R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed182G New A/C Install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 182G New A/C Install
    Posted: 19 May 2020 at 5:28am
Sounds like you are on a good track. If you were closer to southwest VA I'd consider swapping with you. I want to go out on a limb and replace my a/c with a roof vent and try a 9000 btu mini split air conditioner with the condenser mounted on the tongue and the evaporator on the wall above the head of the bed in my 179. Much quieter and much much more efficient but not knowing how it would all go together I can't recommend you try it. 

Please post what you decide to do and how the install went in the mods section for the next guy. One thing to consider is how you are going to safely get the a/c unit up there, they are heavy, about 100 lbs.  Not a carry up the ladder kinda thing, more of a shade tree block and tackle thing...

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TimK182G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:44pm
Thank you for the detailed response.  We do have the center roof vent in the main living area.  I'll double check on all of the wiring.  We do have a circuit already in there installed for the A/C on the main panel that is currently unused in the off position.  Good point on the 9K vs. 13.5K BTU units.  I'll take a look at the price differences on each of the units to see what makes sense but 9K is more than enoungh for us, we're mostly in the northeast for our camping.  I am definitely going with the low profile, anything with less drag when moving is a win for mpg's even if it very small.
2018 R-Pod 182G
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:26am
I would suggest getting a 9000 btu unit rather than the 13.5K. Unless you're going to camp in the southwest desert in the summer 9000 is going to be fine and maybe a little quieter (ie, sounds like a prop plane taking off not a bizjet). I'm assuming you have a roof vent in the center of the trailer (not the one in the bathroom) already. Those are a standard size so the a/c should be a direct replacement fit. 

Take a look in your breaker panel. You will need a breaker for the a/c, If that's not already there its an easy install. You will also need a cable to the roof, a 120 Vac cable, not the 12V cable for a vent fan. Not sure if that is prewired already or not, but if not, the cable will be a bit of an issue to install, you'll probably have to run surface mount wiring. So you might want to pull off the vent and see. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TimK182G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:41am
Question on the Dometic 13500 btu a/c. We bought an R-Pod without an A/C installed and want to purchase a new one. I am planning on installing it myself in the roof vent, it looks pretty straight forward and I have basic electrical knowledge. I have a couple questions. Is the low profile unit worth the additional cost? Do I have to purchase anything besides the unit itself or is it a complete package? Our old trailer had the a/c installed so this is a first for me. I noticed you can add on things when you go to checkout online. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
2018 R-Pod 182G
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234