Topic ClosedTractors and Hobby Farming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractors and Hobby Farming
    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 6:33pm
ROPS is a good idea but I've never had it and I'm still alive.  I have had a friend who lost his son to a rollover though, so they are absolutely no laughing matter.  For me though, I have rough land and have to be careful bushogging, but I mow under low hanging branches a lot.  ROPS would be a real handicap.  Before my MF 35 I had a John Deere 1010 gas tractor.  No ROPS but it had a muffler that stood straight up.  I knocked it off several times.  The MF muffler runs under the rear axle, kind of like a motorcycle.  Never a problem with getting under things.  However, for rough bushhogging you have to be really careful backing up!  There are all kinds of things I'm dumb enough to have had to learn the hard way.

My friend's son was on an old trike style tractor,  I don't remember what kind.  It doesn't take much to tip them over.  A tractor with front wheels on about the same track as the rears is a lot safer.  Arguably, certainly, ROPS is less necessary on a tractor with wide-set front wheels.  I wouldn't have a trike stile tractor.

Although... I had another friend whose father died when his bull dozer flipped over on him. 

I guess the moral of the story is take things slow until you get comfortable on your tractor.  You have to pay attention all the time. 

Oh, yeah, one thing I think is really important for a new used tractor is to make sure the brakes work well.  Being able to use the right or left brake to help make sharp turns is great and, as far as I'm concerned pretty much eliminates the need for power steering.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 2:00pm
Well at least the rust color is applied locally for free, you can get it around here with any and all the other colors...

Yes, VOIP via sat data is out for my wife's work, she's on the phone all day. Other than that I see the latency as a benefit because it makes the connection useless for online gaming when the grandkids visit. Evil Smile

If I have to go with sat data I'll probably need to also install a landline.  Remember those? Haven't had one in 10 years.  Almost like having to climb the pole to make phone calls like on Green Acres....

I do like wireless local internet. One supplier has already surveyed and said no line of sight, I still have one more to get out there. US Cellular (of all companies) actually has towers in the area and offers fixed location internet service but its throttled more or less like mobile cellular. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 1:03pm
My two cents worth:
Consider delay time before you commit to a satellite service. The satellites are 22.5K+ miles away and introduce considerable delay. This is not a problem for downloading or streaming but can affect two way and interactive applications. Video conferencing is probably out. I even noticed problems when trying to access my home remote cameras from a friends satellite system. Also, search for local broadband providers that may offer ground based microwave systems. These systems work fairly well if you can see their tower.

As for the tractor search, I can only say 'I wish". I'd love to have a tractor to play with but settled for a zero turn riding mower for my 2.6 acres. When I had 20 acres previously I had a small Case tractor, but alas, it's gone. Good luck on your search and have lots of fun. Orange vs red vs green vs gray vs rust......Hmmmmm.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I'm assuming you have already done a tower search and find them to far for a Yagi & Booster.

Ha, you're within my drive possibility for the right deal! You're smart enough to work out what the requirements are for you. Best of in your research!

Actually I haven't yet, cell data plans are throttled and my wife works from home and uses lots of bandwidth, so I want to try dsl first and see how that works. But now that you mention it I might see if I can pull in a decent signal, at least that would be something for when the phone lines go out. 

I don't have a rig that can tow a 3000-4000 lb tractor plus its trailer so that is going to limit my search area quite a bit unless I can find a seller who will deliver.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 11:40am
Vann, I think your advice is good. In fact, your area is not far from me so if you hear of something you think is a good option please let me know. 

I have no problems getting a well maintained older smaller farm tractor rather than a newer compact utility one, except for the lack of a ROPS. Some can be retrofitted I guess, but it gets pricey. 

Gas vs diesel I don't think is a deal killer for me,  gas will start easier in winter, diesel will have less maintenance. But I can adjust a carb and know what points and condensers are, not a big deal. 

I looked at a 1980 Yanmar today, nice 2wd tractor and heavier than I thought it would be, kinda close to a 50's Ford in terms of weight and wheelbase. It had a 4 speed pto which I'd never seen before. 26hp diesel. 12 fwd and 4 rev gears with something called powershift, automatic hydraulic clutch with a sychronized  gear drive.   No ROPS so I'll find out if it can be retrofitted. 

You're right about collecting the attachments, those can quickly cost more than an older tractor.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:02am

Seems like, as always, there are too many choices and options and it’s hard to actually compare them because they are so divergent.

I may be repeating myself from the earlier posts-but here is what I think:

I do know that most of the later model (’65 on) tractors had power steering available-some standard, some as an option. So that requirement can go either way-newer compact or older small farm tractor.

My tractor is gas, so I have no experience with diesel.  I can’t address the advantages or disadvantages.

The reversing PTO may be a dream-I just know that I was dumb enough to screw my tractor into the ground the first time I dug holes for my pole barn. I do know that both ground speed (for plowing) and engine speed(mowing) PTO are available on my old MF.  I seldom use the ground speed mode but usually use engine speed for mowing. My MF 35 also has a dual action clutch which makes engaging/using the PTO much easier.

I would definitely say that the scraper blade is more versatile that the box blade.  I have used both and ended up selling the box blade.

I can’t help with front end loaders-no experience there. I know that you will probably have to add weights to the rear to compensate for the extra front weight.  You also will need additional hydraulics(pump, reservoir, hoses, etc)

Cost may be a determining factor.  I see “older” tractors in the $5-8k range pretty frequently in our central NC area. Buying implements can be all over the place costwise.  I haven’t priced newer compact tractors, but assume they are much more expensive. So, if you can find a well maintained older tractor, I feel like you can get more for the $$$ spent. The maintenance is pretty easy, the tractors are simple and parts are generally available at reasonable cost. However, these older tractors are not a sophisticated-one tractor forum guy says”after all, you are dealing with ‘50’-60’s technology”.

I have purchased tractors, implements and parts from dealers and from individuals.  Had some good and ‘just ok” results from both.  Lots of on line sources for parts.

I would suggest that you start with whatever tractor you can find somewhat locally at a decent price, knowing that may not be the ultimate tractor you end up with.  Then start acquiring the necessary implements as needed.  All of the implements with be “standard” for 3 point hitch and PTO.  After you have more experience with what you actually need and want, then you will have more information to get the “perfect” tractor for what you really need. Getting a tractor now will get you immediately started, will let you know what you like/dislike about the tractor and give you time to find the better unit.

Regardless of what tractor you purchase, I would suggest that you buy ALL of the manuals you can find for that model-owner’s, workshop, parts lists and get both the original OEM manuals as well as aftermarket.  Particularly on older models the manuals go out of print and can be pretty expensive, but are invaluable.  Also, like RPODS, there are forum for everything.

Good luck

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:00am
Originally posted by offgrid

OK, back "on grid" so to speak. Going to need sat internet at the new place I think..,

Olddawgsrule, no worries, I"m  not going all he way to New England to buy a tractor, and I'm not in a huge rush to buy one anyhow, not even being sure yet what I want/need...God luck on your purchase!

I'm assuming you have already done a tower search and find them to far for a Yagi & Booster.

Ha, you're within my drive possibility for the right deal! You're smart enough to work out what the requirements are for you. Best of in your research!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 5:40am
Yeah, it isn't 12 acres of manicured lawn, that's for sure.....

I've toyed with the idea of getting a UTV and a tow behind weed and brush mower rather than a tractor. That would have the advantage of having a lower center of gravity (smaller wheels) and the UTV would be convenient for other uses. and for my wife to carry stuff around in. But those tow behind cutters are generally only about 4 ft for trail mowing which would take forever and likely not hold up long. Probably by the time the pastures were cut I'd have to start over.....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 9:45pm
If you need to mow even half of 25 acres, 12 acres or so, you should consider something like a Toro Groundsmaster....they can be had used for not a huge amount of money. Assuming your pastures are relatively smooth and mostly all grassy. 

Of course if the terrain is difficult, rough, stepped, heavily contoured, or there is a lot of weeds and brush, then....nevermind....
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 8:27pm
Ha ha. I hate spell checker sometimes...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>