R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp Choosing a Tow Vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Choosing a Tow Vehicle
    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:34am
I do hope to start test driving some vehicles next week. But before I go into a dealership, I want to be pretty solid in my options. I don't trust sales people, in general, especially being a single female. Too often, they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to make a sale. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:44am
Originally posted by podwerkz

You did not mention a budget (or shopping used) so I assume you are looking at brand new trucks?

I'm not a Toyota fan so I will steer you towards the mid-sized Nissan Frontier or Ford Ranger.

Right.... might as well get a brand with a lower reliability rating and resale value. Confused

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:54am
You mentioned a full size SUVa one option.
We purchased a used 2012 Ford Expedition in 2015 that had 28000 miles. We have driven/towed 65000 miles with it and have had no issues. It has more than adequate towing capacity and plenty of cargo weight capacity and space for carrying whatever we want. We love it.I would recommend that you consider the Expedition. It comes in 2 different sizes with lots of options. We have the 3.73 rear axle ratio for towing.  We just returned from a 600 mile round trip towing our 179 and averaged 12.5mpg.  No mountains or winds involved-flat land.

good luck and welcome
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Gypsiejanie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:55am
Il'l have to buy used, but newer used with lower mileage. I think I've settled on bigger is better, so I've decided to look at full size PUs. That will cover all of my needs. My dad always had a Ford PU but I've always driven a Toyota or a Honda. I'll just have to do some test drive and get a sense of what feels right. Thanks for your input.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:01am
Yes, thanks for the link. Interesting. I think I'm settling on a Toyota Tundra.
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:17am
Good luck in finding a TV for your 196.  My wife and I have a 179 and recently got a "new to us" TV which is a 08 Pathfinder 4.0 L which has a 6000 towing capacity which is more than enough for our 179.  We have not had any towing problems going from Michigan to Florida then to Rockhound State Park in NM.  Really enjoy NM SPs if they ever reopen. I would recommend an anti sway / equalizing hitch as part of your setup.  It makes the driving part of the trip much more enjoyable and safer.  Have fun.
Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:21am
Nothing wrong with buying used. Lots of people keep their vehicles for only about 5 years at which point they might have 70-80K miles. That's nothing for a well maintained vehicle from a good brand these days. At that point they cost under half of new but have at least 2/3 of their useful life left. That is the sweet spot for me. 

Both Toyota and Honda have very good reliability ratings. The Tundra or Sequoia would work for you, nothing in the Honda lineup would be capable of towing the trailer you've selected safely. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:21am
Thank you! I will be sad leaving New Mexico but will return often to camp with the Grand kids!
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 10:30am
I bought my Dodge Durango my 2016 used from a Dodge dealer.  It was a lease vehicle with 32,000 miles on it.  I now have 90,000 on it and no real issues,  Have towed both my 179 and now my 196 with no problems.  It has paddle shifters which I had before and really like,  If I let the car pick which gear it wants to use it uses 6th gear at 60 but I find I can use the paddle shifters and run in 7th gear at 60.  By doing this I pick up to 2 mpg better mileage.  It has the V6 motor and all wheel drive.
The Pirate's Pod
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 12:53pm
Our Tacoma works just fine towing a 195. The only caution, and its a big one in my opinion, is a strong head wind will hold you back. On the freeways in the west that can be a problem. We could only get 55 mph on an 80 mph freeway, so had to pull off for the day to let the wind subside. Good luck in finding the right rig for YOU and welcome to the forum!
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>