative had asked me which was several questions. He had asked me if our truck has been used to jump start another vehicle or have I done any changes to the trucks electrical system my answer was no. But after I talked with him I remembered the truck was in for three recalls and remember one and maybe more they had to reprogram the truck. I leave the controller in the truck all the time connected to the electrical system. Maybe that had something to do with it maybe disconnecting the controller which has not been done in possibly three years and that disconnecting the controller yesterday allowed the controller to be reset. I thought the tech at tropic trailer was correct but I found out he was wrong and now I am thinking the tech from the manufacture is correct that I should continue to use the controller. I am trying to process all the information and be patient to hopefully make the right decision. I have learned that the electronics in the controller are sensitive and can be affected by changes in the trucks electrical system. But I am leaning more now to go ahead and replace but there may be a chance it will be OK maybe agreeing with the factory tech. I will give it more thought I put safety as a priority I think in time I will make the right decision. I thank everyone for their help that's why I have stayed with this forum there has been so much helpful information from everyone. Perhaps what has happened to our controller will be helpful to someone else to understand the electronics of a controller.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 3:36pm
According to etrailer the P2 goes into a power saving mode a few minutes after you quit driving, meaning it is never truly off unless you disconnect it, so it could well be that the tech did just that yesterday which reset it. 

But I doubt that it got locked on from your recall visit if that was awhile ago. You would have noticed hot brakes on an earlier trip. Either way, that leaves unanswered why it got locked on now.  That is not an adjustment issue, there is no normal operating mode where that should ever happen, the purpose of the accelerometer is to make the braking action proportional to your rate of deceleration while using the TV  brakes. No deceleration or braking should mean no voltage out of the controller to the trailer. 

So, the P2 was hung up. Even though it wasn't due to a stuck mechanical pendulum, could be that the potentiometer that the manual slide lever is attached to got stuck. Or frozen software for example could do pretty much the same thing. And we've all had that experience haven't we? LOL 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 4:43pm
   I ordered a new P-2 but will need to rely on the old one until I get back home. I think I made the right decision. Thank you
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 4:58pm
I think you did too.
Mike Carter