R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12v system not working, R-POD 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12v system not working, R-POD 180
    Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:10pm
Our battery, only one 12 V, newly replaced, seems to drain very quickly, like in a few hours.  Everything works on shore power, but even with the refrigerator using propane, we can't keep a charge overnight. The battery also seems to charge VERY slowly or not at all from the tow vehicle, which I have confirmed is delivering good voltage.  I have been told another battery will help, but I am reluctant to install one before identifying existing problems (if they in fact exist).  I replaced the power converter but that did not change things.  

Are we asking too much from one 12V battery?  
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:34pm
What do you run on 12v?  The vent fan and the furnace fan run on 12v and they will run the battery down fairly quickly.  The fridge will definitely run the battery down fast if run on 12v,  There is never a good reason to run it on 12v though anyway.  (All this is assuming 12v only -- shore power should keep your battery topped up through the converter.)  Keeping the battery topped up from the TV is iffy, depending on your alternator output as well as the amps your wiring can deliver.  You can have 14v with too few amps to do any good at all.

There are some small drains, like the CO detector, the brains of the fridge, lights on the radio, etc., that will run a battery down in a week or two (or more) but there's something wrong if you're battery is draining overnight unless you're running the furnace, or something like that, fairly intensely.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:37pm
There is also a large drain if the pin in the safety disconnect has been pulled. Check that to make sure the pin is fully inserted so the brakes are not fully energized.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TariS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:48am
Tars Tarkas,
Thanks so much for your quick reply.  We leave Santa Fe tomorrow, traveling I 40 east.  We won't be needing the furnace but traveling without the refrigerator working isn't fun.  Can we travel with the frig running on propane?  We turned the frig off and disconnected the radio and the RPod has kept 2/3 battery charge while sitting in the driveway for two days.  
Hoping for two things on our journey home:  cold refrigerator and hot water.
Thanks again.
TariS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:50am
Thanks StephenH,
I'll check the safety pin this morning.  

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:56am
Originally posted by TariS

Tars Tarkas,
Thanks so much for your quick reply.  We leave Santa Fe tomorrow, traveling I 40 east.  We won't be needing the furnace but traveling without the refrigerator working isn't fun.  Can we travel with the frig running on propane?  We turned the frig off and disconnected the radio and the RPod has kept 2/3 battery charge while sitting in the driveway for two days.  
Hoping for two things on our journey home:  cold refrigerator and hot water.
Thanks again.

Some will disagree with this but yes, you certainly can run the fridge on propane while on the road.  I do it all the time as do hundreds of thousands of other RVers.  Some will say you have to turn the propane off when you go to a gas station.  Not true.  There are myths and there are truths about that.  The myths are incorrect.  There are some ferries and some tunnels where you do have to turn off the propane.

As for hot water, I leave it off when traveling.  The water heater retains warmth for a long time and recovers quickly.  It's only 6 gallons.  If you can wait 10 or 15 minutes for a shower you'll be fine.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:38am
Hello TariS. I might be asking the wrong questions, but here goes...what type of battery did you install? If it is a 12 volt it should be a dedicated deep cycle, not a deep cycle/starting battery which are used in boats. It should especially not be a normal vehicle starting battery as they are designed for large electrical demands for a very short period of time (like starting your vehicle demands). I would also imagine that if it is indeed a deep cycle battery that it at a minimum would be a size 24, possibly a size 27...this just denotes the outside dimensions of the battery and deep cycle batteries are far heavier due to their thicker plates, which are needed to allow deeper discharging of the battery than start batteries.

It is a new battery, but was it allowed to discharge and freeze? This will damage/kill a battery as well. They won't hold a charge.

You can have your battery tested at a local automotive store, sometimes for free. This would determine if you have a faulty battery.

Do not add a 2nd battery to your system as batteries, if tied together should be of identical age, size, manufacturer, capacity etc. One good and one weak or bad battery will ruin the good battery in short order.

A suggestion would be that once you have remedied your situation and you don't have a battery cut off switch to stop any battery drain that you at least disconnect your battery for short periods of no trailer use. For longer periods bring the battery home and either keep a trickle charger on it or charge it every month or 2 to maintain it.

If it is a wet battery (where you can open the caps to check and add distilled water) you can do exactly that if you are comfortable with and know how to do it safely.

You may have a bad battery, and it should be under warranty as it is very new. If you take it to a shop to get it load tested, you might have to get a new one and return the bad one when you get home.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
TariS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:12pm
Thanks TT
We never keep anything on really when traveling.  We'll run on propane for now and hope for battery charge enough to have hot water. 
Thanks for your help and we'll keep you posted....
TS
TariS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:15pm
Campman,
Wow, what a detailed reply.  I'll pass this on to my husband who will understand more about your questions.  Thanks a million
TS
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:00am
Heating water with a battery is not at all efficient with an rv.  Most tow vehicles do not have a high enough output charging system for an rv battery.  

RV refrigerators of the size in an rPod are not particularly efficient.  Having the Refer on the shady side of the trailer helps as much as anything.   Keeping things frozen can be rather iffy.  We did find an ice cube maker at costco that uses minimal 110 v power and makes wonderful ice cubes --just not very faST.  A 1000 w generator would power it easily.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>