R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpeed limits on freeway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed limits on freeway
    Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:07am
See this topic:  I wrecked our escaPod.

Quite a saga.  Wonder how long repairs would take had this happened these days...
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:37am
I went to that thread and kinda scanned thru it......mainly reading your posts....seems like you should name your r-pod, 'Phoenix'...and that trip back home could be called the Flight of the Phoenix.

Pilots know all about 'getthereitis'...and as a truck driver for about 40 years....I'm familiar with it also. 

Glad it turned out ok...Thumbs Up
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:17am
Originally posted by podwerkz

Originally posted by StephenH

Instead, since I was towing the legal speed, the accident was written up as "unavoidable."

Accident? 

Shocked
See this topic:  I wrecked our escaPod.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:13am
Originally posted by EchoGale

+1 to Pod Geek. Many of us have noted in the past that while the state highways seem like they'll take longer, if you are slowing to the recommended 60-65 in practice they don't. 

In fact, the estimated travel times on (for example) Google Maps are much more accurate since you'll be going much closer to the posted speed limit.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 7:34am
I own a 179. Sounds like you are buying one out of state. Make sure your black tank hanger is secure before you hit the road. Several people on the forum have had the same issue I have had with the hanger failing when traveling. I would bring some wire with me to reinforce the hanger for the trip home, then fix it properly when home.  

After several "escape the winter" roundtrips MI to FL and back, here are my takes: Optimal speed is right about 60 mph. With occasional rest stops and a lunch break, about 300-350 miles a day works well for me. As mentioned by others, there is a cumulative effect of towing fatigue. I've found that if I take miles I want to drive and divide by 45 that will yield about the right time needed to get there. So 350 miles will take just under 8 hrs. in the truck. If I'm doing more than a few days in a row, I need an extra day's rest before I take off again. A tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) to me is pretty much essential equipment. I've used the EEZ TPMS for several years now and it has been excellent. Do a full walk around your rig and TV at every rest stop. All the best and congrats!
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:18pm

Instead, since I was towing the legal speed, the accident was written up as "unavoidable."

Accident? 

Shocked
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 7:16pm
When we were in Wyoming on I80 and hit the ice, the trooper asked how fast I was going. I told him 60 mph. Turns out that is the legal towing speed there. If I had been going the 80 MPH that the big rigs were going, I would likely have been cited. Instead, since I was towing the legal speed, the accident was written up as "unavoidable."

It is something not widely known that not all states allow towing at the same speed as when not towing. For the most part, I don't see many RVs pulled over for speeding. However, it is prudent to be aware of, and comply with the towing speed limits just in case something happens.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:52pm
In VA trailers and trucks have the same speed limit as cars, typically 70. The trucks are usually running at 75 and the cars at 80 here on rural I81. It might feel intimidating at first but I keep to 65 or just below while towing, they just have to go around.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:46am
In California the max for trailer-towing vehicles is the double nickel (AKA 55 MPH). That said, 60 MPH is our top speed. That's partly for fuel economy, partly for safety, and not necessarily in that order. If we get 400 miles in a day, we're good, but that's a long day.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:35am

After a 10 hour trip turned into a 16 hour trip(before R-Pod days) followed a week later by a stroke, I do not do extended driving unless there is no other choice. I'm on an anticoagulant now to help prevent another stroke. We can by no means do the extended driving. If we cover 300 miles in a day, we count it good. We can do more, but no 500 to 600 miles. As has been said, you will learn what works for you. 
This isn't a competition and there are no excuses needed.  I just wanted to make the point that there is a wider range of possibilities than those to which one person may limit themselves.

I'm old enough to retire but haven't yet, so I have a limited amount of time for vacations.  It's really hard to get two weeks off at once.  So if I want to go to Cape Breton (from Nashville), and I want to spend as much time as possible in Cape Breton, I feel like I need to put in long days on the road.  For me, it's worth it.  Maybe not wise, but it's how I want to do it.  Same with the Nashville to the Outer Banks trip.  I get as far down the road the first day as I can so that we can get to our campsite in Frisco early the second day.  We usually stop overnight somewhere in or around Wake Forest, coincidentally.

There are certainly other legitimate and more leisurely ways to travel.  Maybe when I retire and can take a trip that can be 2, or 3, or 4 weeks long I'll slow down and smell the roses along the way.  I have done several trips out west and in Mexico and Canada, sans Pod, with no grand destination.  We've followed our noses and had plenty of less than 200 mile days.  I like that kind of trip a lot too.  By "no destination" I mean we don't head out with an end point in mind. where we stay and from which we'll turn around and come back.  There are always a lot of sort of mini-destinations along the way.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>