R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSizing Santa Fe and R-Pod 178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sizing Santa Fe and R-Pod 178
    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 5:13am
Originally posted by jbar

Thanks again all.  We are now discussing a beefier vehicle.  Sounds like a 2010 (or newer) 3.5L Toyota Highlander would be the minimum to safely tow but I've got to research more.

That's what I tow with. It is fine for the 179 including boondocking loads, but I wouldn't go any smaller on the tow vehicle or any larger on the trailer. You will still want a weight distribution hitch and antisway system. A 5000 lb rated Honda Pilot or other comparable mid-size SUV would also work. 

If you go the Highlander route be sure to confirm with the VIN that you are really getting a Highlander with the 5000 lb tow rating. Any Toyota parts dept can do that for you.  Not all 3.5 V6 Highlanders are rated for that. There is an additional oil cooler for one thing that you effectively cannot add aftermarket. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jbar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 6:02am
Great advice on the VIN check.  I like having an upgraded oil cooler and radiator fan(s) and will research those as well.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 6:49am
The 5000 lb tow Highlanders have an oil cooler, upgraded rad and rad fans, tranny cooler, and a higher capacity alternator. I've never had the slightest hint of overheating in mine, and the alt runs the fridge on 12V plus its normal loads no problem. Of course, I'm in the East so I don't know how it would do say on a long grade in AZ in the summer. 

One other consideration in selecting a tow vehicle. No matter what you tow with you will get around 13-14 mpg because fuel consumption is dominated by trailer air drag. Less in the mountains going up and down grades. So, the small SUV's with 15-ish gallon fuel tanks don't really work well, you end up stopping for gas every 120 miles or so, and you better fill up before heading into a remote area or you might not get back. The Highlander tank is about 20 gal which gives you a practical range of about 200 miles. Big difference. I wouldn't want anything smaller than that. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jbar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 7:03pm
My girlfriend just bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent - 30K.  I was surprised
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:40am
Hopefully she got the 5000 lb tow rated version..
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:48am
Try towing with a full size pickup or Suv sometime.  You will never go back.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:09am
Originally posted by john in idaho

Try towing with a full size pickup or Suv sometime.  You will never go back.

I went back. I got tired of driving around in a big pickup truck all the time. If I was using the vehicle exclusively for towing than sure, a big truck is better, but I, like most people, need my vehicle to serve multiple purposes. A mid sized AWD SUV is comfortable for the family, has lots of enclosed secure space, is easy to maneuver and park, and can go most anywhere I need it to. 

I won't be getting a pickup again. In order to have enough room in the cab for a family you either have to get a pickup with a turning radius about the size of a football field or you end up with what I consider to be a vestigial truck bed. I can get longer objects in my SUV than folks can get in those 5 1/2 ft truck beds. And a roof rack is easy on an SUV. I have an old straight load two horse trailer I leave the divider out of that I use for big, tall or dirty stuff, and it keeps the stuff secure and out of the rain too. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jbar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:25am
Yes, 5000 lb. We just need to add the oem tow hitch. Apparently, several of the aftermarket ones don’t have good tongue weight
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:30am
Originally posted by offgrid

I went back. I got tired of driving around in a big pickup truck all the time. If I was using the vehicle exclusively for towing than sure, a big truck is better, but I, like most people, need my vehicle to serve multiple purposes. A mid sized AWD SUV is comfortable for the family, has lots of enclosed secure space, is easy to maneuver and park, and can go most anywhere I need it to.

Same here.  I love my Xterra's manueverability offroad and in the central business district.  It's just a pain to navigate a big boat in restricted quarters.  But yeah, a big rig definitely would make it easier when towing, but that's only about 10% of my miles.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:47am
Originally posted by jbar

Yes, 5000 lb. We just need to add the oem tow hitch. Apparently, several of the aftermarket ones don’t have good tongue weight

Check whether Subaru authorizes use of a weight distribution hitch with the OEM receiver. You will prefer the ride and handling towing with a wdh. Some manufacturers allow them, some don't, and some are silent on the issue. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>