R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpeed limits on freeway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed limits on freeway
    Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 12:13pm
I've heard that one. 

I had a motorcycle once. I got rid of it before I learned the statistic that there are only two kinds of motorcycle drivers--those who have had an accident and those who are going to have an accident.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 1:25pm
There are no 'accidents'....only crashes, wrecks, impacts, multi-vehicle crashes, jackknifes, spinouts, unscheduled get-offs, rollovers, highsides, lowsides, CFITs, de-railments, explosions, implosions, and lying upside down in a ditch. Plus many other occurrences that bend metal, break glass, cause damage, injuries, and fatalities.

But there are no such things as 'accidents'.

Thumbs Down

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 8:16am
I have one of those gethomeitis and do what the FAA expects pilot stories. IFR from Cape Cod to Frederick MD in the days when low cost Nexrad was just becoming available in the cockpit. About a 3 hour flight. Filed and was cleared down over JFK, NJ and DE coast, then right turn and on over BWI west toward central md. As we passed into MD we went into solid IMC (instrument meteorological conditions). The area forecast had warned of embedded tstorms so I asked ATC if they were painting any weather. They said no, and no pireps (pilot reports). So on we went Got set up on the approach and ran straight into a level 3 cell. Lost radio contact and didn't want to screw up all the traffic in the busy airspace so I continued the approach, after tightening our seatbelts cause we were banging our heads against the ceiling. Had to hand fly the approach, autopilot wouldn't stay on.

Got on the ground in pouring rain but just rain, we'd passed through the cell. Just sat in the plane for a half hour. Wife said she'd never seen me hand fly an approach that well, indicator needles centered the whole time. When we finally got out the paint was gone off the leading edges of the wings and tail. No hail damage, just from the rain.

Turns out ATC's radars at that time were 20 plus years old and didn't show much weather detail. And ATC has no obligation to report weather anyhow, their responsibility is traffic separation. So I ordered Garmin's satellite Nexrad the next day and that was the last time I ever flew into clouds when embedded tstorms were forecast. The airplane needed new paint anyway...
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:37am
When I tell people I fly IFR, I mean I Follow Roads.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:16am
Accident in the sense that most of them are not intentional which is the opposite. The event can vary, but nobody intends to have one of them, thus accident is appropriate. It is also the common use.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Accident in the sense that most of them are not intentional which is the opposite. The event can vary, but nobody intends to have one of them, thus accident is appropriate. It is also the common use.

Times they are a changin'...

How powerful is one word? Traffic safety activists are among those who believe words influence people in tremendous ways. Because of this belief, several advocacy groups are fighting to have the word "crash" replace "accident" when referring to automobile collisions.

Many people believe that saying "accident" makes it wrongly appear as though crashes are inevitable rather than preventable. In truth, the majority of auto fatalities and injuries could be prevented if it were not for drunk driving, distracted driving, poor road conditions, speeding or negligence by one of the drivers....

https://www.sidgilreath.com/learn/car-crash-replace-accident.html

Search "crash vs accident" and you'll find many hits just like this one.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 1:22pm
Accident, as StephenH points out, are events that lack a specific intent to bring about the event causing injury or damage.  But, as Pod_Geek points out, the word accident covers quite a spectrum of conduct.  It ranges from practically intentional, in that the conduct leading to the "accident" was intentional and constituted a willful and wanton disregard for the safety of others -- such as driving 100 mph through a school zone when children are crossing the street -- to that which is beyond the control of anyone and is often referred to in the legal biz as an act of God, or in lay terms, s**t happens.  

Most "accidents" involve some level of carelessness or negligence in the root cause, but lack an intent to result in some injury.  Some levels of carelessness or negligence can be criminally sanctioned, while on the other extreme of the spectrum, some result only in the obligation to compensate the injured party who suffered a loss due to someone's negligence.  Finally, at the far end of the spectrum are events that one cannot anticipate that result in injuries, such a boulder being shaken loose by an earth quake and rolling down a hill, crushing your rPod as you tow it along the road well within the speed limit.  It was not caused by anyone's carelessness in acting or failing to act.  It is simply a matter of s**t happens.

We all consider the context of the event when we use the term "accident" and are not really confused by it.  It's hardly worth the bother to worry about using another more PC term in its place.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by lostagain

...It's hardly worth the bother to worry about using another more PC term in its place.

As is pointed out by many of the individuals/entities that are advocating the use of "crash" instead of "accident", words have meaning.  The term "accident" implies to many people that the event was no one's fault.  In many (most?) cases this is simply not true.

That ain't "PC" in my book.  It's more an acknowledgement of reality.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 2:40pm
Even the term "crash" has to be contextualized to have meaning.  StephenH's crash/accident was completely beyond his control caused through no lack of due care on his part.  A crash/accident involving a drunken driver, on the other hand, is an utterly avoidable tragedy.  The term "crash" doesn't differentiate these any better than the common usage of "accident."  Bottom line, use what you like and see how its meaning is interpreted.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 4:40pm
Accident:

an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

In aviation, road, and industrial safety the modern approach is to view these events as the end result of a sequence of decisions and behaviors any one of which could have been changed and resulted in a different outcome.

So there indeed are very few true accidents, as podwerkz and podgeek rightly argue. This is not pc gibberish either, we are not powerless to prevent these events and they are not unexpected, nor are they unintentional since there are well understood behaviors that can be changed.

Just consider how many near misses there are for every OSHA reportable injury or how many close calls there are on the road for every crash. Those near misses are squandered learning opportunities, and when someone is injured or killed you can't simply shrug your shoulders and say there's nothing to be done. If you are the manager and one of your employees gets injured or you are the driver and someone in your or another vehicle gets injured you are responsible. Period. Because it is an intentional act to engage in or tolerate unsafe behaviors.

We at one point acquired a solar integrator with a great sales capability but they were abysmal installers. I had multiple crews of workers installing solar on roofs who among many other behaviors were not using proper fall protection. It's a PITA at first to work on a roof in harness if you've ever done it. There was also a lot of macho bs involved, real men don't wear fall protection. Unfortunately pretty common attitudes in the construction trades.

When you dug into it every single person on the crews had experienced at least one close call. They just didn't think about what those close calls were trying to teach them, even after a couple serious fall injuries had occurred. There was nothing at all accidental about those injuries, they were statically predictable with high confidence and caused by intentional behaviors.

It was very difficult to change those ingrained unsafe behaviors and not everyone made the journey. Some folks left on their own and some were fired. It required intense management commitment.

It's always management at fault, never the workers' fault. That's not bs either btw. You have to prove it when you say your employees' safety is more important than profit because they of course won't believe you. You can't tolerate unsafe attitudes and behaviors, even subtle ones because that is a test of your level of commitment.

In the end the crew members looked out for each other and the reportable fall injury rate dropped to zero. We began tracking near misses which is really a much better metric because if done well it gives you insight in advance into what unsafe behaviors remain or develop that are about to hurt or kill someone.

When you drive your personal rig you are your own manager so are 100% responsible for what happens.You can choose to learn from your own and others' close calls and not so safe behaviors and make changes or not, it's up to you.

stephenH for one has clearly learned from his experiences, he no longer runs a marginal tow vehicle and has the most complete anti sway setup of anyone on this forum. Belt and suspenders and another belt, it's impressive.

This is why it gripes me when for example I see things ike runnng a mid sized rpod behind a light tow vehicle without knowing your actual weights. That is an example of an unsafe behavior, it's wishful thinking and if an "accident" were to result due to being unable to control the rig it would be entirely predictable and avoidable.

Sorry for the rant but as the former manager of construction crews where people were getting injured on my watch I had to suck it up and can't just be quiet now when I see unsafe behaviors, including from fellow forum members. That makes me a PITA sometimes but I can easily live with that compared to the alternative. I know what that feels like too and it's not a good feeling at all.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>