R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpeed limits on freeway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed limits on freeway
    Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Instead, since I was towing the legal speed, the accident was written up as "unavoidable."

Accident? 

Shocked
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 7:34am
I own a 179. Sounds like you are buying one out of state. Make sure your black tank hanger is secure before you hit the road. Several people on the forum have had the same issue I have had with the hanger failing when traveling. I would bring some wire with me to reinforce the hanger for the trip home, then fix it properly when home.  

After several "escape the winter" roundtrips MI to FL and back, here are my takes: Optimal speed is right about 60 mph. With occasional rest stops and a lunch break, about 300-350 miles a day works well for me. As mentioned by others, there is a cumulative effect of towing fatigue. I've found that if I take miles I want to drive and divide by 45 that will yield about the right time needed to get there. So 350 miles will take just under 8 hrs. in the truck. If I'm doing more than a few days in a row, I need an extra day's rest before I take off again. A tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) to me is pretty much essential equipment. I've used the EEZ TPMS for several years now and it has been excellent. Do a full walk around your rig and TV at every rest stop. All the best and congrats!
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:13am
Originally posted by EchoGale

+1 to Pod Geek. Many of us have noted in the past that while the state highways seem like they'll take longer, if you are slowing to the recommended 60-65 in practice they don't. 

In fact, the estimated travel times on (for example) Google Maps are much more accurate since you'll be going much closer to the posted speed limit.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:17am
Originally posted by podwerkz

Originally posted by StephenH

Instead, since I was towing the legal speed, the accident was written up as "unavoidable."

Accident? 

Shocked
See this topic:  I wrecked our escaPod.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:37am
I went to that thread and kinda scanned thru it......mainly reading your posts....seems like you should name your r-pod, 'Phoenix'...and that trip back home could be called the Flight of the Phoenix.

Pilots know all about 'getthereitis'...and as a truck driver for about 40 years....I'm familiar with it also. 

Glad it turned out ok...Thumbs Up
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:07am
See this topic:  I wrecked our escaPod.

Quite a saga.  Wonder how long repairs would take had this happened these days...
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:34am
The official aviation term is "continuation bias", a form of cognitive bias to continue with the plan despite changing conditions. It is quite hard for type A personalities to overcome, they have learned to have life success by by being aggressive and willful. As most pilots are in this category (or they wouldn't be able to either afford an airplane or the training, often military) continuation bias is at least a partial cause of the majority of aviation accidents. In my personal flying experience I know its hard to overcome, especially flying IFR where air traffic control expects you to follow the clearance you've been given all the way to the destination and you have to request and be approved for any changes. Now you have both your own gethomeitis and the federal government's (FAA's) dowhatyou'resposedtodoitis to overcome. 

Since there is more awareness/training in this area in aviation than other occupations I'd expect that it is very common cause of over the road accidents and other fields as well. 

I'd hope my surgeon was trained in this area if I was on the table. Would that be called takeitoutnomatter whattitis? LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:45am
Getthereitis is so common in the trucking industry that one time I got in trouble because I DIDN'T have a wreck...and the guy who was an hour behind me DID have a wreck on the same stretch of icy road in Ohio. 

The owner of the small fleet of trucks was pissed that his good friend and employee with a LOT more years of experience than I did at the time, jackknifed and put the truck in the ditch, an hour after I had gone thru the same conditions with no trouble at all. At the time it was my first winter season up north as a truck driver. 

My boss said I made his friend 'look bad'....

This same bias affects pilots..."hey that other plane landed OK on the ice with poor braking and a slight tailwind....how bout we try it also?"

Ooops.

Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 11:02am
We tow a 179 with a Lexus GX470 - as far as I know,  pretty much the same V8 and tranny as your rig. You're from the west so you know about mountain driving. We live in Colorado. I would say we average 60. On long, straight stretches (think utah and wyoming) closer to 65 cruising, but try not to go above that. Take our time on hills. If its windy, especially if a headwind,  we notch it down. With a good WDH and  sway control, its pretty darn stable. Really important to keep your speed under control going downhill - make  sure that your brake controller is properly adjusted so that your vehicle brakes arent doing all of the work.

Driving long stretches in the midwest and west is much easier than the east and southeast - less traffic except near cities, and fewer curves. I dont think that 450 is unreasonable under the  right conditions. If you start out early, thats 8 hours driving plus  stops, so maybe 10 hours or so. We  prefer to drive less  and there's always stuff to see. But we're retired and have no schedule - not everyone has that luxury.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 11:17am
Originally posted by podwerkz

I went to that thread and kinda scanned thru it......mainly reading your posts....seems like you should name your r-pod, 'Phoenix'...and that trip back home could be called the Flight of the Phoenix.

Pilots know all about 'getthereitis'...and as a truck driver for about 40 years....I'm familiar with it also. 

Glad it turned out ok...Thumbs Up

One of the popular sayings is "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there aren't any old-bold pilots."
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>