R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2021 RPOD 190 water/electric ? - Event Date: 10 Jun 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 2021 RPOD 190 water/electric ?
    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Andyrpod190

...Since I have factory solar with 2 - 12 V deep cycle batteries in Parallel which I will request, I am wondering what position the switches in the camper need to be since I will be leaving this plugged into my 30amp outside power outlet? Will both the solar and house/wired power be charging the batteries or is there some switch that I need to turn off?...

When our 195 with factory solar is being staged in the driveway and hooked up to house power I don't touch a thing...don't even know if the solar charging can be turned off.  Never an issue...battery usually shows "Full" in short order if it wasn't already from sitting in storage in the sunny Denver area and charging away.  IMO that's one of the nicest things about having the solar...never have to worry about the battery discharging from parasitic draws or having to disconnect it.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Andyrpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:58am
Great... thanks that helps a lot! 

Hopefully the new RPOD 190 comes with an owners manual!

All of you are my owners manual now....

Thanks

Andy
AC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Andyrpod190

Hopefully the new RPOD 190 comes with an owners manual!

Don't hold your breath. Besides, where would be the fun in that? LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 4:34pm
I just got pics I asked of the tires/wheels on the new 190 as I thought I would be replacing them.

Turns out they are Castle Rock ST225/75/R15 Load Rating 'D'. They have a speed rating of 'L' 75 mph.

They also have a Max Load Single of 2540 lbs  / dual of 2200 lbs.

The dry weight on the new 190 is 3030 lbs.

These are made in China but should I swap these out with other 'D' rated tires or do you think these will be sufficient and safe?

Listed as an 8 ply tire with 2 plies of Nylon in side wall.

Also 5 bolt pattern.

Thoughts?
AC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 6:32pm
You should ignore the dry weight of the trailer. In actual use it will be close to the gross trailer weight which is 3807. That number is the sum of the minimum tongue weight (307) and the max axle weight which is 3500. So each wheel needs to handle 3500/2= 1750 lbs to match the axle. 

I'm pleasantly surprised that FR is putting 15 load range D tires on the trailer. They didn't do that in the past. The tires that came with mine were 14 inch LRC's rated at 1750, same as the axle. 2540 lbs gives you a nice 45% safety factor over the axle rating. That is the rating of the tires and wheels  I upgraded to. I wouldn't change them, they should be fine. 

If I were to upgrade something next it would be to add axle reinforcement to try to get the axle capacity up closer to what your tire rating is. There have been quite a few instances of bent axles reported on rpods due to the upward force on the axle ends because of the inboard location of the axle to frame attachments.  There are a couple different options to do that and posts on it here. The simplest way is to use square u bolts to attach a 2x2x3/16 steel angle to the bottom of the axle. The steel angle needs to be bent slightly upwards in the center. I did this mod to my 179, only cost about $100. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:32pm
Something that should be given close attention to with those load range D tires is the inflation and it should indicate on the side wall of the tire an inflation of 65 psi.  Proper inflation is important to not develop too much heat build up in the tire causing premature tread separation, which is caused by under inflation.  Just my 2 cents. 
Jay

179/2019
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:37pm
Great suggestions. It does say 65 psi in the pics on the side wall. I will insure I keep them at that PSI.

Thanks again! Cant believe I dodged a set of tires/rims!

Andy
AC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234