Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTractors and Hobby Farming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractors and Hobby Farming
    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:00am
I have ATT unlimited and have been throttled on it before while travelling and using lots of bandwidth. I get no signal at our new place on it, but sometimes get one bar up the road a bit, so that will be a tough test for the directional antenna. My daughter has Verizon and sometimes gets one bar at the house, so I think that might work. US Cellular has their own towers in the area and the locals all have that, so there is a good possibility. Just got the dsl in, They promised 1.5 mbps which is inadequate but its showing 3 mbps, which just might be enough.  Wife will try working from there next week and see. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:13am
Originally posted by offgrid

I have ATT unlimited and have been throttled on it before while travelling and using lots of bandwidth. I get no signal at our new place on it, but sometimes get one bar up the road a bit, so that will be a tough test for the directional antenna. My daughter has Verizon and sometimes gets one bar at the house, so I think that might work. US Cellular has their own towers in the area and the locals all have that, so there is a good possibility. Just got the dsl in, They promised 1.5 mbps which is inadequate but its showing 3 mbps, which just might be enough.  Wife will try working from there next week and see. 

Well you know the story, if there's signal you can boost, but can't boost no signal.. Hope the DSL works for ya.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:40am
A couple of times I brought in a decent connection using the directional antenna with no service on showing on the phone with booster and omni antenna. Conditions have to be perfect. It was flat terrain, mostly open water in Eastern NC about 30 miles from the tower. So you can bring in a highly attenuated signal if you are in line of sight. 

But down in a hole where line of sight is blocked, forget it. Sometimes though just getting the antenna up 20 ft clears the obstructions. So it all depends on the terrain, tree cover, etc.

You have to do a survey. I've frequently gotten service by selecting a campsite at a higher elevation when there was none lower in the campground. What I usually do is drive through a campground with the phone on booster and omni in the TV. If I get a bar or more then I pick a site in that area. That's one reason I wouldn't want just the RV mounted booster. Having the booster in the TV is invaluable. The other reason is that even when you get no signal in the campground down in the hole often there is one within a couple of miles drive if you have a booster. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 9:44am
Offgrid, Sure you have discovered Tractorhouse.com. You can search regionally, the only issue is the 40K tractors they have are listed by make. Also there are tractor transporters on line. You could rent a truck and trailer. You know - where there's a will.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 9:59am
If you are north of 44 degrees latitude, you can sign up to be a beta tester for Starlink.

Tell Elon I said howdy!

Wink
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:14am
Originally posted by offgrid

Me to seller of loader tractor with attachments: Got a bush hog?
Seller: Yep
Me: Great, I have 12 acres of pasture to mow
Seller: Huh? I don't have a mower for it.
Me: Huh? You just told me you did.
Seller: No I didn't.

After that went on a little it finally became clear that he had a Bush Hog brand loader on his tractor.
So now I say "brush hog".  You can't call it a mower either because that could be a "finish mower".  Embarrassed

In my experience a bush hog is a rotary mower, that works fine on grass but it's generally meant for rougher stuff, and meant for leaving what's cut on the field.  Bush Hog is a brand though too, that makes things other than rotary mowers, so there is that confusion.

In my experience still, a mower is what is used to cut grass for hay.  There are at least a couple of basic types, but they have small sharp cutters, more like knives, on a 6 to 8 foot bar that slice the grass off inches above the ground and lay it down neatly for raking into windrows for baling.  A haybine is a variation that may crimp the grass for faster drying and may even windrow it at the same time.  Mowers and bush hog, or brush hogs, are two very different animals, used for different purposes.

A finish mower is usually a multi-bladed deck mower with wheels on the outer edges to keep the deck level across the cut.  It's used on those giant front lawns of estate houses, for example.   

There is some overlap in how you can uses these attachments but depending on what you do on your farm, you would choose the one most appropriate for your needs.  If you have more than one need, you might need more than one attachment.  A bush hog is a good general tool, and probably what you want, but I used to cut hay so I had to have a mower too.  (And a rake and a baler.)

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:18am
Yep Tractorhouse is a good source. You can search on all tractors and sort by distance, and include price and hours  limits. The most annoying thing is that there are premium adds which get listed first and then the list starts over with regular ads, so you have to sift through premium stuff all the way out to CA and then start again. There are way more used older tractors on there in the East than in the West so its not too bad. 

Lat is about 37 here, I don't like those short winter days farther north....I'm not a big Musk fan anyway, so that's fine with me. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 11:14am
There are a BOATLOAD of millennials and others, hopping on the elon, tesla, and starlink bandwagons. I only signed up cuz I'm curious...kinda. Didn't cost me a dime.

In fact I had my 'link' to the 'stars' the other night when I rode the bike out into the dark countryside a bit after twilight and pointed my binoculars to a point just below the big dipper and POOF...there it was...Comet Neowise!

It wont be back for hundreds of years, so I thought I'd make the effort. 

Again, didn't cost me a dime.

Clap

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:00pm
One thing about diesel is that it lasts at least a year without stabilizer. Our Kubota takes MONTHS to use a whole tank of gas. So we get it in a 5 gallon can, and it just sits for that amount of time. Gasoline is a little cheaper, but you will probably have to add stabilizer, and then it just barely lasts as long as diesel.

As for internet; the only choice we have here is fixed wireless. Cable will never get here in my lifetime, and DSL will probably be longer, as we're at least 73,000' from the nearest CO. Our cellular service works, but only at the west end of the house and if you're standing on one foot. Starlink might be great once it gets to your latitude, but it will be at least another year (and probably longer). We get our internet via fixed wireless.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:21pm
The good thing about gasoline is that it requires less filtration and you can dump any sitting around in your car once a month or two and just get more. And ethanol free as well. OTOH off road diesel is available at many fuel stations for less $$. Lots of farmers in the area. Probably though I will end up with a diesel tractor because gasoline went out of favor a little before ROPS became mandatory I think. Gets cold here though (relative to CA) so I'm a bit concerned about winter starts. 

I have fixed wireless too and its a great service but so far none of the providers have service at our new location. I was pretty surprised the DSL worked, this place is 2 miles up a gravel road and there ie nothing anywhere close by on the highway either. Going to have to find out where the CO is. Maybe that's why the only promise 1.5 mbps? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>