R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpeed limits on freeway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed limits on freeway
    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 6:41pm
In May, we're driving cross country from Illinois, to Idaho, I-80 most of the way. We're driving a V-8 Tacoma pulling a 179, and we have stabilizer/anti sway bars on the rig/RV. 

We are newbies. 

My husband is nervous about this long drive. It will be our FIRST trip out and our FIRST time pulling an RV.

---What speed on the freeway is safest?

---We're thinking of driving about 8 hours a day, so if we go 55, that would be about 450 miles. Does that seem reasonable when pulling an RV, vs. just driving?

---Any tips on coping with wind in Nebraska and Wyoming? 

---Any general safety tips for a long trip? 
(We'll check the tires carefully before we leave, for one thing)

Along the way will be using freecampsites.net, a suggestion from another forum member. Looks like a very handy source!

You guys are great. Thanks!

LTheo
2018 179
2014 Toyota Tundra
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 7:27pm
Welcome to this forum, your 24/7 owners manual.

Safest freeway speed is whatever you are comfortable with, as long as you don't go over the max. legal speed.  We have towed our 177 mainly with a couple different Explorers ('08 and '13) and most recently a '17 F-150 for over 34,000 miles just using a Curt anti-sway bar on each with no issues.

We find it good for our bodies to take a break after 2.5 to 3 hours driving just to get out and stretch  legs for a bit and refreshing the mind as well as keeping us more alert IMHO.

Pulling a trailer will place a bit more effort and wear on your body than just driving your Tacoma solo.  For us 450 miles is not unreasonable when driving across the midwest, but would be a lot going through the Rockies.  Your body will let you know when you have had enough and it is time to call it a day. 

We usually travel 60-65 on the highway, rarely do we ever pass anybody at that speed which is fine with me, I am not in a race and certainly love to see God's creation as we travel across this country.  After 10 years now of towing our 177 there was only one time when we decided to wait out a storm as winds were over 40 mph and we were observing a lot of trailers swaying enough, as well as smart semi drivers pulling off onto the shoulder to make our decision easier - that was in Kansas.  Enjoy your journey!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 7:32pm
No faster than 60 MPH.

WDH with sway control or electronic sway control such as the Hayes Sway-Master. I recommend it as it does work and makes it a lot safer. This is important with the wind. Now, the RPod is better than the 5th wheels because it is lower and does not catch as much wind. Better does not mean that you won't get pushed. It is just that you won't get pushed as hard.  Again, the Hayes Sway-Master or equivalent such as that from Tuson are very helpful. You already have sway control, but the electronic sway control is for those situations where regular sway control might not be enough. I encountered one such situation which is why I take the belt and suspenders approach.

You are optimistic on the 450 miles. Plan on between 300 and 400. You will want to stop for meals and other necessary stops. You can get the 450, but you will figure out what you are most comfortable with as you go.

Yes, check the tires carefully. Check the pressure regularly. Check the lug nuts to be sure they are tight. If the wheels were off, check at 50 miles, 100 miles, and then you can start with checking daily. Have a torque wrench for this.

I use the RV Parky app on my phone to help find free places to stay. It has been very useful.

Drive safely. Remember that the journey is part of the adventure. Relax and get there safely.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:09pm
In addition to the above, go weigh your fully loaded rig before the trip. If you look at my recent posts I describe how to do that, put the data in an online calculator, which will tell you how you are loaded relative to your specs and limitations.

Also, I'd recommend getting an IR thermometer, you can use it both to confirm proper trailer brake operation and tire temperatures. They are around 25 to 30$ on Amazon. Check your trailer brakes every morning by stopping the rig using the manual control on your brake controller.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:28pm
Welcome :-) 60 - 65 mph top speed, even when you can go faster. Things happen fast with the two vehicles connected to each other. You have to watch behind and around you all the time when traveling 15+ mph slower than the other traffic and it is tiring.
    My DW (dear wife) calls it a day around 350 miles. She does not drive, but can only sit for so long unless there's a good reason to go further.
    You will be stopping more often for gas on the freeway. Two lanes are not usually as hard on gas, but still cut your mpg's. The non-freeways are less stressful, but with your goal of picking up and bringing the new TT home, understandable that you don't have the time to waste.
    We are fans of the Equalizer 4 hitches properly set up for wind/sway control. We were on I-15 in Idaho when strong head winds cut our top speed to 50-55 mph at 5000 rpm. We got off the highway and put it up for the day.
    The DW likes to have 2 days in one spot every 4 days or so just to take a break. Have fun!
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 9:57pm
As retirees, we do most of our traveling in multi-week time frames. We have found that ideally, stop every 3-4 days for 2 nights at the same place for grocery, laundry and other domestic chores.  Plus, just relax and recuperate if you have the time.
Agree that the journey is just as important as the destination in most cases.
We have found (in most cases) that campsites are available Sunday night thru Thursday nights pretty easily.  We can travel then and stay for one nighters and move on if that is the plan.  We try to stay Friday/Saturday in the same place if possible with reservations or arrive early Friday morning for "First come, first Serve" sites.
After a couple of trips, you will learn what works for you and will develop a rhythm. that's part of the appeal.
Travel safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Idahoan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:29pm
Thanks! We're not traveling for fun this trip. Just getting the R-pod home, so we're not staying over anywhere for longer than a night. Looking forward to longer trips in the future when we can stay a while and enjoy ourselves!
LTheo
2018 179
2014 Toyota Tundra
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:31pm
More than about 400 miles in a day is exhausting towing a travel trailer. It's not like driving and staying in hotels. You are driving slower, the driving is more demanding, about double the fuel stops, and then you have to set up camp,either cook and wash dishes or unhitch to go find a restaurant. Then repeat.

If you're accustomed to auto/motel travel I'd subtract about 150 to 200 miles from your daily distance target. No one tows a travel trailer to get sonewhere quick.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Idahoan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:44pm
Good advice, Offgrid, and this is what I was thinking and why I asked! The 450 miles per day is my husband's idea, but honestly, I'm more inclined to take our time a bit and play it by ear. Everybody's different as far as what they can tolerate in driving, and both of us can drive several long days without much trouble---when we're not towing an RV! He is a safe driver and so am I, and the more research we do, the more we both understand that safety is the first concern when towing an RV. So slow and steady will win!

One of the great things about these apps for finding campsites is that we CAN play it by ear and don't have to sweat booking a site every night, since we won't really know how far we'll get. And another great thing is getting advice from folks who know a lot more than we do! Grateful for your thoughts.
LTheo
2018 179
2014 Toyota Tundra
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 11:32pm
How far you go in a day is a very personal thing.  My wife won't drive with the trailer hooked up, but I routinely go 500 to 600 miles in a day if we're trying to get to a destination. I'm not bragging at all -- just saying what works for one person doesn't mean everyone has the same limits.

The trailer does really slow things down. A 600 mile day can mean 14 hours on the road (with time off for pit stops, gas, lunch, etc.)

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>