R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst Time Winterizing an RV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Time Winterizing an RV
    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 2:37pm
That time is drawing near and i need all the info and tips i can get before i start the procedure later this month. Also, i plan to cover the fridge and water heater vents outside with a cut tarp and some tuck tape to prevent snow from getting in. I own the 2011 RP172 model. All suggestions welcome. Tks.
2011 RP172
2015 Toyota Tacoma
Newfoundland, Canada
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 2:44pm
I don't think you need to cover the vents. I haven't done it in the 5 years or so I've onwed a camper. If you want, the dealer will do it for about 125.00. I just started doing that last year. I'd rather save my weekends for other stuff.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 3:49pm
Without a long narrative,- Google Rpod Winterization. Members have made some great interweb videos of both winterization procedures. Air and anti-freeze injection. I live in middle TN and use the air method, usually in December. The object is to get water out or inject antifreeze to remove chance of freezing. The water heater needs to be empty and bypassed if you use antifreeze. Don't forget the toilet valve and the outside shower. From your post I would assume you are an antifreeze owner. BTW - I also have never covered my outside vents.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 4:12pm
2011 177 owner for 9+ years, northern Michigan so a tad south of you.  Except for the first year of ownership I have used air to blow out my lines and then use a total of 16 oz. pink rv antifreeze for the 2 sink and shower drains.  The little I have left over (maybe 2 tablespoons) goes on top of the toilet valve to keep it moist throughout the winter.  No issues.  If you wish to PM me I can give you a step by step method how I have done it but mcarter has aptly directed you to look at the interweb videos and/or google r/pod winterization, that should clarify any questions you may have about this process.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:41pm
I used to have this as a Word document but a computer change left me without Word. So here it is in a reply:

Winterizing Steps:

1) Open both low-point drains underneath the camper. These usually hang down along the left edge under the floor. You will need two crescent wrenches, or equivalent - one to hold the upper "nut", one to twist off the lower nut.

2) Open the hot and cold valves on the kitchen sink, then remove the anode rod plug on the hot water heater. Water will gush out - but it will not be under pressure. Inspect and replace the anode if necessary (about every two years). The water heater must be stored dry, do not try to fill it with antifreeze. Wait for the water to stop running out of the drains and plug hole. Using a garden hose, flush any debris from inside the water heater tank. If you don't need to inspect your anode rod you can pull open the pressure relief valve at the top of the water heater to speed up the draining process (some people do not recommend doing this due to a fear of damaging it, but others do it all the time w/o a problem). Insert the anode rod, using a layer of teflon tape on the threads.

3) Turn all 3 bypass valves on the hot water heater. The valves are inside the trailer on the back of the water heater - look on the outside of the camper to see where the water heater is located. The valves on the cold and hot water lines will now be perpendicular to the water lines (closed), and the valve between the hot and cold lines will now be parallel (open).

4) Attach a "blow-out plug" to the city water connection. This has an air inlet on one end like the Schrader valves on your tires, and threads to attach to the water connection. Any RV dealer should have one of these plugs. Apply LOW pressure air (less than 20 psi) until the low-point drains stop sputtering. Close the low-point drains finger-tight.

5) Open each valve inside the camper, one at a time, until it sputters and then close it. Don't forget the toilet and shower. Remove the blow-out plug. If your camper has the black tank rinse connection, apply air to this connection for several seconds using the blow-out plug.

6) Inside the trailer, remove the access panel for the water pump (on the 171 its the same location as the water heater). On the intake line for the water pump, you'll notice a valve and about 2 1/2' of tubing that's loose on one end. A few model years did not include this at all, later models don't have the valve and you must remove the intake hose to attach the antifreeze pick-up hose. If you don't have one you can buy the pick-up hose from any dealer. Flip the valve and put the loose end into your jug of PINK RV antifreeze (DO NOT USE ORANGE OR GREEN AUTO ANTIFREEZE). The pump will now draw from the jug of antifreeze instead of your fresh water tank.

7) Turn on the switch for the water pump.

8) Turn on the taps at the sink and in the shower, one at a time. Let each run until the water is the color of your antifreeze (pink), then close it.

9) Run the toilet until the water is pink. Flush what comes out at first, but leave some of the pure antifeeze in the bowl for the winter.

10) Open the low-point drains again, let them run until you see pink. Close them tightly.

11) Pull the hose out of the antifreeze bottle just enough so it can't suck up any more antifreeze. Turn on the sink again for a second or two until the antifreeze is out of the intake line. This keeps the sticky antifreeze from running all over the floor when you pull the intake completely out of the bottle.

12) Close the valve near the water pump, stow the intake hose and close the access panel, turn off the power for the water pump.

13) Outside and underneath the trailer, open your freshwater tank's drain valve and allow it to empty.

14) Pour some RV antifreeze into the shower and sink drains to fill the water traps.

15) Make sure the black and gray waste water tanks are empty. The last dump of the season fill both tanks full of water before dumping. Repeat at least once.

16) Set the fridge's door latch so it stays open - look at the assembly on the wall of the fridge, you can slide it out some so when the door is latched it stays open enough to prevent mold from growing. Or just hang a hand towl over the door so it won't close.

17) Open the lower fridge vent and look for the white drip cup. It can be removed by pulling it towards you. Empty and replace. 

18) Remove the 9 volt batteries from the smoke and CO detectors, and make sure the lead-acid battery is disconnected.

Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:44pm
Thanks for the fantastic winterizing steps....this is very helpful as I was also just wondering how to do this (first winter with my 2011 177).

Couple questions....

Q1:  Can I use a tire/inflatable toy compressor to do the blow-out or do you need a full out air-tool compressor?

Q2:  Do you open the low point drain with the pump switch ON?  Isn't that going to create a situation where you may have trouble getting the cap back on (being under pump pressure)?  Or do you turn the pump off for that step?

Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:26am
Grant, you will need an air tool compressor to give the volume necessary to blow out all water in the lines.  Leave the pump switch OFF during this process.
God's pod
'11 model 177
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 4:17pm
+1 to Jato, I bought a pancake compressor for the purpose, relatively inexpensive.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 8:32pm
I have one important caution for you if you use a compressor--it was listed above. I want to make a special point about the air pressure. Make sure you have at least one valve/faucet  open  as the air pressure can be very high and blow out a connection if you haven't properly adjusted the compressor first.  You only need 20-25 psi to blow out the water in the lines.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 6:00am
+1 to Vann's statement.  Our compressor is set at 85 psi and during blow out and we ALWAYS LEAVE 1 LINE OPEN !  Takes less than 2 minutes to go through both sinks and toilet 2 x.  Never even disconnected low point drains for the first 4 years of ownership.  They were safely hidden under 3" of foam sprayed over them from the factory.  After finding them (after blowing out the system) and opening them up, each side had 2 drops of water to  "drain out."  Since then (5 years ago) they haven't been opened and this is going through northern Michigan winters.  No leaks or issues encountered.
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>